BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Remus Exhaust Valves Openning

04-17-2020, 02:05 AM   #1
cuartito94
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 F87

Remus Exhaust Valves Openning

Hi there,

I got stopped yesterday by the police because they wanted to check if my valves open and close correctly. I don't know if this is normal, but my valves remain open in idle (in every driving mode). Te Officer told me that the valves should close and wanted to fine me... that's why I need help on this. In Idle my valves are open, but as soon as i pass 50km/h they close... I always thought that this is the right openning/closing procedure, but when I look at the bmw manual it says that they should be closed in idle. What could be wrong? I have installes the stock valve system.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 02:16 AM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

tell the officer to take it up with BMW. That's the correct default operating behavior on our cars. Also Remus has TUV compliance as well. Tell the officer to pound sand
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910931.00
      04-17-2020, 05:06 AM   #3
Thevesh
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuartito94 View Post
Hi there,

I got stopped yesterday by the police because they wanted to check if my valves open and close correctly. I don't know if this is normal, but my valves remain open in idle (in every driving mode). Te Officer told me that the valves should close and wanted to fine me... that's why I need help on this. In Idle my valves are open, but as soon as i pass 50km/h they close... I always thought that this is the right openning/closing procedure, but when I look at the bmw manual it says that they should be closed in idle. What could be wrong? I have installes the stock valve system.
Oh the dreaded Switzerland. I was checking where you are located to make sure not to go through the country on Alps trip during summer.

Glad to see its not one of the EU countries "yet" 😅
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 06:06 AM   #4
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

I had the same question when I first got the M2 before I had installed my Dinan exhaust because I noticed it stayed open at idle (whether the car was cold or not). When I drove an 8 series as a loaner, when I pushed the comfort button, i could hear the flap close immediately (this was not the case with the M2). The BMW tech told me on an M2 it operates differently; stays open at idle whether the car was in comfort or sport mode.

After installing the Dinan I can confirm the flap works when going to comfort vs sport mode only when the car was moving.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 06:55 AM   #5
Thevesh
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
I had the same question when I first got the M2 before I had installed my Dinan exhaust because I noticed it stayed open at idle (whether the car was cold or not). When I drove an 8 series as a loaner, when I pushed the comfort button, i could hear the flap close immediately (this was not the case with the M2). The BMW tech told me on an M2 it operates differently; stays open at idle whether the car was in comfort or sport mode.

After installing the Dinan I can confirm the flap works when going to comfort vs sport mode only when the car was moving.
You have probably seen this already:
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 12:20 AM   #6
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Remus uses the stock valve actuators from the stock exhaust, so the behavior should be 100% the same as stock.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910931.00
      04-18-2020, 07:10 AM   #7
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

My wife drives a Macan S. I was behind her the other day at a stop sign and could see the exhaust valves. At the stop sign it was open. As soon as she took off it closed. She has the stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0