BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > THE ULTIMATE Intercooler Thread - What to Look For Before Buying an FMIC

04-01-2020, 10:07 AM   #529
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I can tell you this for a fact though, the CSF cooler fits with no modifications and no interference issues.
Appreciate 1
TemjinX2520.50
      04-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #530
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
I can tell you this for a fact though, the CSF cooler fits with no modifications and no interference issues.
I have an M235i, so I may not have the extra bracing. How did it perform?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 03:03 PM   #531
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I have an M235i, so I may not have the extra bracing. How did it perform?
The CSF cooler works great. No lag with a tune and no issues with heat. I do not however track my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 03:07 PM   #532
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattens View Post
So are you saying the 6.5" Competition intercooler won't fit my M2 without cutting the front brace even though it's listed on your website as fitting? I'm a bit disappointed if that's the case.
By the time I import this intercooler to Australia, it's a $700USD investment on a part you guys are selling for RRP $470USD with your distributors selling it less than that, which makes a cheap intercooler not so cheap. If it's listed on your website as application fitting, then it should fit without the need to cut or remove a metal brace. I'm not talking about a bit of plastic, i'm meaning things the OEM have put in place for rigidity.

Otherwise why can't you just mention it on your product description what parts need to be removed, trimmed, altered so you aren't wasting everybody's time in researching, ordering, making time to fit it only to find out it doesn't actually fit without cutting metal structural components of the car?
Not everybody wants to be cutting structural pieces for an intercooler, others may not mind, at least make it clear for the consumer...

Does this fit or not?
The other thing that they don't mention is that the stock cooling fan shroud doesn't reach the brackets built on to the intercooler so the fan isn't really hooked to anything on the bottom like it is with the stock intercooler./
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 08:14 PM   #533
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
That issue was corrected a long time ago.

You seem to be going out of your way to bash VRSF while promoting CSF. Your shill is showing.
I am not affiliated with CSF in any way manner shape or form. I have also not stated anything that wasn't true about VSRF. You on the other hand advertise a lifetime warranty on your products and a 100% fitment guaranted yet never mention the modifications that you have to make to your vehicle to make the parts fit. The fan fitment issue wasn't corrected on my intercooler and I even sent you pictures to prove it. You told me no one had an issue installing the 6.5" intercooler with the brace still in yet now you're going to design one for customers that want to keep the brace in place. Shill? No, just making fellow members aware of pitfalls they can encounter with your products. If I have a positive experience with a product I pass that information along. The same goes for a negative.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 08:48 PM   #534
Wattens
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2, 4C, Bentley GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
That issue was corrected a long time ago.

You seem to be going out of your way to bash VRSF while promoting CSF. Your shill is showing.
Hi Tiago,

Lesly has told me separate to this thread that the 5" will fit fine, the 6.5" will need the spacers, I asked if the spacers are included with the 6.5" intercooler? and the reply I got was "spacers are included but they arent' necessary"

I just keep getting more and more confused with different information coming all the time, half of the issue is people and distributors getting confused between the 5" and 6.5" comp and 6.5" race.

For the 6.5" Comp intercooler, can you answer the below questions I have, You can PM me if it's more appropriate but it looks like others have the same questions I do:
- Are the spacers included in the kit?
- Are the spacers for unbolting the brace and reinstalling the brace with the spacers in place to purely bring the brace towards the front of the car to give enough clearance so the intercooler doesn't hit anything?
- For install, this requires a full front bar off job, it won't slide up from the bottom like I guess the 5" one would?
- Are there instructions?
- What comes in the box?
- You mentioned the stock cooling fan shroud issues has been rectified, do the spacers throw this out at all?
- What is the 5" rated to (hp/kw)
- How far away is the M2 specific product?
- Will the M2 product fit from the bottom or still require front bar off? If it still needs a front bar removal?

I know I might sound like I'm a pedantic prick, but all I'm trying to do is throw money at your company to get more power out of my car, and i'm really struggling to justify giving my money for a product with minimal and incorrect information. I just want to install an intercooler that will at least do Stage 2 with a possibility of stage 3 in the future, and fit my other bolt on bits that I already have (VRSF catless downpipe and VRSF charge pipe).

I mean this in the most constructive way possible, but the misleading info on your website doesn't help.
Why can't there be 2 separate pages for the two different products with the different applications?
If the dimensions, weight, part numbers, photos, vehicle applications are different between the two, they should be two different product pages.

The amount of confusion having one product page for two different products is amazing, even your distributors get confused like the conversation on Facebook I've posted below. If your distributors get confused, how are the rest of us meant to buy the right product?

I do get that other guys frustration, yes he's finding every opportunity to bag out VRSF intercoolers, but VRSF is just making it way to easy for people to bag out the intercoolers right now. I still want a VRSF intercooler, I just need some basic honest information which a product page should have.
Attached Images

Last edited by Wattens; 04-01-2020 at 08:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 09:52 PM   #535
Wattens
Private
Rep

Quote:
I am not affiliated with CSF in any way manner shape or form. I have also not stated anything that wasn't true about VSRF. You on the other hand advertise a lifetime warranty on your products and a 100% fitment guaranted yet never mention the modifications that you have to make to your vehicle to make the parts fit. The fan fitment issue wasn't corrected on my intercooler and I even sent you pictures to prove it. You told me no one had an issue installing the 6.5" intercooler with the brace still in yet now you're going to design one for customers that want to keep the brace in place. Shill? No, just making fellow members aware of pitfalls they can encounter with your products. If I have a positive experience with a product I pass that information along. The same goes for a negative.
In before someone accuses me of being connected to a competitor. Installed VRSF decat last week, and a photo of right now with VRSF charge pipes on my makeshift home office waiting for an intercooler that fits my car

I've already got threadlock on the methanol ports to seal them up lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 06:28 AM   #536
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In before someone accuses me of being connected to a competitor. Installed VRSF decat last week, and a photo of right now with VRSF charge pipes on my makeshift home office waiting for an intercooler that fits my car

Looks great. There is no brace like on the stock converter?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 06:54 AM   #537
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:

Looks great. There is no brace like on the stock converter?
Yeah. I can never recommend VRSF's downpipe a because of the omitted brace. There's a reason BMW designed a bracket to be used. Every other company integrates a bracket except VRSF and it can't be good in the long term to have that much jostling
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 07:43 AM   #538
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Yeah. I can never recommend VRSF's downpipe a because of the omitted brace. There's a reason BMW designed a bracket to be used. Every other company integrates a bracket except VRSF and it can't be good in the long term to have that much jostling
It just seemed odd to me. I'm not in the market though, as I have a sport cat.

Last edited by cecaa850; 04-02-2020 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:16 AM   #539
Wattens
Private
Rep

I went VRSF 6.5" in the end. Had it installed and it did fit in the spot without taking the front bar off but it was heavily pushing on the front support brace, so had to take the front brace off, front bar etc... put spacers on the brace to move it forward about 20mm and it's sitting fine. Also did BM3 stage 2 OTS at the same time
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 11:05 AM   #540
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
I went VRSF 6.5" in the end. Had it installed and it did fit in the spot without taking the front bar off but it was heavily pushing on the front support brace, so had to take the front brace off, front bar etc... put spacers on the brace to move it forward about 20mm and it's sitting fine. Also did BM3 stage 2 OTS at the same time
Congrats

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 02:41 PM   #541
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Any photos? Driving impressions? Logs?!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 06:22 PM   #542
Wattens
Private
Rep

Quote:
It's the way the M2 should have come from factory really. No logs as I don't have a cable yet (ordered it this morning so should et it after Easter).

No noticeable turbo lag with the intercooler.

VRSF still need to put out more accurate info about their product and vehicle application, I'm still annoyed at how long it took to get some basic info and most of my questions weren't answered by VRSF. That brand could be doing so much more if they look at their business from the customer's perspective.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2165.00
      04-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #543
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's the way the M2 should have come from factory really. No logs as I don't have a cable yet (ordered it this morning so should et it after Easter).

No noticeable turbo lag with the intercooler.

VRSF still need to put out more accurate info about their product and vehicle application, I'm still annoyed at how long it took to get some basic info and most of my questions weren't answered by VRSF. That brand could be doing so much more if they look at their business from the customer's perspective.
They don't even publish pressure drop data lol
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 09:39 PM   #544
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Went through this entire thread and other than Mikes super helpful data I lost brain cells. VRSF and CSF never happened, CSF got banned for some reason....anybody know why?

FWIW I picked up a Wagner EVO II Preformace Intercooler for my FBO M235i, stock vs the Wagner was a world of difference. IAT's dropped during 3ed gear pulls and stayed extremely low through out an entire 2 to 6th pull with minimum IAT increase. Throttle response became better as well. car is MHD Stage 2+.
16 M235xi 8ZF Black on Red FBO: Xhp trans tune -BMS Intake - VRSF Catless DownPipe - VRSF CP - VRSF Muffler delete/resonator - n22 plugs - MHD stage 2+ 95map - Wagner EVO II Preformace IC - Rear seat delete - weight reduction/stripping -FTP 18.5in rims - Hawk HPS front pads - StopTech STR 660 fluid
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 11:58 PM   #545
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_otherM235i View Post
Went through this entire thread and other than Mikes super helpful data I lost brain cells. VRSF and CSF never happened, CSF got banned for some reason....anybody know why?

FWIW I picked up a Wagner EVO II Preformace Intercooler for my FBO M235i, stock vs the Wagner was a world of difference. IAT's dropped during 3ed gear pulls and stayed extremely low through out an entire 2 to 6th pull with minimum IAT increase. Throttle response became better as well. car is MHD Stage 2+.
Sometimes vendors show up as banned due to inactivity from not paying the vendor fees. Probably that.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #546
Peter_VIE
Private First Class
Austria
Rep

Quote:

Very interesting thread

I run a Wagner Evo 2 comp + 300 cell dp for 2 years already. Just a few days ago I got bootmod3 license and did some logs to check the latest mods on cooling I did (water cooler, oil cooler). I noticed a quite high increase in IAT in both runs, first run from 78 to 108, which is 38 %, ambient temp was about 38F. So many guys report a slight increase in IAT using aftermarket ICs, I wonder if my one fails in some way. The car is only used on track, I wonder what it will show during a 1 hour session.

Many thanks for your comments.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5e91...729b5ecc22119f
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #547
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_VIE View Post
Quote:

Very interesting thread

I run a Wagner Evo 2 comp + 300 cell dp for 2 years already. Just a few days ago I got bootmod3 license and did some logs to check the latest mods on cooling I did (water cooler, oil cooler). I noticed a quite high increase in IAT in both runs, first run from 78 to 108, which is 38 %, ambient temp was about 38F. So many guys report a slight increase in IAT using aftermarket ICs, I wonder if my one fails in some way. The car is only used on track, I wonder what it will show during a 1 hour session.

Yeah i kid you not, iats went from 10c to 13c on a 2ed go 6th gear pull. Ambient temps were 10c.
16 M235xi 8ZF Black on Red FBO: Xhp trans tune -BMS Intake - VRSF Catless DownPipe - VRSF CP - VRSF Muffler delete/resonator - n22 plugs - MHD stage 2+ 95map - Wagner EVO II Preformace IC - Rear seat delete - weight reduction/stripping -FTP 18.5in rims - Hawk HPS front pads - StopTech STR 660 fluid
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 12:55 PM   #548
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_VIE View Post
Very interesting thread

Sorry, but it’s too small for serious track duty. A bigger core like the VRSF or Evo 3 would be ideal
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 12:56 PM   #549
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Was eyeballing the Wagner Evo3...it hands down looks the business....but it will essentially require removing the entire front end brace..or chopping it up. I'm not even sure if companies did their due diligence when it comes to that. But at the same time we have the only N55 that runs the same brace in place as the M2c/3/4.

I'm almost certain it can't be safe not running that extra reinforcement there.

I'm at a toss up between the Comp2 vs Comp3
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #550
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardzM View Post
Was eyeballing the Wagner Evo3...it hands down looks the business....but it will essentially require removing the entire front end brace..or chopping it up. I'm not even sure if companies did their due diligence when it comes to that. But at the same time we have the only N55 that runs the same brace in place as the M2c/3/4.

I'm almost certain it can't be safe not running that extra reinforcement there.

I'm at a toss up between the Comp2 vs Comp3
If it’s for track duty, the Evo 3 or the VRSF at the best options, because they are the biggest. I don’t know what specific brace you’re speaking about, but if it’s a chassis brace, you’ll be ok.
Appreciate 0