BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance Exhaust Valve Behavior

05-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #23
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutankhamon View Post
It does not matter what mode I'm in, it will randomly close. It is definitely related to bluetooth interference. Dealer has been useless thus far. It is definitely made worse when more people are in the car.
Put the remote in the boot and see if it still closes. I doubt there will be interference between the remote and the module being that close. I also doubt that it is constantly in BT pair mode, so outside signals should not affect it, but who knows. Either way the shorter signal should eliminate interference easy enough.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2017, 10:23 PM   #24
Arnold_Powers
that M guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYK View Post
I don't think it has ever closed on me while driving. I even tried to notice what happens when I turn off the car. Here's what I noticed so far.

Double click to open, double click to close. When open it keeps blinking every 5 seconds to let you know it is still open. When you turn off the car, it takes a few seconds to realize and then it lights on for a couple of seconds to let you know that it will close the valves and the blinking stops. But as I peek in the exhaust it is still open until I am back to turn it on I find it closed.

I had to figure all of this on my own since the dealer who installed it did not give me the manual and thought I would enjoy figuring this out. :|

I love the exhaust, traction "hidden" mode is still king whether valves are on or off.

What bothers me most is the cold start, the exhaust shakes and wiggles and it is extremely loud. First day I got it my wife's cayenne's alarm went on, which was cool for 5 seconds. Glad it didn't happen again though. The moving exhaust issue was also noted on the review posted a few days ago (M Performance Exhaust worth it or not?". So I assume it wasn't an installation issue.
the shake is not normal, my M2 Performance Edition had this horrible shake and rattle and I put it on a lift and saw the clamp was somewhat loosened and the exhaust canister had been pushed back about 1in and was hitting the heat shields. easy fix. didn't want the dealer touching it.
      07-01-2017, 02:46 PM   #25
PiK
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT

Today the dealership has installed MPE v2 (with the button in the trunk) in my M2.
I noticed the flaps were closing each time (independent on the driving mode) after exactly 15 seconds. The issue was reproducible at any time.
The issue is not reproducible when the remote controller is placed in the trunk.
I think most probably it is the issue with the low battery in the remote controller. Bluetooth was disabled on all cell phones.
I will report it to the dealership, and we will see what will be their recommendation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBIYRi9C3eQ
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 05:11 PM   #26
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Can you code it so its always open? Would be nice to not have to hit the button every time...its not that loud heh
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 05:24 PM   #27
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Can you code it so its always open? Would be nice to not have to hit the button every time...its not that loud heh
Once it's open, unplug the wiring harness in the boot. Problem solved.
Appreciate 1
Dav3946.50
      07-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #28
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2002 View Post
Once it's open, unplug the wiring harness in the boot. Problem solved.
oh that works? Nice...gonna have to do that
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 10:10 AM   #29
PiK
Private
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiK View Post
Today the dealership has installed MPE v2 (with the button in the trunk) in my M2.
I noticed the flaps were closing each time (independent on the driving mode) after exactly 15 seconds. The issue was reproducible at any time.
The issue is not reproducible when the remote controller is placed in the trunk.
I think most probably it is the issue with the low battery in the remote controller. Bluetooth was disabled on all cell phones.
I will report it to the dealership, and we will see what will be their recommendation.
Now the valves are closing even with the remote in the trunk. Replaced the battery in the remote - still the same. What a piece of junk.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 10:06 PM   #30
nikster0029
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 & 2014 335xi

I also had the same problem. Definitely just a broken system to begin with. I just will unplug it too
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #31
achenator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2017 R8+

All of you guys are scaring me from buying the system LOL.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 10:27 AM   #32
wolfbane1967
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

This must be warranty ?
Something wrong with the electronic module in the trunk probably
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 11:04 AM   #33
njw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 - LBB/6MT/Exec

Your dealer should replace it under warranty. They know it is expensive and shouldn't have issues.

I took my MPE in, explained the issue (droning), and they installed a new one without question.

New one is perfect (no drone, no rattles, no Bluetooth issues).
      07-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #34
PiK
Private
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbane1967 View Post
This must be warranty ?
Something wrong with the electronic module in the trunk probably
Quote:
Originally Posted by njw View Post
Your dealer should replace it under warranty. They know it is expensive and shouldn't have issues.

I took my MPE in, explained the issue (droning), and they installed a new one without question.

New one is perfect (no drone, no rattles, no Bluetooth issues).
Today I picked my car from the dealer. They have been checking the MPE for two days. Of course the exhaust (or remote / module in the trunk) has not been replaced. They recoded the ASD (which is not related to the MPE at all). The delaer was not sure if my MPE is actually faulty. According to them it could be working as designed - the valves are automatically closing after 15 seconds when activated by remote from the inside the cabin, because they believe it (the remote controller) should have been located in the trunk next to the red button. It could be another precaution to prevent enabling "track mode" on the streets.
I was like: "OK but why BMW is providing the mount for the remote for the cup holder?" The reply was: "It was probably provided by the mistake from the previous version of MPE".
"OK, so why the valves are closing after 5-8 minutes when the remote is inside the trunk?"
>> "We have no idea, but will ask BMW Poland for their opinion".

I would not be surprised when they would get back to me saying that 5-8 minutes is enough to do a one lap on the track
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #35
bartusM2
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (F87) on order

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem.
Had to wait 3 months before my MPE was delivered. Today I took my car for a proper drive to test the remote/valve system.
Once activated, the remote stopped blinking, got outside my car: valves had closed, opened up the boot and the red button light was no longer on...
Strange!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 03:45 PM   #36
PiK
Private
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartusM2 View Post
I'm experiencing exactly the same problem.
Had to wait 3 months before my MPE was delivered. Today I took my car for a proper drive to test the remote/valve system.
Once activated, the remote stopped blinking, got outside my car: valves had closed, opened up the boot and the red button light was no longer on...
Strange!!!
Check the fuse box in the trunk. The fuse for the valve controller is a blue one on the right, 15A. In my case the fins (which are connected by the fuse) were loose. I had to tighten them with a screwdriver. On a bumpy road the loosey fuse could disconnect the circuit, and then bluetooth module in the trunk is not working.

Last edited by PiK; 08-03-2017 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
Moris3.00
      08-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #37
PiK
Private
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiK View Post
The issue has been solved by replacing the remote controller.
Appreciate 1
Moris3.00
      12-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #38
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

M2 exhaust BT controller

Is anyone else experiencing issues with their BlueTooth exhaust controller? Not sure if it's bad batteries or if engine just needs to warm up or what.
      12-15-2017, 05:26 AM   #39
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall1957 View Post
Is anyone else experiencing issues with their BlueTooth exhaust controller? Not sure if it's bad batteries or if engine just needs to warm up or what.
Can you explain more? I noticed the other day I had it open and the car was sitting idling and the exhaust closed by it self
      12-15-2017, 06:49 AM   #40
jhall1957
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsm2 View Post
Quote:
Can you explain more? I noticed the other day I had it open and the car was sitting idling and the exhaust closed by it self
Mine just acts like a weak battery. I haven't noticed it closing on its own but I don't think I've had it open and just idle.

I'll check this weekend.
      12-16-2017, 09:15 AM   #41
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

There are a few threads around noting issues with the BT controller. Seems to be a fairly common problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #42
jhall1957
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBaby View Post
There are a few threads around noting issues with the BT controller. Seems to be a fairly common problem.
What seems to be the common problem?
      12-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #43
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBaby View Post
What seems to be the common problem?
I haven't followed too closely but seems like main issue is persistently intermittent loss of connection resulting in valves automatically closing shortly after opening, inability to open/close on demand and generally wonky exhaust valve behavior.

Again, haven't followed too closely so not sure quite how prevalent but this seems to be the most common complaint I think.

Unless you're in Europe and then there's the whole "red pimple in the trunk" thing...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #44
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB BMW M2

I've noticed that the problem goes away if I don't store my phone in the adjacent cupholder to the controller itself. ( I keep the controller in one of the cupholder slots )
Pretty sure there was some bluetooth interference that was causing it and not low batteries.
Appreciate 0