BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Active Autowerke | F87 M2 Signature Exhaust Release

11-15-2016, 09:35 AM   #1
David@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

Active Autowerke | F87 M2 Signature Exhaust Release

Active Autowerke is proud to announce the release of our Signature M2 Exhaust System!

We acquired our M2 in April of 2016 and although we were one of the first in the country to get the car, we realize that we aren’t the first to market with our product line. But we’ve never been, and that’s ok. Our F8X was considered “late to market” but it’s also now the best performing and most popular option for the M3/M4. This system is the result of countless hours of R&D to obtain the perfect combination of performance and sound. Constructed of 100% 304 TIG welded stainless steel, we have created a modular exhaust system that will provide enough flow to support power levels way above the stock M2.

The stock M2 midpipe measures as large as 3.2” so we knew right away that 3” piping was not an option! When installed as a complete unit, the exhaust diameter of our system never shrinks below 3.5”. Our catless downpipe flows seamlessly in to our mandrel bent mid pipe (with no diameter change) all the way back to our rear section. The rear section splits from a single 3.5” pipe in to dual 3.5” pipes; one of which is valved and leads straight to the exhaust tips with the other leading to a straight through muffler that reduces noise levels when the valve is closed. We chose to use 3.5” legs on the Y so that the exhaust gases would have minimal restriction even when the valve is not open. Although the use of stamped Y-pipes has become popular, they often contain pockets and obstructions internally that promote turbulence. Our Y-pipe is hand built to maintain maximum exhaust velocity throughout the entire system.

We believe that we’ve built the best performing exhaust on the market. With the reduced back pressure and large single-pipe design you can expect exhaust velocity to remain as high as possible throughout the entire system. Our design is also capable of handling much higher power levels than stock. It’s over engineered to have no issues handling the increased exhaust volume from extensive modifications including turbo upgrades. All Active Autowerke exhausts are designed and manufactured for performance, and our M2 exhaust is no different. Instead of copying the OEM exhaust, we started with a blank canvas in order to create a system as close to perfect as possible.

Once we finalized our design we began to work on the sound. The stock M2 sounds great, but there’s always room for improvement! We configured 7 different muffler and resonator setups before settling on our final product. With the valve closed the system is slightly louder than stock but with a great note. With the valve open it’s significantly louder but without the metallic, hollow sound of a full straight pipe exhaust.

KEY FEATURES

Mandrel bent 304-stainless construction
Completely TIG Welded (No MIG Welding at all)
Flow efficient Y-Pipe design
Perfect fitment with adjustable 90mm double walled tips
True 3.5” turbo back design
Matte black or brushed stainless tips
Uses OEM valve motor
Designed to be used at stock power levels along with highly modified engines
No permanent modifications required
Can be used with our 3.5” downpipe or with an adapter to the stock downpipe
Manufactured in house at our facility in Miami, FL.

**Quantities are extremely limited at the moment. Click here for the product page on our website!

We shot some live video of driving around in the M2 here (You can blame Andrew for the vertical video ):

In Car Driving

Walk Around video

OEM Exhaust Piping

In production

Complete

Last edited by David@ActiveAutowerke; 03-15-2018 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
AYurch50.00
      11-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #2
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

CEL?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #3
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
CEL?
Yes, the AWRON gauge that we are using will keep the light off, but without the gauge or a reflash the CEL will be on with the catless downpipe installed.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 05:13 PM   #4
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i xDrive

David can we choose these tips instead of the black if we order the exhaust? Thanks!

http://store.activeautowerke.com/pro...r-exhaust-tips
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 07:21 AM   #5
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

cant wait for leon to get over here so we can hear this thing in person!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 07:24 AM   #6
LeonTheJeweler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: m2

I thought work sucked but now it sucks even more knowing that I have to wait until Saturday
      11-16-2016, 07:35 AM   #7
LeonTheJeweler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I need A DeLorean
      11-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #8
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonTheJeweler View Post
I thought work sucked but now it sucks even more knowing that I have to wait until Saturday
come in today then
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #9
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD_F87 View Post
David can we choose these tips instead of the black if we order the exhaust? Thanks!

http://store.activeautowerke.com/pro...r-exhaust-tips
Absolutely!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 08:47 AM   #10
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture View Post
cant wait for leon to get over here so we can hear this thing in person!!!
Quote:
Quote:
I need A DeLorean
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture View Post
come in today then
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2016, 01:06 PM   #11
LeonTheJeweler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm not going to say much because I'll leave it up to the boys at Auto Couture but holy F wow amazing! Lol thank you guys at active and auto couture.

[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...psgm7covcr.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...pswt63i8hl.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...psfyz35ci2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...pskuqtvmdd.jpg[/IMG]
      11-19-2016, 03:28 PM   #12
M2Dynamic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M2

This system is the best I've heard yet. Sounds absolutely insane. Perfect not too crazy loud but brings out a beautiful sound. Unbelievable. Can't wait for them to post up the videos. 🔥🔥🔥
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 05:23 PM   #13
LeonTheJeweler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I didn't have time to do video maybe someone can help me tomorrow
      12-28-2016, 09:46 PM   #14
mlust
Second Lieutenant
Rep

looks great, any videos of this in action, would love to hear it
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #15
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

I've updated the original post with a couple new videos as well as a full underbody shot of the car after the exhaust has been installed for almost 15k miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #16
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm interested between this and Remus - but I am really confused on fitment after reading everything.

Is this kit only available as a turboback catless? Will it not mate up with a fabspeed downpipe?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #17
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanLife View Post
I'm interested between this and Remus - but I am really confused on fitment after reading everything.

Is this kit only available as a turboback catless? Will it not mate up with a fabspeed downpipe?
We offer an adapter that will allow you to connect our system to a stock or aftermarket downpipe. So it will be compatible with your Fabspeed downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 07:23 PM   #18
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Heard a while back that you guys are making a catted downpipe as a stock replacement. Is that still in the work? Is there an option of going 3.5" outlet to fit your catback system? Do you use HJS core, most importantly for a catted system.

I like the idea of increasing diameter a little bit for more power. Few months back we actually tested how N55 catback pipes diameter effect power at 450whp+. Bigger diameter definitely helps.

At the rear end where one pipe split into two, rather than two 3.5", actually two smaller pipes (still bigger combined than single pipe upstream) are preferred, as exhaust flow gets cooler and shrinks as it travel thru pipe so less cross section is needed to maintain velocity, though smaller pipe makes less decibels. What's more is this system bends radically, twice, right before muffler while most competitions bend only once. Two bends hurt flow, which may or may not make a difference.
      03-16-2018, 12:26 AM   #19
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Heard a while back that you guys are making a catted downpipe as a stock replacement. Is that still in the work? Is there an option of going 3.5" outlet to fit your catback system? Do you use HJS core, most importantly for a catted system.

I like the idea of increasing diameter a little bit for more power. Few months back we actually tested how N55 catback pipes diameter effect power at 450whp+. Bigger diameter definitely helps.

At the point of one pipe split into two, rather than two 3.5", actually two smaller pipes (still bigger combined than single pipe upstream) are preferred, as exhaust flow gets cooler and shrinks as it travel thru pipe so less cross section is needed to maintain velocity, though smaller pipe makes less decibels. What's more is this system bends radically, twice, right before muffler while most competitions bend only once. Two bends hurt flow, which may or may not make a difference.
Akrapovic FTW! Lol I love mine. Dual piping style.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 07:28 AM   #20
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:

At the rear end where one pipe split into two, rather than two 3.5", actually two smaller pipes (still bigger combined than single pipe upstream) are preferred, as exhaust flow gets cooler and shrinks as it travel thru pipe so less cross section is needed to maintain velocity, though smaller pipe makes less decibels. What's more is this system bends radically, twice, right before muffler while most competitions bend only once. Two bends hurt flow, which may or may not make a difference.
We are working on a catted downpipe and it's currently in longevity testing. I can't say exactly which cat it is right now but it's not an HJS core. We do plan on having an option for it to mate in to our 3.5" system.

As you know, volume is directly related to velocity and velocity is what's important which is why the two smaller pipe design you're referring to works. That said, two smaller pipes with a combined volume larger than a single 3.5" will create more friction because of surface area. You'd be better off stepping to a smaller single pipe if you were really concerned with exhaust velocity at the rear of the exhaust, although I can see that hurting top end power eventually. We do have two bends at the rear, one with a tighter radius than the other as pictured below. At the rear of the system the exhaust is much cooler and therefore a bit slower as well, so we haven't noticed this being an issue at all. On a turbocharged engine, power is made at the turbo exit (downpipe) and beginning of the exhaust system when exhaust velocity is high.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 08:09 AM   #21
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

David, I wasn't in favor of dual pipe design either, what I was getting at is when you split 3.5" pipe at rear end, better choose two smaller pipes like 2.5", so that you don't lose velocity. Bigger cross section downstream makes no power.

At the end of the day, the execution of this 3.5 design is one and only in the business and highly respectful.
      03-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #22
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
David, I wasn't in favor of dual pipe design either, what I was getting at is when you split 3.5" pipe at rear end, better choose two smaller pipes like 2.5", so that you don't lose velocity or cross section area. Regardless execution of this 3.5 design is one and only in the business and highly respectful.
Thanks, Sean. Realistically when the valve is open, when the exhaust splits to the (2) 3.5" pipes, the system effectively "ends" from a performance standpoint. The volume difference is so great that it's essentially the same (or very close) as dumping to atmosphere. If the system were to split closer to the front of the car we'd be a bit more concerned about velocity.
Appreciate 1
SeanWRT3179.00