BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > *** M2 Competition (S55) support now available with bootmod3 ***

09-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #595
brad65ford
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I'm sure that higher octane fuel would launch your car into the stratosphere. I was running 30% 100 octane with crappy CA 91 octane fuel in my stock M2C, it made a huge difference. I can only imagine how it would perform with a stage 2 tune.
LOL, it seems pretty impressive what E85 does with some cars, the s55 seems to really enjoy it. I've heard mixed reviews on e85 even though I don't have it in my location yet. Not sure but is it true it goes bad after a month? Don't drive my car much and there are times gas will sit.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 06:08 PM   #596
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad65ford View Post
LOL, it seems pretty impressive what E85 does with some cars, the s55 seems to really enjoy it. I've heard mixed reviews on e85 even though I don't have it in my location yet. Not sure but is it true it goes bad after a month? Don't drive my car much and there are times gas will sit.
I haven't used E85. If you want to see how your car performs with higher octane fuel you could check to see if there is any 100 octane pump gas near you.

https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel-finder
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 06:32 AM   #597
fordnox
Private
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxified View Post
Could you include a version number? This is not good news.... M2 Competition?

F020-19-07-539

and yes...M2C 11/18

Last edited by fordnox; 09-24-2019 at 06:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 06:59 AM   #598
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

The info on relocked DMEs for new 2020 cars is hard to find. Bootmod3 should update their website to reflect this. Much to my disappointment, I just bought a 2020 + a Bootmod3 OBD Agent before discovering the issue.
Appreciate 1
hAxel91.00
      09-24-2019, 07:31 AM   #599
fordnox
Private
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wern3r View Post
I watched several YouTube video and went step by step.
did the flash work? what hardware did you use?

BR
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 08:06 AM   #600
Spare°
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDaily View Post
The info on relocked DMEs for new 2020 cars is hard to find. Bootmod3 should update their website to reflect this. Much to my disappointment, I just bought a 2020 + a Bootmod3 OBD Agent before discovering the issue.
You can definitely request a refund, but I agree. The overall communication on the issue is lacking some transparancy.
Appreciate 1
VIERsr2620.50
      09-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #601
WVUDrJay
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

From yesterday
Attached Images

09-24-2019, 12:25 PM   #602
ChrisRoman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

It is crazy the amount of money they will make once they finally unlock it. You would think that 20+ people waiting to pay $600 each would help motivate them to expedite their efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUDrJay View Post
From yesterday
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:35 PM   #603
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdss View Post
I messaged their CS last week, and they responded saying they are working on it, and to follow social media for updates.

They are not being very transparent at all with their progress. From a social media perspective, they seem entirely focused on the new Z4/Supra and X# platforms, and seem to be content with bench tuning the latest M2C revision.

It would be nice if someone from PTF would jump into this thread and shed some light on their progress.
Yes, would be great to know... Another flash tuner told me:

Everybody works with the same hacks, those hacks are not made by us nor by BM3 - those hacks are made by other people.

If someone has a solution then this solution will be used everybody.

I'm curious how true that statement is, because if it's accurate, then it's really out of their control.

proTUNING Freaks ?

Some questions:

1 - So anyone with an M2C and a tune – even if they're currently on a supported Istep – once their dealer flashing their DME, their BM3 tune will stop working, until they are able to flash it again, right?

2 - Apologies for not having done my research in advance, but do you have any links to the process for removing a DME to send away? How hard is it / long does it take? In the old days of the E9x platform, it was like a one hour job to remove it.

3 - Does bench flashing leave any physical changes on the DME? From opening it? Nothing's being modified on it, is it?

4 - Are there any differences when BMW looks at the DME (based on what people know, which I get may not be a perfect understanding) if it's been bench flashed compared to OBD flashed?

Trying to get an idea of pros and cons of it, vs. waiting out for an OBD flash from them, which there's no ETA on AFAIK... I get they can't commit to anything, but ANY sort of an estimate would be better than total silence... Everyone understands it'd only be a rough estimate and depending on bumps along the way, it could completely change.

But are we talking about 1 month? 3 months? 6 months+???
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #604
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Maybe I'll just buy a new ECU. Have that sent off, and if I ever have issues I'll just put the one that came with it back in. hehe
Does that still work? It's so year 2000... The car's computers are so sophisticated now I didn't think you can simply swap ECU's?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #605
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperj View Post
Unfortunately, none of the videos are great. I just googled BMW S55 ECU removal. Also It may help to look at M3 & M4 forums. Once the charge cooler is tilted back, a lot of the unplugging and getting cables out of the way just doesn’t show up on video. Get a good light, make sure the engine has cooled down, and take your time.

Also, when unhooking different electrical connections modern autos are helpful as usually, you just can’t plug them up wrong. They won’t fit. Each connection is married to one connector. Once I got started it went well. Again, the hardest part for me was unplugging the DME fasteners. It’s not hard, do NOT force anything. Once you see how it works it’s very easy. Having some help even if it’s to hold the light is beneficial.

One of the videos I viewed auctully unhooked and removed the charge cooler. I didn’t do this. So no coolant leaked out. Not even a spoonful. One video makes a big deal out of not kinking the hoses to the charge cooler. You can limit the “Kink” but it’s bound to fold over a bit. After I got the intake off I folded the charge cooler back close to it’s original position. No sense in it remaining out of its normal place.
So it's a couple of hours of work you say to pull out? And similar to put back, or quicker?

On a level of mechanical difficulty out of 10, how much is it? Notwithstanding crappy instructions out there...

Last edited by Lotus99; 09-24-2019 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 02:48 PM   #606
brad65ford
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I haven't used E85. If you want to see how your car performs with higher octane fuel you could check to see if there is any 100 octane pump gas near you.

https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel-finder
Thank you for this, believe i searched this prior one time. Seems there is a store about 15 miles away but I think they sell it by the drum lol. Shame my area doesn't have it. A lot of guys around me bitch about our area not having corn yet :-(
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 08:56 PM   #607
Trapperj
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
So it's a couple of hours of work you say to pull out? And similar to put back, or quicker?

On a level of mechanical difficulty out of 10, how much is it? Notwithstanding crappy instructions out there...
I’m no mechanic. If forced to rate it on a 1-10, I’d say maybe a 4. It went back together in about 1/3 less time. As always, YMMV. Any independent BMW shop “should” be able to do this for you, but beware, one local Indy quoted me $850 to remove and reinstall. In their defense, I bet he looked at the BMW tech manual that includes removing the charge cooler which would add considerable time.Still $850 seemed WAY high to me.
Appreciate 1
Lotus99627.00
      09-25-2019, 10:47 AM   #608
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperj View Post
I’m no mechanic. If forced to rate it on a 1-10, I’d say maybe a 4. It went back together in about 1/3 less time. As always, YMMV. Any independent BMW shop “should” be able to do this for you, but beware, one local Indy quoted me $850 to remove and reinstall.

In their defense, I bet he looked at the BMW tech manual that includes removing the charge cooler which would add considerable time.Still $850 seemed WAY high to me.
thanks. Good to hear. Will keep that key piece of advice in mind. If you happen to save the links to the various videos/posts you used as a reference, would be awesome to have them all in one place.

If you have a few minutes, do you mind looking at my other post a couple above, as I’m guessing you know the answers to some of those questions because you got your ECU bench flashed.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 12:42 PM   #609
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Quote:
Does that still work? It's so year 2000... The car's computers are so sophisticated now I didn't think you can simply swap ECU's?
I bet it works.

Was just thinking to buy a CS ECU and swap it in, if all this OBD tuning hasn't been cracked by then.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 12:14 AM   #610
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
Quote:
I bet it works.

Was just thinking to buy a CS ECU and swap it in, if all this OBD tuning hasn't been cracked by then.
I don't think it's that simple....
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2019, 07:23 PM   #611
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I messaged their CS last week, and they responded saying they are working on it, and to follow social media for updates.

They are not being very transparent at all with their progress. From a social media perspective, they seem entirely focused on the new Z4/Supra and X# platforms, and seem to be content with bench tuning the latest M2C revision.

It would be nice if someone from PTF would jump into this thread and shed some light on their progress.
Yes, would be great to know... Another flash tuner told me:

Everybody works with the same hacks, those hacks are not made by us nor by BM3 - those hacks are made by other people.

If someone has a solution then this solution will be used everybody.

I'm curious how true that statement is, because if it's accurate, then it's really out of their control.

proTUNING Freaks ?

Some questions:

1 - So anyone with an M2C and a tune – even if they're currently on a supported Istep – once their dealer flashing their DME, their BM3 tune will stop working, until they are able to flash it again, right?

2 - Apologies for not having done my research in advance, but do you have any links to the process for removing a DME to send away? How hard is it / long does it take? In the old days of the E9x platform, it was like a one hour job to remove it.

3 - Does bench flashing leave any physical changes on the DME? From opening it? Nothing's being modified on it, is it?

4 - Are there any differences when BMW looks at the DME (based on what people know, which I get may not be a perfect understanding) if it's been bench flashed compared to OBD flashed?

Trying to get an idea of pros and cons of it, vs. waiting out for an OBD flash from them, which there's no ETA on AFAIK... I get they can't commit to anything, but ANY sort of an estimate would be better than total silence... Everyone understands it'd only be a rough estimate and depending on bumps along the way, it could completely change.

But are we talking about 1 month? 3 months? 6 months+???
1) correct
2) no. YouTube is your best bet. the videos suck though.
3) nope. they don't open it.
4) they can tell if it's been flashed

I've seen return time of 1 week ish from send to receive.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #612
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe I'll just buy a new ECU. Have that sent off, and if I ever have issues I'll just put the one that came with it back in. hehe
I don't see why not. what happens if that unit fails, they have to be able to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 09:12 PM   #613
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
I don't see why not. what happens if that unit fails, they have to be able to replace it.
I'd imagine the ECU unit is VIN Locked to the car and a new unit would have to be synced and interfaced with all the other ECU units

I'd also imagine that the software and procedure necessary to do this is something only BMW techs have access to and can do with ease

But no one will stopping you from trying, probably won't work, but who knows
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #614
Trapperj
Second Lieutenant
Rep

^^^
👍 yep, I’d concur. Wish it wasn’t so, but if I were to wager, I’d go this way.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #615
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

If the goal for the switch is to preserve the warranty, doubt this would work. The ECU is just one place where mileage readings are kept. So even if switching would work (I somehow doubt it would be truly plug and play) then you would still need to contend with the mileage discrepancy between the gauge cluster and ECU, among other places. At that point, your are probably just better off unlocking the ECU the old fashioned way. Accomplishes the same and you won't be out the cost of an extra ECU.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 03:18 PM   #616
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
I'd imagine the ECU unit is VIN Locked to the car and a new unit would have to be synced and interfaced with all the other ECU units

I'd also imagine that the software and procedure necessary to do this is something only BMW techs have access to and can do with ease

But no one will stopping you from trying, probably won't work, but who knows
Agree, you can do it with the ISTA tools found online which is what dealers use.

But it is a load of hassle to do and risk messing it up and end up with a bricked car.

A new DME has to be calibrated with various things including fuel injector metering values taken uniquely from each injector and set via programming...

Last edited by doughboy; 09-27-2019 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0