BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > DIY: M Performance exhaust

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-18-2019, 12:43 AM   #89
mdriver83
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
there is a whole dummy plug/routing doc:

https://bmweba.com/eba-01-29-2-412-923/

As for cutting, who knows why they design it that way. Maybe for ease & speed of install at the port? Who knows.......
Hey, could you help me with this?
I can't find this doc anymore, what are you doing with the dummy?

THX!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 11:46 PM   #90
dk23
New Member
12
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB M2 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Central NJ

iTrader: (0)

If anyone is looking for sound clips of the M Performance Exhaust, I just filmed and posted a video, check it out!

Appreciate 1
FIDDIE12.00

      11-03-2019, 06:25 AM   #91
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
horsepower_and_hounds's Avatar
United_States
1169
Rep
3,256
Posts

Drives: '15 M4 BSM
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriver83 View Post
Hey, could you help me with this?
I can't find this doc anymore, what are you doing with the dummy?

THX!
unfortunately after almost 2 years I have purged files and all the M4/M2 stuff is gone. Sorry
__________________
IG: horsepower_and_hounds
'15 M4 BSM DCT CCB, '15 Alfa Romeo 4c coupe "sold", '18 M2 "sold", '15 M4 "totaled", '14 M235 "sold", '09 128i "sold"
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #92
dv-s
New Member
Belgium
3
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: BMW X5 Xdrive30d
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Can someone tell me if the MPE does make more noise than the stock exhaust when the valves are closed? I like it when the car makes more sound for the funny racy moments, but i do'nt like that much sound when comming home or leaving home :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:21 PM   #93
detroitm2
Lieutenant Colonel
detroitm2's Avatar
United_States
1431
Rep
1,520
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv-s View Post
Can someone tell me if the MPE does make more noise than the stock exhaust when the valves are closed? I like it when the car makes more sound for the funny racy moments, but i do'nt like that much sound when comming home or leaving home :-)
It is noticeably louder than OEM.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 01:41 PM   #94
VisualEcho
Major
VisualEcho's Avatar
United_States
1454
Rep
1,123
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M2
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv-s View Post
Can someone tell me if the MPE does make more noise than the stock exhaust when the valves are closed?
The MPE is louder, and brighter. The stock exhaust is quieter, but also warmer. There are multiple videos online that show this, just do a YouTube search.

One of the things I hate about a lot of the M2 aftermarket exhaust options is how raspy, and bright they make the sound.
__________________
2006 Lotus Exige | 2018 M2
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 04:46 PM   #95
Mosely
Lieutenant
Mosely's Avatar
458
Rep
439
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Anyone have the instructions for wiring the new valve in? Can't seem to find them online or in this thread since the links are deleted.
__________________
IG Photo Gallery:
instagram.com/dr_m2sko/

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:59 PM   #96
Mosely
Lieutenant
Mosely's Avatar
458
Rep
439
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
Anyone have the instructions for wiring the new valve in? Can't seem to find them online or in this thread since the links are deleted.
Found the instructions but have another question which may be stupid. Did you guys all remove this metal bracket holding the two pipes together? It seems like it could be a source of vibration, maybe those of you with vibration issues check it? The original DIY shows it as still on but the below DIY video shows it removed (got to 9:14-15). Wasn't sure if it was just a shipping bracket or something structural.




Last edited by Mosely; 12-11-2019 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #97
Elwood74
Private First Class
Elwood74's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
181
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
Found the instructions ....
Care to share? Mine's due for delivery today.

Would also love a confirmation picture of this "Service" dimple.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #98
Mosely
Lieutenant
Mosely's Avatar
458
Rep
439
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood74 View Post
Care to share? Mine's due for delivery today.

Would also love a confirmation picture of this "Service" dimple.
Let me see if I can track them down.

Also, updating on the vibration issue, it's been 4-5 months and I have zero vibration.

You can't miss the dimple once you get under there. I had a very tough time getting the MPE to slip far enough over the old exhaust and thus things were very tight on the rear brackets. If I could do it again, I might cut 5-10mm more off forward from the dimple.
__________________
IG Photo Gallery:
instagram.com/dr_m2sko/

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 07:24 AM   #99
Elwood74
Private First Class
Elwood74's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
181
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
Let me see if I can track them down.

Also, updating on the vibration issue, it's been 4-5 months and I have zero vibration.

You can't miss the dimple once you get under there. I had a very tough time getting the MPE to slip far enough over the old exhaust and thus things were very tight on the rear brackets. If I could do it again, I might cut 5-10mm more off forward from the dimple.
Having the rubber mounts compressed a little is sure to help dampen any excessive vibrations. Thinking I want to ensure this as well.

Dimple is on the underside correct? I've found the faintest of marks on the underside. Looks like someone tapped a center punch with a feather. Going to be doing some measuring to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 11:03 AM   #100
Mosely
Lieutenant
Mosely's Avatar
458
Rep
439
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood74 View Post
Having the rubber mounts compressed a little is sure to help dampen any excessive vibrations. Thinking I want to ensure this as well.

Dimple is on the underside correct? I've found the faintest of marks on the underside. Looks like someone tapped a center punch with a feather. Going to be doing some measuring to be sure.
Yep, that's the dimple. If you're using the pipe cutting tool, make sure its brand new and do the fullest partial arc you can with every cut. Mine cut through partially and it turned a 30 minute cut into a 1.5 hour cut.
__________________
IG Photo Gallery:
instagram.com/dr_m2sko/

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 08:47 AM   #101
Elwood74
Private First Class
Elwood74's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
181
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
Yep, that's the dimple. If you're using the pipe cutting tool, make sure its brand new and do the fullest partial arc you can with every cut. Mine cut through partially and it turned a 30 minute cut into a 1.5 hour cut.
Installed over the weekend. My cut took ~1.5hrs as well. Was tag teaming the ratcheting with my nephew. Partial break through here too, but that's unavoidable. Left the pipe a few mm long to insure some compression and had no issues getting back on the mounts. Otherwise rest of install went very quick.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #102
TonM3
Private
20
Rep
69
Posts

Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Bethesda, MD

iTrader: (0)

From the original post, can someone identify for me what and where this structural piece is.
Attached Images
 
__________________
E46 -> E90 -> F30 -> F23
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 04:05 PM   #103
Mosely
Lieutenant
Mosely's Avatar
458
Rep
439
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonM3 View Post
From the original post, can someone identify for me what and where this structural piece is.
It's in front of the rear diff and behind the cut point.
__________________
IG Photo Gallery:
instagram.com/dr_m2sko/

Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST