BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > New Burger Tuning Bms Aluminum N55 Performance Intake Gloss Black Finish

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-23-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11780
Rep
127,970
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Talking New Burger Tuning Bms Aluminum N55 Performance Intake Gloss Black Finish



Applications:

BMW M135
2012+ F20/F21 M135i/iX

BMW M235
2014+ F22 M235i
2016+ F87 M2

BMW 3 Series
2012+ F30 335i/iX Sedan
2012+ F31 335i/iX Touring
2013+ F34 335i/iX Gran Turismo

BMW 4 Series
2014+ F32 435i/iX
2014+ F33 435i/iX Conv.
2014+ F36 435i/iX Gran Coupe



Gain up to 10+whp along with terrific sound

Finally, an intake system worthy of your N55 TwinPower motor! The BMS F30 N55 Performance Intake retains everything that is good about the OEM N55 intake system including the cold air ducting and light weight heat shielding airbox bottom; but, completely replaces the restrictive top end of the OEM intake with new aluminum high flow ducting and a performance inverted cone filter to match.

During our extensive dyno testing the BMS N55 Intake out performed all other available N55 intake systems posting gains of up to 10+ horsepower to the wheels. In addition to freeing up some power turbo spool speed is improved. Not to mention an incredible sound improvement. You'll finally be able to hear your turbo spooling!

Installation is very easy taking the average enthusiast only five minutes to install or remove right in their driveway. Our proprietary high flow filter can be cleaned every 15-20k miles using the performance oil cleaning kit below.



BMS F30 Aluminum N55 Performance Intake

Adds up to 10+ Horsepower
Dramatic sound improvement
Super fast install and removal
Improves throttle response
Retains OEM airbox base as a heat shield
Retains OEM cold air ducting
Looks great under the hood
Cleanable and reusable filter
Made in the USA

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
dtmurf
Lieutenant
dtmurf's Avatar
213
Rep
442
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: (US M2 in) Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Interesting, any pics of it installed in an M2? Would love to hear it, are here any videos out there?
__________________
'17 M2 DCT Long Beach Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
Anthony1s
Lieutenant Colonel
1247
Rep
1,831
Posts

Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Woah WTF! This may overtake the Eventuri as the best intake. Looks great, open box design for more sound,, seems to be 4lbs lighter than the Eventuri (according to x-ph.com), and it's cheaper than all the competition. It's only $200!!!

https://x-ph.com/burger-tuning-bms-f...rmance-intake/
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
cecaa850
Lieutenant
United_States
209
Rep
572
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South East TX.

iTrader: (0)

Dry or oiled filter?

Never mind. I just went to the website and they show an oil kit for this. I'll pass.

It would be nice if they offered a dry filter option. I might just take the plunge.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #5
Anthony1s
Lieutenant Colonel
1247
Rep
1,831
Posts

Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Dry or oiled filter?

Never mind. I just went to the website and they show an oil kit for this. I'll pass.

It would be nice if they offered a dry filter option. I might just take the plunge.
Oiled filters damaging car is a misconception.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
NitroBMW
New Member
5
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: M2 & M240i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (1)

Ordered! - Thanks Mike!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 03:41 PM   #7
cecaa850
Lieutenant
United_States
209
Rep
572
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South East TX.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Oiled filters damaging car is a misconception.

What first hand knowledge do you personally have that leads you to believe that?

I've seen plenty in the 21 or so years I've been an automotive service manager. I've seen warranty engine claims denied. I've seen dirt on the down stream side of the filters. I've seen oil and dirt trails leading from the filters. I've seen enough to never use one.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 03:42 PM   #8
cecaa850
Lieutenant
United_States
209
Rep
572
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South East TX.

iTrader: (0)

I wonder if one of these would retrofit?

https://www.aemintakes.com/search/univcone.aspx
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 03:43 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11780
Rep
127,970
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Woah WTF! This may overtake the Eventuri as the best intake. Looks great, open box design for more sound,, seems to be 4lbs lighter than the Eventuri (according to x-ph.com), and it's cheaper than all the competition. It's only $200!!!

https://x-ph.com/burger-tuning-bms-f...rmance-intake/

Its actually 3lbs 2 oz

6lbs is the box weight
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 04:56 PM   #10
Anthony1s
Lieutenant Colonel
1247
Rep
1,831
Posts

Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
What first hand knowledge do you personally have that leads you to believe that?

I've seen plenty in the 21 or so years I've been an automotive service manager. I've seen warranty engine claims denied. I've seen dirt on the down stream side of the filters. I've seen oil and dirt trails leading from the filters. I've seen enough to never use one.
Well, first hand knowledge isn't really valuable because it's such a small test size. But I have owned, maintained, and re-oiled air filters for the past 5 vehicles I've owned over the last 10 years without issue.

But more importantly, I've reviewed numerous industry and consumer research reports over the years validating they cause no harm... which is further evidence by the fact that pretty much every aftermarket intake/air filter comes with an oiled filter. Quite the liability to sell something that causes damage.

No offense, but being a service manager doesn't mean much. You don't know what the history of the cars were, how the filter was maintained, or if there were other factors involved. I'm quite skeptical of you seeing dirt pass through a filter, as well. Dirt large enough to be visible wouldn't pass through a filter, and any fine dirt/dust would be caught in the oil on the outside of the filter preventing it from passing through.


Here is one of the tests and research that I quickly found for you to review.
https://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

Last edited by Anthony1s; 01-23-2019 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 2
Poochie4600.50

      01-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #11
cecaa850
Lieutenant
United_States
209
Rep
572
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South East TX.

iTrader: (0)

Here's one for you from an independent with no affiliation to any manufacturer. I also have first hand knowledge of K&N having personally used a factory oiled filter and seeing the trail of oil and dirt it let in. Yes, fine dirt will combine with the filter oil and engine vacuum will suck it through regardless of your skepticism . I do agree with you however that your first hand knowledge isn't really valuable. It's much too small a sample size. If you're happy with them, continue to use them. I could never in good conscience recommend them and steer people away from them whenever possible.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...ter-study.html
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2019, 05:39 PM   #12
cecaa850
Lieutenant
United_States
209
Rep
572
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South East TX.

iTrader: (0)

My wife's Porsche didn't come with an oiled air filter and neither did my BMW. If R&D thought it would be better than they'd put one in there.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11780
Rep
127,970
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
My wife's Porsche didn't come with an oiled air filter and neither did my BMW. If R&D thought it would be better than they'd put one in there.
The same R&D that think its a good idea to use plastic charge pipes?
Appreciate 3
      01-23-2019, 06:27 PM   #14
cecaa850
Lieutenant
United_States
209
Rep
572
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South East TX.

iTrader: (0)

I've also seen brand new vehicles with factory oiled K&N filters come in with check engine lights. They'd have MAF codes from the filter oil coating them. The filters use oil to trap dirt so if oil is passing through so is the dirt it trapped. There's no way around it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 06:32 PM   #15
cecaa850
Lieutenant
United_States
209
Rep
572
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South East TX.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
The same R&D that think its a good idea to use plastic charge pipes?
Space shuttles blow up too what's your point? They make mistakes, gather info and hopefully make corrections. There's never been a point where oiled air filters make sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 06:35 PM   #16
cecaa850
Lieutenant
United_States
209
Rep
572
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South East TX.

iTrader: (0)

Edit. Not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 06:38 PM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11780
Rep
127,970
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Space shuttles blow up too what's your point? They make mistakes, gather info and hopefully make corrections. There's never been a point where oiled air filters make sense.


BMW has been using the plastic charge pipe since 2006 even after its been proven to fail. Manufacturers have to work within a budget, sometimes they comprise
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11780
Rep
127,970
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Space shuttles blow up too what's your point? They make mistakes, gather info and hopefully make corrections. There's never been a point where oiled air filters make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post


BMW has been using the plastic charge pipe since 2006 even after its been proven to fail. Manufacturers have to work within a budget, sometimes they comprise
Another example is the intercooler. BMW use the shittiest intercooler possible, its not because their engineers cant figure out how to get one that works, its because they want to save money.

Im not getting into an argument about dry vs oil filters, there are hundreds of pages about it.
Im just saying your argument that if its not there then its bad is not valid
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #19
cecaa850
Lieutenant
United_States
209
Rep
572
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South East TX.

iTrader: (0)

They know the failure rate on intercooler and charge pipes. They weigh the cost of repairs vs the cost of manufacture. It makes financial sense for them to use the parts they do. The cost of repairs due to using oiled air filters has to be greater than the cost of the air filters themselves. Is there any manufacture that uses an oiled filter as oem equipment? I honestly don't know.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11780
Rep
127,970
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
They know the failure rate on intercooler and charge pipes. They weigh the cost of repairs vs the cost of manufacture. It makes financial sense for them to use the parts they do. The cost of repairs due to using oiled air filters has to be greater than the cost of the air filters themselves. Is there any manufacture that uses an oiled filter as oem equipment? I honestly don't know.
Again this is not about oil vs dry, google the subject if you feel like wasting couple hours.

Its about the argument you used. You said BMW do not come with oiled filters so dry must be better than oiled.
And im saying, thats not necessarily the case, dry filters are cheaper and require no maintenance (which means no free warranty work by BMW which means less cost and more profit).
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 07:51 PM   #21
cecaa850
Lieutenant
United_States
209
Rep
572
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South East TX.

iTrader: (0)

No need to google. I have plenty of information from years of reading on the subject.

Friends don't let friends buy oiled air filters.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 09:10 PM   #22
Anthony1s
Lieutenant Colonel
1247
Rep
1,831
Posts

Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
No need to google. I have plenty of information from years of reading on the subject.

Friends don't let friends buy oiled air filters.
Well, your arguments are quite scattered. You seem to be arguing (assumed via your link) that dry filters have better flow, so that's why you choose them. But also later argue that oil filters damage MAFs. Seemingly as a way to derail and control the conversation, instead of, well... having a conversation.

Since I can only keep track of one conversation at a time, I will assume you have nothing useful to counter the K&N link I provided and end that argument now, as you have not provided any counters to any of it.

but, with the link you showed, let's see...

no where in the link you posted does it say oil and dirt was found to pass through the filter.

The guy's conclusion in the link you posted is that all air filters have similar flow rates when new.

And his other conclusion was that dry air filters collect more dirt than oiled filters when dirty, but he also said his sample size was way too low to make that generalization. If you actually look at the filters he tests, you can kinda see why. The three oiled filters he tested are completely different from each other (foam, fiber, and gause), then he tests 9 similar dry filters along with them.

None of this speaks for the longevity of the dry filters, as his tests were done for only 30 seconds.

None of his tests compare air flow between dirty filters.

So, going by the tester's own words... that tests backs up nothing for your claim that dry filters are better than oiled filters.

Also, public commenting to criticize their testing has been disabled, which is kinda fishy.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST