BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance Exhaust Valve Behavior

02-21-2019, 07:53 PM   #133
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0YS View Post
So the valves themselves don't work or the Y cable doesnt? Remus seems to have a solution that the valves are controlled by the drive mode button so are they just using this Y cable?
There are two different valves used by BMW. They don't appear to be compatible. To make it work with the the drive mode button you would need the Y cable and two non-M valves (solenoids actually)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:34 PM   #134
BJM2018
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
Here is one original doc that come with the remote...... I was correct on the 5 flashes if it is functioning. The 2 flashes your getting confirms it is not connected. Nothing on pairing the units
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
Here is one original doc that come with the remote...... I was correct on the 5 flashes if it is functioning. The 2 flashes your getting confirms it is not connected. Nothing on pairing the units
Any chance you PDF proper copy so we can print out? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #135
PAC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
There are two different valves used by BMW. They don't appear to be compatible. To make it work with the the drive mode button you would need the Y cable and two non-M valves (solenoids actually)
I ended up going with Remus. I will try and see which actuators and cable they use if they're OEM
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 07:47 PM   #136
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep

Quote:
I ended up going with Remus. I will try and see which actuators and cable they use if they're OEM
Please do. If they are the M/MPE actuators then that gives us hope. If they are the non-M then it confirms my findings and we'll have to get them together with the Y cable.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 05:42 AM   #137
mcupac91
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Cold starts are very loud. You can't close the flaps for long highway drives and the MPE has a tendency to drone between 2800 and 3000 RPMs (more noticeable with the flaps open).
Other than that no disadvantages, I've been looking at some solutions for having the valves operational but defaulting to open. But now that I've been running the car with flaps open for a month I think I'm just gonna leave it that way.
how do you constantly have the flaps open? I'm getting so bored of having to keep doing the button in the boot before start up. If you're able to please advise the steps for constantly having the flaps open it would be most appreciated! cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:16 AM   #138
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcupac91 View Post
how do you constantly have the flaps open? I'm getting so bored of having to keep doing the button in the boot before start up. If you're able to please advise the steps for constantly having the flaps open it would be most appreciated! cheers
Unplugged the main harness (the big plug) from the BT controller in the trunk while the flaps were open. Takes 30 seconds, no crawling under the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #139
mcupac91
Rep

Quote:
Unplugged the main harness (the big plug) from the BT controller in the trunk while the flaps were open. Takes 30 seconds, no crawling under the car.
thanks for the quick response, forgive me if I'm being a bit stupid here but which plug is it I need to take out in the below pics? Only recently got the car so don't want to go and break anything pulling out cables pretending I know what I'm doing

Name:  plug.jpg
Views: 1608
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:  plug 2.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  92.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #140
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the quick response, forgive me if I'm being a bit stupid here but which plug is it I need to take out in the below pics? Only recently got the car so don't want to go and break anything pulling out cables pretending I know what I'm doing
The big grey plug that has the bundle of 4-5 black cables going into it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:47 AM   #141
mcupac91
Rep

Quote:
thank you! will give this a go after work, most appreciated!
I take it you've had no issues/warning lights thus far from doing this?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:49 AM   #142
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Well my MPE is back to rattling HARD on cold startup...guess its back to the dealer...

Or I could just pull the jack out of the trunk and tighten the clamp :facepalm:
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #143
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep

Quote:
thank you! will give this a go after work, most appreciated!
I take it you've had no issues/warning lights thus far from doing this?
Yeah, no problems, codes, or lights. Other than getting power from the battery the system is completely standalone so it can't throw any codes/lights.

The only problem is that the cold start up now is just too loud
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 04:08 PM   #144
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJM2018 View Post
Any chance you PDF proper copy so we can print out? Thanks
Not of the remote sorry
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 04:26 AM   #145
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
As experiment, I tested mr_lab_rat's easy hack: simply unplugged the big grey plug (featuring black cables) in the boot when the MPE butterfly valves in pipes #1 and #4 are in 'open' position. And effectively, the valves remain permanently in 'open' position (thus also after engine shutdown) as long as the plug is not plugged back in. Explanation is obvious: as power to operate the valves is cut off, the valves go into some state hibernation keeping their last position before the power cut-off.
      03-02-2019, 11:50 PM   #146
BJM2018
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[IMG]https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...mentid=1998107[/IMG]

[IMG]https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...mentid=1998108[/IMG]
Quote:
As experiment, I tested mr_lab_rat's easy hack: simply unplugged the big grey plug (featuring black cables) in the boot when the MPE butterfly valves in pipes #1 and #4 are in 'open' position. And effectively, the valves remain permanently in 'open' position (thus also after engine shutdown) as long as the plug is not plugged back in. Explanation is obvious: as power to operate the valves is cut off, the valves go into some state hibernation keeping their last position before the power cut-off.
So as a follow up, my local BMW dealer diagnosed and agree flaps were closing on there own. Internal parts are not serviceable so they have ordered a new exhaust from Germany...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 03:36 PM   #147
PAC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Please do. If they are the M/MPE actuators then that gives us hope. If they are the non-M then it confirms my findings and we'll have to get them together with the Y cable.

Hi, to explain how Remus does it, they provide a duplicate valve controller, you remove the one from your stock exhaust and use their provided Y cable to control both actuators via the stock software/drive modes.

I dont know if it's their own Y cable or a BMW item. I can open the box before I go to get the install done and see if I can get info on the cable. TBH someone who has the know how could whip one up and sell to MPE owners. I cannot see this not working if the fix is simply splitting the signal to both actuators (stock, replacing the MPE ones)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 09:01 PM   #148
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hi, to explain how Remus does it, they provide a duplicate valve controller, you remove the one from your stock exhaust and use their provided Y cable to control both actuators via the stock software/drive modes.

I dont know if it's their own Y cable or a BMW item. I can open the box before I go to get the install done and see if I can get info on the cable. TBH someone who has the know how could whip one up and sell to MPE owners. I cannot see this not working if the fix is simply splitting the signal to both actuators (stock, replacing the MPE ones)
My guess would be that they use the non M actuators (like the stock M2 exhaust) and in that case they can use the OEM BMW Y cable.
If you can get the part number fro the actuators that would be great.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #149
PAC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My guess would be that they use the non M actuators (like the stock M2 exhaust) and in that case they can use the OEM BMW Y cable.
If you can get the part number fro the actuators that would be great.
From Remus's website it seems like it's a second of the stock that they provide. I work all weekend so I can't open the box but I'll try to do it by the time it's installed next week or while it's getting installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 06:06 AM   #150
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

MPE not working

The remote switch is not opening or closing the valves in my MPE. I read somewhere that this is a Bluetooth remote. The dealer replaced the entire iDrive "head unit" and I suspect that as the cause of the problem. Right now, they are clueless as what to do, and I have the car scheduled to go back in April.

Does anyone know how to initialize or "learn" the remote? Even if it is only something that the dealer can do, if I had some instructions for them, I'm sure they would appreciate it. And I sure would!

Thanks,
Michael
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 06:34 AM   #151
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

MPE has nothing to do with the headunit that's their first issue.
it's an independent system.
I don't have the instructions for attempting to re-sync it, usually they just replace the button itself or the exhaust.
Appreciate 1
LuvMyE922993.50
      03-21-2019, 10:10 AM   #152
LuvMyE92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOhnoez View Post
MPE has nothing to do with the headunit that's their first issue.
it's an independent system.
Thx @MrOhnoez. Is the "bluetooth" information correct? Just wondering.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #153
LuvMyE92
Rep

OK, now I've read the entire thread and I see that it is BT and that it is a common failure point. I wonder if I should first check the fuse, just in case it's as simple as that. Anyone know which fuse it is?

Taking it to the dealer for them to keep it for two days and say "we don't know what's wrong" is not my idea of fun.

I'll also replace the battery as well, just in case it's too weak.

It gets discouraging, having a new car with so many issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 07:44 AM   #154
LuvMyE92
Rep

For anyone still following this thread, or someone who stumbles across it later and was curious about my issue:

The dealer looked at the car yesterday and reported that I had a "loose ground" for the MPE. I asked, "could it have anything to do with my last service?" and they replied, "probably". I do believe that they charge the battery before loading new software, and they probably disconnect it from the car first.
Appreciate 0