BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > MINI - Gen 3

06-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

MINI - Gen 3

MINI Gen 3.

My contact in the UK sent me this this afternoon regarding the all-new MINI.

As we know the Gen3 car is out publically testing in readiness for it's Premiere @ MINI United 2012and then the Mondial l'automobile in Paris the following October.

I recently came up close and personal with the car which showed some devious changes hidden under the camouflage which I will go into.

There was a MINI Cooper S (F56) Prototype @ Garching today , here for a quick runabout by the M chassis engineers as it so happens. It was also a chance to get a closer look at the car to what is being hidden underneath it's camouflage and there is a lot being hidden.

For example the roof of the car is fake and is using the roof from the current car. The clue is and is evident on the photographs of the scooped prototype. Is the A-Pillar you can see the space in between the roof and pillar.

The roof also carries on the new MINI motiff such as on the Coupe and Countryman with the step just at the C-pillar. The exposed metal and glass is disguised by the camouflage. The C-Pillar hides something else that it wraps around the rear of the car more snuggly with a larger hatch opening. The outlines on the bootlid are false.

At the front of the car the hood covering is actually a moulded piece of vacumned plastic which covers up the more raked back front end , The bumper is also fake covering up the lower part of the MINI signature grille. which becomes larger for a more signature identity.

For the first time in a MINI and to give the impression of it being "all grown up" there is now creases on the body.
Although the rendering is not exact to the forthcoming car. It shows some ideas that are evident on the scoop photographs.

AutoExpress (Autobild UK?) have produced a rendering of the new car whilst I would agree with the front of the car with it's more prominent nose and the inclusion of a nose cone taking away the typical MINI Clamshell bonnet in favour of a more compact clamshell hoodline.
One thing being debated is the inclusion of a scoop for the MINI Cooper S. Given in the R56 the scoop is virtually redundant, but considered a characteristic styling element of the Cooper S , some proposals equal to a hood bulge in the centre or BMW-M like bonnet vents.

The front lights are almost exact to the placement and shape of the car - They are further melted in the front wings for a more raked back , sportier appearance and helps idenitfiy the car's MINI-ness. Illuminated rings around the main headlight unit is carried over from the MINI Rocketman Concept car.

MINI also gets creases for the first time which can be seen on scoop photographs especially around the a-pillar , front wing side repeater.

This rear however was one such possibility by reversing the MINI typical shape and lay it across the bootlid surrounded by a MINI badge like the Paceman. This decision has been reversed in favor of a more typical MINI appearance. The hatch for example is now wider and wraps around the C-Pillar .

The interior although using a BMW dashboard agains strikes the evolutionary balance with a typical MINI centre speedometer. Given the more sportier appearance of the overall look of MINI Gen 3. The interior especially the dasg gets a more raked back look instead of the classic upright look.
The centre speedometer remains but becomes more function than form.
The car's communication technology gets the addition of a MINI trackball previewed on the Rocketman placed on the console and steering wheel.

MINI has always been about "make it your own" and whilst a high level of personalisation will continue. The next car will also allow a personalisation theme of using light. Something similiar in today's MINI's but will extend to key areas of the car such as around the speedometer and dash.

As Norbert Reithofer announced at the UK 500 Million Pound investment. The next MINI family will spawn up to 10 MINI's.

The MINI City Car that will come from the looks of the Rocketman Concept whilst the genetics have to change to become production viable and cost effective for production. Will be a seperate MINI model.
Attached Images

06-16-2011, 04:31 AM   #2
Coni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Always loved Mini's, so i'm very curious to see how this turns out. I think that the current Cooper bodystyle is the best it has ever looked, so I will definitely stay tuned. Thanks for the info Scott, but just one question, when you say the car will get a BMW dashboard, do you mean one lifted straight from one of the current or future BMW models, or just a dashboard that looks more in line with something BMW would make?
Appreciate 0