BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brakes seizing (wheels jammed)!!

12-09-2019, 09:25 PM   #23
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannondale900 View Post
The dealer did not keep and try to replicate the condition?

I imagine something is wrong with the vehicle speed controller, tilt sensor, wheel speed sensors, or collision warning system if you are getting warning lights. It seems to me the system thinks the brake should be applied and with the rest of the wheels moving when the computers are thinking the car should be stopped, there is some malfunction. I would imagine the dealer can diagnose these components via the computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
You are getting 4 or 5 different warning lights? I'd video them.

Can't the dealer pull the fault codes to diagnose the problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
TTBear, is the location where the phenomenon happens slightly inclining ?

Just brainstorming whether the hill hold feature could be part of the explanation (or malfunctioning).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I now ride the brakes up and down the driveway right after I wash them. It has eliminated them sticking. I do this with my X5 50i M-Sport as well and I believe it was recommended to do this in its manual.
Thanks so much for your help, you guys. I greatly appreciate it. I have attached a picture of the warnings that were appearing (every time the wheel stuck). The TPMS warning is not relevant (I think) - I elected not to install TPMS sensors in my winter wheels.
These only appeared once I tried to drive the car, and disappeared once I eventually got the brake unstuck.

No incline - our garage is completely level, as is the parking lot behind our clinic, which are the two locales where the problem occurred.

I do also ride the brakes to dry them when I wash the car, especially since the first episode.

I am likely just being paranoid, but I am wondering if there is any possibility of this happening when I am driving the car - I doubt it, but I still haven't ascertained the cause of this problem, either.

Thanks, all.
      12-09-2019, 09:44 PM   #24
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

If I had to spitball a guess, I say there is an electrical malfunction with the wheel speed sensor(s), since all those functions receive data from that particular unit.

If you have access to ISTA-D, you should be able to recover any shadow faults that would confirm it or point you in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:52 PM   #25
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
I am likely just being paranoid, but I am wondering if there is any possibility of this happening when I am driving the car - I doubt it, but I still haven't ascertained the cause of this problem, either.
Thanks, all.
That looks like a pretty serious Christmas tree of errors. Any one of which could be causing the problem. I am shocked the dealer hasn't done anything about this. Those codes would clearly be in the logs.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 02:33 AM   #26
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

It's not a free fix, but you might consider swapping pads and seeing if you can reproduce it. Or at least complain until BMW gives you a new set of pads. Take a video next time if you can, that's some pretty crazy stuff you describe. I've had less trouble moving a car with a partially engaged parking brake.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 09:22 PM   #27
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Thanks for all of your thoughts, gents.

I will contact me service advisor, and ask them at the very least to read the codes.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Cheers
      12-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #28
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Did the warning lights come on AFTER you drag the wheel?

If so that's normal as the car will see 1 wheel is stationary whilst others are moving and that is illogical so it will assume a wheel sensor fault and disable all function using that sensor.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #29
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Did the warning lights come on AFTER you drag the wheel?

If so that's normal as the car will see 1 wheel is stationary whilst others are moving and that is illogical so it will assume a wheel sensor fault and disable all function using that sensor.
Yep, that's right. I think I mentioned that in my post.
I thought that was the case.
I figure it's simply a case of the pad sticking excessively hard into the rotor, but man, I hope it doesn't happen as badly as the first time. That was terrible. It killed me to drag that tire for that long, riding my clutch that hard!
      12-14-2019, 01:16 PM   #30
tokki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Anyone else having this problem? Three times now, one of my front brakes has seized, resulting in the car being unable to move. The pad is seized to the rotor.
On the first occasion, I had to flat bed to the dealer, where it released of its own accord. However, when it happened to me, I tried hard to release it, dragging the seized tire for a block (likely not doing my tire a whole lot of good).
The second and third times, it took a lot of dragging again, but the brake released.
I have had brakes stick before after washing a car especially, but nothing like this!
Anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks for any input!
Hey man, just wanted to let you know that I had multiple episodes like this. The best thing you can do is to get it up to speed and do a HARD brake before parking the car. In our climate, especially if theres a little water or snow/ice on the road, no way the traction between the tire and road will be enough to break the seizure free. Otherwise, the only thing that worked for me is to put the front tow hook on and drag it with a truck on some dry tarmac. I do feel that now my car has some good miles on it, it is less prone to happened. Probably a bit more clearance between the pad and the rotor than when it was new.
Appreciate 1
TTBear414.50
      12-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #31
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokki View Post
Hey man, just wanted to let you know that I had multiple episodes like this. The best thing you can do is to get it up to speed and do a HARD brake before parking the car. In our climate, especially if theres a little water or snow/ice on the road, no way the traction between the tire and road will be enough to break the seizure free. Otherwise, the only thing that worked for me is to put the front tow hook on and drag it with a truck on some dry tarmac. I do feel that now my car has some good miles on it, it is less prone to happened. Probably a bit more clearance between the pad and the rotor than when it was new.
Thanks for your input!!! Much appreciated. Yeah, I think I have to do a better job of drying my brakes out after a wash (although the first time this happened was a few days after washing, still a little confused about that one - that time, it was cool but dry, and I dragged the seized tire on bare asphalt, to no avail!).
Wow - it sounds like your brake seized REALLY hard, too.
And you're right - my car is still very low mileage, so hopefully, like your car, these episodes will stop happening, with more miles put on.

Thanks!!!
      12-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #32
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

TTBear, check here if you see something interesting for your issue:
      12-15-2019, 11:21 AM   #33
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
TTBear, check here if you see something interesting for your issue:
Wow, thanks so much!!

I am on it.

Thank you for taking the time, Artemis!!
      12-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #34
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Wow, thanks so much!!
I am on it.
Thank you for taking the time, Artemis!!
FWIW: no BMW, different brakes and 'old', but same phenomenon: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...uple-days.html
Pattern: parked in humid conditions + not moved for a couple of days.

And:
  • BMW - pedestrian protection / Crash Safety Module (ACSM): https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ection/XYN2qYR
  • BMW - assist systems: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...stems/Csst8sub
    (Collision Warning System: "The ICM [Integrated Chassis Management] control unit only allows the collision warning to be enabled if the system is operating trouble-free. Only then is there positive confirmation by means of a bus signal to the footwell module (FRM) or Front Electronic Module (FEM) to activate the function indicator light of the button. If there is a fault in the system, the function indicator light remains switched off despite keystroke. This enables the user to see that the collision warning is no longer available. A Check Control message is also issued.")
TTBear414.50
      12-18-2019, 07:40 AM   #35
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

I've had a similar issue lately with sticking brakes but not the errors. Pretty cold and snowy lately, so not really able to do hard braking prior to parking. But when I do drive away after being parked overnight (non-heated garage) or outside at work, I get the loud thump sound. Yesterday afternoon the brakes were squeaking loud after pulling out of my parking spot but quit after about 100 feet.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 06:45 AM   #36
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
I've had a similar issue lately with sticking brakes but not the errors. Pretty cold and snowy lately, so not really able to do hard braking prior to parking. But when I do drive away after being parked overnight (non-heated garage) or outside at work, I get the loud thump sound. Yesterday afternoon the brakes were squeaking loud after pulling out of my parking spot but quit after about 100 feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
I had one of these too. Loud bang when it released, but fine since, and it hasn't happened again. Thanks OP for this thread.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 10:37 PM   #37
Jet Fuel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M, 2017 AMG C63

I have a 2015 X6M. This happens every time I put it to bed with wet brakes. Not sometimes, every time. The next day the front pads are stuck to the rotors. This happens whether the E brake was engaged or not.

Being awd may help getting them to release (or unstick from the rotors) but it takes a good bit if throttle to make that happen and it makes a loud pop or bang when they do. It's almost like trying to pull a stump out of the ground. I have plenty of marks on my front rotors from this happening.

I have mentioned this to the service department more than once. They have no idea why this happens.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 09:08 PM   #38
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

In my experience with the M brakes (F8X), if you don't daily drive the car, and it tends to sit for periods of time, the caliper pins dry out, especially if you're washing frequently. Even worse if you are blasting water into the wheels to rinse them during your wash (as I do). This can blast some of the caliper pin grease off.

The pads slide on the pins (2 each side) and they are parallel to the anti-rattle pad clip. My RF caliper began to groan and hang up. I pulled the pads out, greased the pins, and voila - caliper working perfectly.

See attached photos

Good luck! My guess is this will solve your issue unless it's something w/your electronics also.

If you need any help with this, just ask. I've worked on both my M4 and M2 brakes maybe 100 times (pad swapping for track, lubing, etc.). Lots of hours learning this great/simple fixed caliper system
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
TTBear414.50
      05-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #39
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrbri View Post
In my experience with the M brakes (F8X), if you don't daily drive the car, and it tends to sit for periods of time, the caliper pins dry out, especially if you're washing frequently. Even worse if you are blasting water into the wheels to rinse them during your wash (as I do). This can blast some of the caliper pin grease off.

The pads slide on the pins (2 each side) and they are parallel to the anti-rattle pad clip. My RF caliper began to groan and hang up. I pulled the pads out, greased the pins, and voila - caliper working perfectly.

See attached photos

Good luck! My guess is this will solve your issue unless it's something w/your electronics also.

If you need any help with this, just ask. I've worked on both my M4 and M2 brakes maybe 100 times (pad swapping for track, lubing, etc.). Lots of hours learning this great/simple fixed caliper system

This is really, really good info - thanks!!!
      05-05-2020, 03:19 PM   #40
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Fuel View Post
I have a 2015 X6M. This happens every time I put it to bed with wet brakes. Not sometimes, every time. The next day the front pads are stuck to the rotors. This happens whether the E brake was engaged or not.

Being awd may help getting them to release (or unstick from the rotors) but it takes a good bit if throttle to make that happen and it makes a loud pop or bang when they do. It's almost like trying to pull a stump out of the ground. I have plenty of marks on my front rotors from this happening.

I have mentioned this to the service department more than once. They have no idea why this happens.
My wife's 2016 X6M also does this, every single time. And her front rotors are also marked up because of it. And, my service department also doesn't have a clue why it happens.
      05-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #41
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Fuel View Post

My wife's 2016 X6M also does this, every single time. And her front rotors are also marked up because of it. And, my service department also doesn't have a clue why it happens.
That's just science - cast iron and iron in the pad material begin to surface rust together. Take the machine for a quick drive and cycle the brakes and ensure they are warm and dry - it won't happen ever again

The X brakes are huge and all that surface area rusts quickly and you have your pad sticking problem
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 07:00 PM   #42
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also, this is probably a reason BMW and others are ditching fixed caliper brakes for less desirable floating caliper systems - especially the rear brakes - less maintenance and complexity and, of course, less performance 😢
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:47 PM   #43
Jet Fuel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M, 2017 AMG C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrbri View Post

See attached photos

Thanks Gsrbri, I'm definitely going to try greasing the pins. I love working on my cars, and you just gave me a simple project to see if it solves my problem.

Taking the vehicle for a drive to dry out the brakes does work, but only if the streets are dry. If it's a snowy or rainy day, and the streets are wet, it's not easy to dry them off. Luckily, in Colorado, we don't get very many wet days.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 06:04 PM   #44
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Mine did this two me a few weeks back, may we'll have been after washing the car. In the morning going to work I hear a bang and a slight jolt as the seized brakes have loosened.

So weird it's so extreme on this car. My last car just made a temporary slight graunching sound as normal after the discs had gotten wet and rusted after a wash.
Appreciate 0