BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > DIY: M Performance exhaust

01-07-2018, 07:36 AM   #45
monochrom3
Former P-Car Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (TBD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
there is a whole dummy plug/routing doc:

https://bmweba.com/eba-01-29-2-412-923/

As for cutting, who knows why they design it that way. Maybe for ease & speed of install at the port? Who knows.......
What is this dummy flap actuator for? Thanks in advance
      01-07-2018, 08:38 AM   #46
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by monochrom3 View Post
What is this dummy flap actuator for? Thanks in advance
It is a bypass plug that goes in the existing single harness that tells the DME that the flaps are no longer installed. The MPE functions independent from the DME and activated via the BT transmitter you keep in the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #47
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmurf View Post
Great DIY write up, thanks for the details and the photos! Do you mind explaining what you mean by "put the car to sleep"

Also, I'm thinking this is the cable running up into the trunk but I'm sure there was some kind of rubber plug to seal the hole right? Did it need to be modified?
If you close and lock the doors for like 15mins the car get to sleep and there is less voltage activity and it is safer to unplug things without disconnecting the battery. I always do this when unplugging things in the engine compartment

Yes there is a plug on the harness that fits in the hole....at the time it would not stay in place since the harness is a bit stout and the temps were cold. I put some RTV on it then re-inserted to keep it in place. Then reshaped the heat shielding so it did not smash the wires.....I am a bit OCD with some things to prevent future problems

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 01-07-2018 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
dtmurf477.00
      01-07-2018, 08:54 AM   #48
monochrom3
Former P-Car Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (TBD)

Quote:
It is a bypass plug that goes in the existing single harness that tells the DME that the flaps are no longer installed. The MPE functions independent from the DME and activated via the BT transmitter you keep in the car.
Ah got it, thanks! I "think" that plug comes with the MPE, right? Or is it separate? I'll have to go back through my stuff and check.

I'm just waiting on my car to arrive to put on the MPE. Thanks for the DIY!
      01-07-2018, 08:57 AM   #49
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monochrom3 View Post
Ah got it, thanks! I "think" that plug comes with the MPE, right? Or is it separate? I'll have to go back through my stuff and check.

I'm just waiting on my car to arrive to put on the MPE. Thanks for the DIY!
Comes in the kit..... in a little plastic bag with a p/n un it. Mine was taped to the parts box. I got no install instructions so looked them up online
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #50
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

1st is the old style clamp that does say 38nm...it is for the version that butted the pipes to each other then used the wide band clamp. The 2nd is the current design that the pipe slides over the stock pipe at the cut. The doc states to torque to 55nm. It is the same as the ones (pictured) they use on the F80/82 MPE
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #51
MR_M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT, 2022 X7 M50i

Garage List
BMW M2  [0.00]
BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
1st is the old style clamp that does say 38nm...it is for the version that butted the pipes to each other then used the wide band clamp. The 2nd is the current design that the pipe slides over the stock pipe at the cut. The doc states to torque to 55nm. It is the same as the ones (pictured) they use on the F80/82 MPE
Does your MPE rattle during cold start or has the new clamp fixed that problem?
Also, do you happen to have the part number for the new clamp?
My dealer fixed the cold start rattle to some extent but there is still a tiny bit left. I would rather have them fix it with the new clamp. Not sure if it can be done to an existing cut in the exhaust as the new one is supposed to slide over. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #52
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_M2 View Post
Quote:
Does your MPE rattle during cold start or has the new clamp fixed that problem?
Also, do you happen to have the part number for the new clamp?
My dealer fixed the cold start rattle to some extent but there is still a tiny bit left. I would rather have them fix it with the new clamp. Not sure if it can be done to an existing cut in the exhaust as the new one is supposed to slide over. Thanks in advance!
Mine rattles, the colder it is out the more it rattles. My MPE on the M4 rattled like crazy so am used to it

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 01-21-2018 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      02-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #53
BMWPWR18
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 87' 535is, 18'M2 (sold)

Exactly where does the stock exhaust needs to be cut at? It's not mentioned anywhere in the MPE instructions.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #54
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

There is a small dimple point, like a large center punch mark on the exhaust...... u cut there
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #55
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGM2 View Post
Cut the resonator and add it.. mpe

Does this work? I still have my stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 01:33 AM   #56
18EM2
Public Last Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT LBB

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Is the bulge near the top a secondary resonator?

Looks like when the MPE valves are open some exhaust can still flow through the resonator. Is that for drone suppression? Does MPE drone?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 04:57 AM   #57
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18EM2 View Post
Is the bulge near the top a secondary resonator?

Looks like when the MPE valves are open some exhaust can still flow through the resonator. Is that for drone suppression? Does MPE drone?
The bulge at the top is the mid pipe resonator. And yes the MPE drones without it.... here is the original pic before someone photoshopped it
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #58
18EM2
Public Last Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT LBB

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Interesting. Thanks for that info.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 02:59 PM   #59
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

You know I have to comment.....today I drove around the Charlotte outer loop and did some pulls, shifts hards runs and cruise in both comfort, sport & sport plus with flaps open and closed. I have a JB4 so it has a bit more pep. It does exhibit drone around 3k and you can hear it and feel it in your butt but in defense of the MPE...... how much damn time do you spend at 3k? The drone window is not that big and at 80mph in 7th (dct) your way below 3k so their is really no drone then and our cars are built with less sound deadening material so everything seems to cause more noise.

I think it sounds really really good and find that it is fairly quiet in the flaps closed mode aka sport. I think it gets a bit of a bad rap...I am really glad I got it and very happy with it.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2018, 06:01 PM   #60
AGM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB 17

Quote:
You know I have to comment.....today I drove around the Charlotte outer loop and did some pulls, shifts hards runs and cruise in both comfort, sport & sport plus with flaps open and closed. I have a JB4 so it has a bit more pep. It does exhibit drone around 3k and you can hear it and feel it in your butt but in defense of the MPE...... how much damn time do you spend at 3k? The drone window is not that big and at 80mph in 7th (dct) your way below 3k so their is really no drone then and our cars are built with less sound deadening material so everything seems to cause more noise.

I think it sounds really really good and find that it is fairly quiet in the flaps closed mode aka sport. I think it gets a bit of a bad rap...I am really glad I got it and very happy with it.

That is good news I bought my MPE today from my local dealer, its coming next Friday, I asked the dealer to cut the stock resonator to add it in case I need it and they said no problem. Ill keep it in case its a drone. They said this is the last version of the MPE and they fixed the drone and vibration from the first Version. Well see. Cant wait.

http://babyclips.net/play-baby-clip-...cGO2TWXNM.html

Last edited by AGM2; 02-23-2018 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 06:35 PM   #61
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That is good news I bought my MPE today from my local dealer, its coming next Friday, I asked the dealer to cut the stock resonator to add it in case I need it and they said no problem. Ill keep it in case its a drone. They said this is the last version of the MPE and they fixed the drone and vibration from the first Version. Well see. Cant wait.

http://babyclips.net/play-baby-clip-...cGO2TWXNM.html
Wrong..... I have the latest rev purchased around dec and it still drones and also vibrates like shit on cold start
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #62
AGM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wrong..... I have the latest rev purchased around dec and it still drones and also vibrates like shit on cold start
OK i guess a going to add my stock resonator

Last edited by AGM2; 02-23-2018 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #63
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
OK i guess a going to add my stock resonator
I have the carbon wrapped titanium exhaust tips and not sure that don't add to the vibration sound. My MPE on the F82 vibrated like crazy on cold start...thought it was the titanium. Now have a stainless MPE in the F87 and it vibrates also..... cold start sux

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 02-23-2018 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 08:59 PM   #64
AGM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe you need to check you setup

QUOTE by isjoey
Correct. My MPE was port installed also. Sounds like there have been issues with some port installs.

The clamp that connects the OEM cut pipe to the MPE pipe just before the bracket.

My rattle was caused by the exhaust pipe backing out from the clamp and causing quite a bit of sag, and it eventually got so bad to where the exhaust pipe sagged and caused contact with one of the center chassis braces... made for a nasty "rattle" on cold start.

It seems like they over torqued the clamp causing it to oval a bit and thus not get a solid bite.

I've pushed in my exhaust quite a bit and re-clamped the exhaust. 150+ miles with 0 rattles, it puuuuurs on cold start now.

My tips are all the way in, and both sides are much more even now!

Last edited by AGM2; 02-25-2018 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 09:19 AM   #65
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Yes not the safest way but best thing in place of a lift...... I don't like siting the alum suspension components on jack stands. I did the whole M4 this way..... I take it carefully and check the jacks often.....
Check them all you want.... as soon as the small o-ring goes, the car is coming down and fast. Never trust a jack. NEVER.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #66
AGM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well I'm in the dealership the going to setup this
ANACONDA!!! This pipe is BIG
Can wait to driver this thing with my Fabspeed DP

Finally I don't need to ask for videos MPE & Fabspeed DP...9 moth's waiting 🤪
Attached Images