BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > How do I remove white residue from new PS4s sidewalls???

12-24-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

How do I remove white residue from new PS4s sidewalls???

How do I remove white residue from new PS4s sidewalls???

Stuff is stubborn... I think it’s the tire manufacturing mold release agent. It’s only on the front tires.

Any ideas from the detail pros or anyone else?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 07:37 PM   #2
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
The small white dot?
      12-26-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep

From the vastness of the internet.

General consensus...

“The greasy whitish stuff that has the consistency of yogurt is the lubricant that is used when mounting the tires. The waxy stuff on the sidewalls of the tires themselves is a mold release agent used in the manufacturing process. It needs to be removed with a solvent and a brush.”

Suggested products range from vinegar to WD40 (of course), and Coca Cola (LOL) to Wesley’s Bleach White to Stoner’s Tarminator, Simple Green, Comet, and Scrubbing Bubbles, and many more!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #4
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Sucks if your installer overdid the installation lubricant.

From my experience just use any popular tire cleaner. Personally I use Adam's tire cleaner and a tire brush. The tire brush should be relatively stiff compared to a standard wheel brush.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #5
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep

So I used what was at hand... WD40 (of course).

I was able to remove the stubborn waxy manufacturing mold release agent, by wiping vigorously with WD40 using a microfiber cloth. Interestingly, it was only on the front tires. I washed the tires and wheels with soap and water afterwards.

The tech had cleaned off any excess tire installation lubricant, but didn’t go the extra mile to remove the obvious white waxy residue that is far more difficult to remove. I’m surprised the detail department wasn’t asked to take a shot at it.

Guess you have to step up to a Porsche for that level of service. I say this because, in one particular anecdote from the internet search for “how to remove white waxy residue from new tires”, a fellow who had taken his Porsche in for new tires received an apology for the extra time it took the tech to remove the waxy residue from the new tires. Nice.

On the other hand, one “poor” fellow was complaining about the residue that was difficult for him to remove after taking his Ferrari in for new Pirellis.

Guess he should have bought a Porsche.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52716.50
///M TOWN16075.50
      12-29-2020, 09:37 PM   #6
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Sucks if your installer overdid the installation lubricant.

From my experience just use any popular tire cleaner. Personally I use Adam's tire cleaner and a tire brush. The tire brush should be relatively stiff compared to a standard wheel brush.
Seconded, that stuff is awesome
      12-30-2020, 06:04 AM   #7
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
So I used what was at hand... WD40 (of course).

I was able to remove the stubborn waxy manufacturing mold release agent, by wiping vigorously with WD40 using a microfiber cloth. Interestingly, it was only on the front tires. I washed the tires and wheels with soap and water afterwards.

The tech had cleaned off any excess tire installation lubricant, but didn’t go the extra mile to remove the obvious white waxy residue that is far more difficult to remove. I’m surprised the detail department wasn’t asked to take a shot at it.

Guess you have to step up to a Porsche for that level of service. I say this because, in one particular anecdote from the internet search for “how to remove white waxy residue from new tires”, a fellow who had taken his Porsche in for new tires received an apology for the extra time it took the tech to remove the waxy residue from the new tires. Nice.

On the other hand, one “poor” fellow was complaining about the residue that was difficult for him to remove after taking his Ferrari in for new Pirellis.

Guess he should have bought a Porsche.
I've found it varies how much is on the tires when new also (noting your rear tires didn't have much/any). Back in the summer I put a set of PS4S on our E91, and they were caked with the mold release stuff. I ended up using the Adam's tire and rubber cleaner with a brush, and it worked fairly well, but I still need to do another round of something (WD-40 I guess now, lol). On the M2C I just put PS4S on and they were almost completely clean and needed almost no additional work.

Did Leith do the work there in Raleigh?
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 08:12 AM   #8
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep

BMW Southpoint, Durham.

I ordered from them as they pointed out they are an M Certified Dealer, suggesting a higher level of service. And closer to home as well.

So far, their service has lived up to expectations for my first German and first luxury brand purchase, other than residue on two new tires, ha.

Interestingly, after PS4 installation, I had a vibration at interstate speeds.

Shop foreman, Ryan (great guy) drove it to help diagnose.

The front tires won’t road force balance within specs, so there working with Michelin to replace.

Also found a slightly bent right front wheel. $125 to repair I’m told.

Probably won’t get my car back until next week.

Last edited by natmad; 12-31-2020 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: Addition
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 08:51 AM   #9
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Tire soap comes off very easy with just water when it's fresh, but it's a severe PITA when it sets up.

I wash it off the moment I get the car home, but have had to use PPG 330 on it before. It's what I recommend to everyone that needs to get something off of just about anything. It's aggressive, like a weak enamel reducer, but doesn't damage stuff like you'd think it would. It's what bodyshops use to prep paint before they start sanding on it (they don't want to rub any contaminants into the paint with the sandpaper). I've been using it for years on all sorts of stuff with fantastic results. It'll even take tar out of jeans safely.

The only problem is that it's expensive, and it's only available at paint shops.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      03-12-2021, 05:18 PM   #10
M2forme
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Tire soap comes off very easy with just water when it's fresh, but it's a severe PITA when it sets up.

I wash it off the moment I get the car home, but have had to use PPG 330 on it before. It's what I recommend to everyone that needs to get something off of just about anything. It's aggressive, like a weak enamel reducer, but doesn't damage stuff like you'd think it would. It's what bodyshops use to prep paint before they start sanding on it (they don't want to rub any contaminants into the paint with the sandpaper). I've been using it for years on all sorts of stuff with fantastic results. It'll even take tar out of jeans safely.

The only problem is that it's expensive, and it's only available at paint shops.
DX330 is great stuff
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6629.00
      03-12-2021, 06:26 PM   #11
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

I just slapped on gyeon tyre stuff on new ps4s looks amazeballs
Appreciate 0