BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Front Bumper Scrape Help

11-03-2020, 05:45 PM   #1
Kickee
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Front Bumper Scrape Help

Good evening all,

I recently scraped my front bumper pulling into an incline parking spot. I’m looking for advice on how to fix this myself if able. 2017 M2 so the color is LBB, is it correct that this is C16?

I am thinking of sanding the rough part down then going from there to paint it. Other options I’ve heard include an aftermarket lip kit, using insurance (don’t really want to do this one), or having a local body/paint shop fix it. Does anyone have an estimate of how much that would cost?

I know it’s not an end all be all and the car still runs fine, I just feel dumb for allowing it to happen. I appreciate any help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Nice options, but you can do this if at all patient and a little handy.
Get a good quality filler...could be in tube or tub. Follow instructions of course. But do it slowly in stages...building up a very thin layer. Then follow instructs on curing. Might take 2-3 coats...but then slowly wet sand it back. Take your time after curing. Don't rush the hours or even evenings to do it. You will be able to get smooth enough there is no discernable edge to the repair. The mask and carefully apply your paint. Might be nice to have a proper rattle can of correct color (probably 20-25$ for custom one can). If you don't really know proper code, (mine is AlpineWht) so someone else can confirm you LBB. Or the custom-auto paint house (place where jobbers and indies go to get their supplies) can match completely by their laser gun placed on same area; then they mix to your exact shade, despite BMW codes, which sometimes match...sometimes not as there are variations depending upon factory paint job-lot and when constructed.
Mask carefully with painters tape and prime. Allow proper cure time...wet sand again...then mask for final light coats. Remove tape and you can hand compound out any over spray. If you take your time...not rush complete project, you will save a ton, and it will be in good nick.
Appreciate 0