BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Water wetter or OEM

05-30-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
Saintjah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Water wetter or OEM

Im changing out the OEM top mount intercooler soon and was wondering which was more optimal to refill with... Water wetter with distilled water or OEM coolant?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

OEM coolant to prevent rust and provide protection and lubrication for the cooling loop, any other coolant would be risky or incompatible so I always recommend the oem coolant. Also the OEM coolant is a concentrate so you will have to dilute it with distilled water anyways.
      05-30-2020, 08:10 PM   #3
Saintjah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Gotcha, OEM it is!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 08:14 PM   #4
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Careful using Water Wetter, many issues with that stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 08:39 PM   #5
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Holy Flashback Batman. Water wetter is what we/I used in the e36m3 that saw high heat because of the necessary fan delete mod (another story). I don’t want to make this lengthy, but even with the proper dilution, your t-stat reading will potentially be tricked into staying cold most of the time especially during highway driving and could cause all kinds of false readings. This was ok for an Obd1 s50 motor. The S55 is so far advanced with tech and cooling that it’s almost absolutely not worth the risk imho.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      05-30-2020, 09:39 PM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
Holy Flashback Batman. Water wetter is what we/I used in the e36m3 that saw high heat because of the necessary fan delete mod (another story). I don’t want to make this lengthy, but even with the proper dilution, your t-stat reading will potentially be tricked into staying cold most of the time especially during highway driving and could cause all kinds of false readings. This was ok for an Obd1 s50 motor. The S55 is so far advanced with tech and cooling that it’s almost absolutely not worth the risk imho.
Yeah water wetter is kind of like snake oil for coolant.
      05-31-2020, 10:22 AM   #7
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Lots of uninformed responses here. Been using a bottle of water wetter in my cooling system for my E46 M3 for over a decade with no corrosion or issues. It definitely helps with the added power and keeps the coolant from film boiling/nucleate boiling in the cylinder head while transferring all the extra heat. I've recently replaced my M2C top mount intercooler and added a bottle to both my intercooler cooling system and engine cooling system. There is no issue with the factory cooling system and hitting temperature targets of the thermostats. When used with oe coolant and distilled water I can verify that there will be no issue.

When used in any other manner like a pure distilled water solution with only water wetter as an additive I cannot comment.
      05-31-2020, 03:02 PM   #8
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Ive run Evans Coolant in all my previous track cars.

https://www.evanscoolant.com/

I'll wait until my warranty is up then add it.

There is no water in it and its a one time fill. Jay Leno uses it in all his cars.

Water is still a better conductor of heat removal but if it reaches 212 degrees then all kinds of problems arise.

One f the best things about EVANS is it doesn't expand or boil like water does.

YMMV
HAZMAT
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 08:23 PM   #9
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Lots of uninformed responses here. Been using a bottle of water wetter in my cooling system for my E46 M3 for over a decade with no corrosion or issues. It definitely helps with the added power and keeps the coolant from film boiling/nucleate boiling in the cylinder head while transferring all the extra heat. I've recently replaced my M2C top mount intercooler and added a bottle to both my intercooler cooling system and engine cooling system. There is no issue with the factory cooling system and hitting temperature targets of the thermostats. When used with oe coolant and distilled water I can verify that there will be no issue.

When used in any other manner like a pure distilled water solution with only water wetter as an additive I cannot comment.
Yeah, that is along the lines of what I just posted. There will be no issue with ww and coolant because oe coolant will supersede what ww can accomplish as an additive in an s55. OP was asking whether or not if he should add ww and just water vrs using oe coolant.

Curious, why are you adding ww to your M2C’s coolant?
Are you overheating? Track?

Last edited by clutchdj; 05-31-2020 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 09:02 PM   #10
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

Green top (HT-12)?

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 10:14 PM   #11
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
Yeah, that is along the lines of what I just posted. There will be no issue with ww and coolant because oe coolant will supersede what ww can accomplish as an additive in an s55. OP was asking whether or not if he should add ww and just water vrs using oe coolant.

Curious, why are you adding ww to your M2C’s coolant?
Are you overheating? Track?
No overheating issues with my M2C. Having had great experience with water wetter as I posted above with my M3 I justified it as a great additive to continue using in my M2C. It works great when used for what it was made to do...it's not a replacement for coolant; it is an additive.

See below for the purpose as in this link: https://www.redlineoil.com/waterwetter

WATERWETTER®
Unique agent for cooling systems that doubles the wetting ability of water
Rust and corrosion protection allows for use of straight water in racing or reduced antifreeze levels in warm climates
Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature
Use one bottle for most passenger cars and light trucks, treats 3 to 5 gallons or 13.2 to 15.9 liters, vehicles with larger cooling systems should use two bottles, small cooling systems should use 1oz (3 to 4 capfuls) per quart
Compatible with new or used antifreeze (including DEX-COOL® and long-life versions) to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems
Satisfies ASTM D2570 and ASTM D1384 corrosion tests for glycol-based antifreezes
Contains no ethylene glycol
      06-01-2020, 10:58 AM   #12
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Is anyone having any heating issues to justify taking additional precautions? Seems like the stock system is fine even with tuned S55's. Mine's tuned and i've not had a single issue at the track or otherwise. Can't say exactly if any timing has been pulled but i doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 11:36 AM   #13
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Is anyone having any heating issues to justify taking additional precautions? Seems like the stock system is fine even with tuned S55's. Mine's tuned and i've not had a single issue at the track or otherwise. Can't say exactly if any timing has been pulled but i doubt it.
So far I haven't seen any heating issues with the cooling system prior to adding water wetter, however adding a bit of water wetter to the system will only improve things; there is nothing negative that can result from this additive in my experience (and many others have had this same, positive experience).