BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Thoughts on PPF - Doing Front Bumper + Full Sides

12-28-2020, 12:10 PM   #1
Q_Subsub
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW 6MT

Thoughts on PPF - Doing Front Bumper + Full Sides

I wanted to get the forum members' thoughts on putting PPF on front bumper (plus headlights) and full sides instead of the more typical work of full front.

For the first 2+ years of my ownership, I did not have any PPF done (a decision that I somewhat regret) and had my front bumper and rocker panels severely chewed up from all the mountain driving and a handful of track days. After just putting up with it for a while, I finally got the bumper and the rocker panels refinished this winter and am contemplating on PPF decisions.

I do have a couple of small rock chips on the hood, but not nearly as much on the areas mentioned above. I think given the relative boxy and flared shape of the M2, that doing just the bumper and the sides make more sense, but wanted to see if anyone has gone that route, or have any thoughts on it.

Thanks in advance for your inputs!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 01:38 PM   #2
MLifeCrisis
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C & 2018 S1000RR

Hello -
I had PPF put on my M2C and am glad I had it done. I had full front, hood, fenders, A pillars and 6 inches of roof, rockers and rear fender (front and back).
My car is Black Sapphire Metallic and shows everything - no regrets.
You can always get the hood touched up before installing.
Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2020, 02:11 PM   #3
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Subsub View Post
I wanted to get the forum members' thoughts on putting PPF on front bumper (plus headlights) and full sides instead of the more typical work of full front.

For the first 2+ years of my ownership, I did not have any PPF done (a decision that I somewhat regret) and had my front bumper and rocker panels severely chewed up from all the mountain driving and a handful of track days. After just putting up with it for a while, I finally got the bumper and the rocker panels refinished this winter and am contemplating on PPF decisions.

I do have a couple of small rock chips on the hood, but not nearly as much on the areas mentioned above. I think given the relative boxy and flared shape of the M2, that doing just the bumper and the sides make more sense, but wanted to see if anyone has gone that route, or have any thoughts on it.

Thanks in advance for your inputs!
I think you answered your own question with two+ years of real experience. If you ever get the hood refinished I would add that as well.

For me getting the PPF done was death by a thousand cuts. I walked in intending to get basic front protection and then I added the hood, roof and high impact side sections.
At that point a full PPF was not too much more and then we decided to do the full matte.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 07:56 PM   #4
Q_Subsub
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW 6MT

Thanks for your inputs. It sounds like you both opted to get the hood and at least parts of the roof ppf'd as well and are happy with your decisions. I will keep that in mind.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2020, 10:18 AM   #5
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

I got my entire car PPF'ed and have no regrets. That being said, I don't think it's "necessary" to get the entire thing done, obviously, but just comes down to how anal you are about swirls/chips/scratches etc. I'm very happy with mine thus far, and it's the first time I've had PPF put on any car I owned (also the first time I bought a brand new car). I'd be hard pressed not to get at least a front clip (bumper, entire hood, front fenders, mirrors, and headlights) done on any new car my family purchases it in the future too. Do you get all of your investment back upon sale of the vehicle? No. Do you get some value back upon sale of the vehicle? Probably. But regardless, for me at least, the peace of mind is worth the money - YMMV, but I'm a PPF believer.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 12:58 PM   #6
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

When I had my m235i one area I did not expect to get rock chips were my doors so I decided to get full PPF on my M2C. As others have said, no swirl marks is a huge bonus.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 01:47 PM   #7
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
I only had the front bumper and side mirrors covered cus I had to get it painted and wanted to preserve it from rock chips. I'm glad I did as I can already see nicks on the film that would have surely chipped the paint. As an added bonus, bugs and dirt stick so well to the film which makes washing easier.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 10:31 PM   #8
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

My OG m2 was keyed all down the passenger side.. I'll be doing full car ppf on my comp this time around. It's cheap insurance.
      01-04-2021, 07:36 PM   #9
GFEA
@333m2c
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c f87 S55

Garage List
What's the advantage of ppf over a 3m vinyl wrap? The prices seem to be relatively close to the same

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1805010
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 09:06 PM   #10
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFEA View Post
What's the advantage of ppf over a 3m vinyl wrap? The prices seem to be relatively close to the same
Based on a quick search - Wraps are thinner and don't offer the same amount of protection and they don't last as long in hot environments.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 10:19 PM   #11
supersam
Da Baus
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT, RA, E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLifeCrisis View Post
Hello -
I had PPF put on my M2C and am glad I had it done. I had full front, hood, fenders, A pillars and 6 inches of roof, rockers and rear fender (front and back).
My car is Black Sapphire Metallic and shows everything - no regrets.
You can always get the hood touched up before installing.
Hope that helps.
Agree, don't neglect the A pillars and anterior roof section
E46 330ci --> S54 M3 xplant vzv 3bananas (retired)
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2021, 01:13 AM   #12
GFEA
@333m2c
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgs4 View Post
Quote:
Based on a quick search - Wraps are thinner and don't offer the same amount of protection and they don't last as long in hot environments.
Yeah I read that too I'm just sayin if it's about the same price to wrap the whole car as it is to ppf critical areas I'm almost leaning towards the wrap at that point.

Logic tells me ppf is the better product for the track if it makes cost sense to cover the whole car.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 01:53 AM   #13
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I read that too I'm just sayin if it's about the same price to wrap the whole car as it is to ppf critical areas I'm almost leaning towards the wrap at that point.

Logic tells me ppf is the better product for the track if it makes cost sense to cover the whole car.
Each has a purpose with a lot of overlap - depends on what you see as most important. If you are price sensitive to getting the entire car PPF'ed or want a color change with a bit of protection a wrap hits the bullseye. Several forum members have really nice color-change wraps.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 02:24 PM   #14
GFEA
@333m2c
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgs4 View Post
Quote:

Each has a purpose with a lot of overlap - depends on what you see as most important. If you are price sensitive to getting the entire car PPF'ed or want a color change with a bit of protection a wrap hits the bullseye. Several forum members have really nice color-change wraps.
Ok so here's some specs to help out been calling around.

Full vinyl wrap 2-3k. Lasts 3 years depending on color. 3mm thick. Still subject to rock chips.

Full ceramic ppf 6k. Lasts 10 years. Self healing. 6mm thick.

Ppf for just critical zones: 1,500-2500

Hope this helps. If you're keep

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 11:45 AM   #15
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

I opted to ceramic coat the entire car and only PPF the front bumper for now. Due to the 6 month wait before you can ppf cus chemicals in the ceramic I'm getting ceramic coating on the entire car tomorrow except the bumper. After the PPF is installed I'm taking it back to ceramic coat over top the PPF.
Total cost: $1,150
      04-30-2021, 10:06 AM   #16
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I've never done any sort of PPF of any of my previous cars, but decided to PPF the front bumper of the M2C, along with the headlights. Went with PremiumShield and it looks fantastic.
Appreciate 0