BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > High Quality OBD Scanner

02-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
Dalmango
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

High Quality OBD Scanner

Any recommendations for a high-end OBD scanner to reset service intervals & fault codes. I'm after a high-end scanner that operates well with the M2 2018 model.

I'm not after a Carly subscription or any of the cheap useless ones, it needs to be a reliable powerful bit if kit. Combinations with other vehicles are not required, it's just for the M2.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:18 PM   #2
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmango View Post
Any recommendations for a high-end OBD scanner to reset service intervals & fault codes. I'm after a high-end scanner that operates well with the M2 2018 model.

I'm not after a Carly subscription or any of the cheap useless ones, it needs to be a reliable powerful bit if kit. Combinations with other vehicles are not required, it's just for the M2.
I would suggest looking at the list that Bimmercode supports, they all seems of high quality. And since they work with the BC app, they serve dual purpose.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:50 PM   #3
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

The MHD F series wifi obd2 adapter is the best one available that bimmercode supports. It is able to fully utilize the bmw flexray system and has insane flashing rates. For example the vgate i car pro bluetooth adapter was recomended by bimmercode and that took ~30 seconds to load some of the modules in bimmercode, the mhd adapter loads those same modules in under 1 second, same goes with flashing.

Also the mhd adapter has an ethernet jack so you can also use it with ISTA and ESYS, therefore you can get two devices for the price of one (ENET cable and wireless obd2 adapter). This pretty much justifies its high price tag.
      03-02-2020, 09:10 PM   #4
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
I had a veepeak, now I have the MHD and it's so great, really fast.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 07:04 AM   #5
Dalmango
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
The MHD F series wifi obd2 adapter is the best one available that bimmercode supports.

Also the mhd adapter has an ethernet jack so you can also use it with ISTA and ESYS, therefore you can get two devices for the price of one (ENET cable and wireless obd2 adapter). This pretty much justifies its high price tag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0butt View Post
I had a veepeak, now I have the MHD and it's so great, really fast.
Brilliant input guys, thanks so much; this is the exact quality input I was after. Is it only for tuning/ mapping? Can you go resetting service codes, fault codes etc... Is there a database with the error/ service codes?

Any other recommendations others please feel free to input their features for other users in the future.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Brilliant input guys, thanks so much; this is the exact quality input I was after. Is it only for tuning/ mapping? Can you go resetting service codes, fault codes etc... Is there a database with the error/ service codes?

Any other recommendations others please feel free to input their features for other users in the future.
It can also function as a regular wifi adapter for things like bimmercode.

Yes you can reset codes via MHD.

The generic obd2 codes are pretty much crap for BMWs, they don't tell too much about the car. That's where ISTA comes in as it is factory BMW software that they use at the dealer to diagnose cars. It can read codes, clear errors, run through diagnostics etc. You can use this in conjunction with the mhd WiFi adapter and Ethernet cable. Just be careful when using it so you don't screw up the car.
      03-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #7
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

If you happen to want Bootmod3 in the future, it might be worth just investing in an E-Net cable, and a Ethernet to Lightning port adapter so you can connect it directly to your iPhone. To my knowledge Bootmod3 currently only works off a wired connection.

The downside is that it's a wired connection, so a little more "hassle" when it comes to coding / flashing the vehicle, but it allows you to do the flashing / coding significantly faster and will work on almost all the available apps and tuning platforms available. The MHD adapter is just as fast when it comes to the wired setup, however it's a pricey module. The upside to this setup is that it offers the same advantage of the MHD wireless adapter, but at a cheaper price point.

Either way you can't go wrong! Just providing another alternative.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 02:16 PM   #8
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I have both the enet cable and setups for the E series BMW and F series. But if you just want to clear codes and run scans, nothing beats the convenience of an ELM adapter and Torque Pro from the app store. Used it on all my BMWs without issue. Most important it provides accurate and specific code description. Personally I haven't had an issue with speed or latency.

https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Bluet...3781337&sr=8-4
      03-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #9
larry.beck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I use the Veepeak to do some work with Bimmercode but yesterday I was trying to connect it with TrackAddict and it wasn't reliable. Anyone experienced the same? And will the WiFi MHD version be better?
      03-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #10
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry.beck View Post
I use the Veepeak to do some work with Bimmercode but yesterday I was trying to connect it with TrackAddict and it wasn't reliable. Anyone experienced the same? And will the WiFi MHD version be better?
Mhd WiFi is amazing, loading modules takes under 1 second or 3 at Max whereas the I car pro takes up to a min. Flashing takes about 1 second while it takes 15 seconds + for the vgate I car pro. The mhd WiFi adapter is stupid fast.
      03-10-2020, 04:20 PM   #11
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:

Can you describe your understanding of the difference between High Quality and High Grade?

In this era of digital systems, they work or they don't. There isn't much difference otherwise. Some may be more durable, or have more features, but that's Grade, rather than Quality.

HTH.
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      03-10-2020, 04:32 PM   #12
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Can you describe your understanding of the difference between High Quality and High Grade?

In this era of digital systems, they work or they don't. There isn't much difference otherwise. Some may be more durable, or have more features, but that's Grade, rather than Quality.

HTH.
+1

But those cheaper elm 357 Bluetooth adapters from eBay have really crappy sautering, and some of them have poor glue application around the seal holding the lid on. This is what I found out about my vgate I car pro, which was $30.

So that would be a quality issue. If you buy for example the obd link lx or mx generic obd2 adapter, then yeah it'll be pretty good.
      03-10-2020, 04:45 PM   #13
Dalmango
Enlisted Member
Rep

Fantastic input guys, many thanks, right it seems that MHD is well thought of & larry.beck many thanks for sharing your experiences with Veepak; this is the exact feedback I'm after.

Right I'm looking at the MHD so far unless anyone else comes up with something else quite impressive. I'm not too worried about loading times, so long as it's under 10 mins or so. I'm only using it to service my own car; not in a professional capacity.

Thanks again people, I got some great input here & am most grateful.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2020, 05:45 PM   #14
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

ISTA + used laptop + lead (or wifi dongles if you insist) = everything that BMW can do for you for less than they would charge for a single diagnostic.

As you're only looking to service your own car, the longevity of the physical components when subjected to daily use is less of an issue.

Edited to reflect feedback from F87Source.

Last edited by M Fifty; 03-12-2020 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: Feedback.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 06:02 PM   #15
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
INPA + used laptop + lead (or wifi dongles if you insist) = everything that BMW can do for you for less than they would charge for a single diagnostic.

As you're only looking to service your own car, the longevity of the physical components when subjected to daily use is less of an issue.
Not trying to be a douche but you're incorrect, INPA is for older E series bmws. The new F and G series bmws (M2 included) use ISTA+ (ISTA-D + ISTA-P combined).
      09-02-2022, 12:34 PM   #16
bwhyz
United_States
Rep
Drives: Incoming LCI M2

semi-reviving this thread.. was wondering if anyone has any more recent experience with these dongles and recommends a specific model for bimmercode?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 01:30 PM   #17
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

I like the mhd enet wifi adapter, it's fast and reliable
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 02:26 PM   #18
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I like the mhd enet wifi adapter, it's fast and reliable
I suppose that mhd is only to see failures in the engine module.

I use istaD for diagnosis and HU SHM lite to record maintenance on idrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 04:26 PM   #19
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrive_X View Post
I suppose that mhd is only to see failures in the engine module.

I use istaD for diagnosis and HU SHM lite to record maintenance on idrive.
Oh you mean the diagnostics software, then ista is the best.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 03:03 AM   #20
AFatMiata
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW OG M2

+1 to MHD adapter.

Very quick for communicating the car with bimmercode and the MHD app itself to read codes.
Appreciate 0