BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Foot get caught when clutching out?

02-24-2020, 11:05 AM   #1
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Foot get caught when clutching out?

Hey guys so i have a strange "issue". The issue is that after i press the clutch in and then slowly let off, the tip of my foot (toe area) kinda gets stuck in the upper area right above the pedal. Now my drive style is i generally press the clutch, then anchor my heel to give myself a leverage point in order to maximize clutch control. This mainly happens when i'm in stop and go traffic or if i'm inching forward or backward.

I'm 6'3" and my shoe size is a 12. Now the shoe i tend to wear the most are my Adidas Ultraboost which are a bit wide in the toe area so i'm not sure if this is the reason for that. I do have a few pairs of Asics Onitsuka Tigers which are a thinner running shoe that i can try and see if it fixes that problem. I've also been thinking of getting some driving shoes to fix this problem for extended drives.

For reference i drove the same way in my BRZ, S2000, Focus ST, Fiesta ST, WRX, Eclipse GST and never had the foot catch issue. The only car that i seem to have this issue in is the Mazda ND Miata.

I'm curious if any of you have experienced the same thing and what your solution to it was. Changing the way my clutch foot works right now is putting more strain on me just driving around that i feel it should, but maybe i just need to get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #2
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I tried driving shoes, unfortunately my extremely wide feet won't comfortably fit in them. Try tennis shoes, they are made with less toe space.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #3
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I tried driving shoes, unfortunately my extremely wide feet won't comfortably fit in them. Try tennis shoes, they are made with less toe space.
Do you have the same issue as i do if you wear wider toe area shoes? I'm just wondering if maybe i've actually had terribly driving technique all these years.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #4
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

I often have to buy my shoes too big for my feet since my feet are like paddles 😂. It leaves floppy hollow toes at the end that get caught on stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #5
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

I operate the clutch EXACTLY the same way you do - with my heel as an anchor, and my foot feathering the clutch pedal to get max control.

I've tried every conceivable shoe in existence and came to a conclusion.

The M2C in 6MT form was never meant to be driven with a left shoe. Socks only, with left shoe removed and placed in the passenger footwell.

We need a t-shirt for this.

Last edited by MMMBRAP; 02-24-2020 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #6
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
I operate the clutch EXACTLY the same way you do - with my heel as an anchor, and my foot feathering the clutch pedal to get max control.

I've tried every conceivable shoe in existence and came to a conclusion.

The M2C in 6MT form was never meant to be driven with a left shoe. Socks only, with left shoe removed and placed in the passenger footwell.

We need a t-shirt for this.
Oh wow ok so this isnt just me then. I generally hate using the clutch without a shoe on. For some reason i really need the extra "weight" there to modulate it properly. I'm going to try tonight with some thinner shoes and see if it makes a difference.
Appreciate 1
MMMBRAP975.50
      02-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #7
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

I wear ultra boost size 10. No issue here with getting caught anywhere. But I also don't anchor my heel and can control the clutch just fine using the whole leg
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:10 PM   #8
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
I wear ultra boost size 10. No issue here with getting caught anywhere. But I also don't anchor my heel and can control the clutch just fine using the whole leg
Yeah i find if i use my entire leg then i dont get an issue getting my foot caught. However in stop and go traffic or parking lots, using my whole leg to adjust clutch control is more effort than it needs to be.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:15 PM   #9
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
Oh wow ok so this isnt just me then. I generally hate using the clutch without a shoe on. For some reason i really need the extra "weight" there to modulate it properly. I'm going to try tonight with some thinner shoes and see if it makes a difference.

Also, don't wear any shoes with "studs" on it. I have a pair of driving shoes with grippy studs and using our heel anchor method with shoes like that is a nightmare.

I also tried driving with my AirMax's on since it has a relatively smooth bottom but that didn't work out either.

Socks bruh. Socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
I tried the whole leg thing, and (it's most likely just me) I can't control the clutch well.

It's MOST likely because I'm 5'7" and have short legs lmao.

Using my heel as an anchor helps me a lot.

The ONLY car I could wear shoes and drive perfectly was in a new ND MX-5, which was the car I almost bought before deciding it was too cramped for me.

The 6MT shifter in the ND is SUBLIME and the clutch is buttery smooth, even with shoes on.

Last edited by MMMBRAP; 02-24-2020 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:24 PM   #10
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Size 11 shoe, don't have any problems with it getting stuck. I don't use the anchor method, as you described, simply just use my whole leg.

I would look into removing the panel above the pedals. None of my other cars had this panel, and (from what I can tell), it just prevents you from being able to see up into the pedal box. Should give you some more foot room.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:26 PM   #11
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

This issue could be linked to driving posituon also.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:27 PM   #12
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
I've experienced that, i mostly wear Jordans but i've also experienced that with Timbs. However, when i wear dress shoes, there doesn't seem to be that issue. Probably just the way the pedal box was designed. It's not dangerous or anything, just something to be cognizant about.
      02-24-2020, 01:46 PM   #13
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Size 11 shoe, don't have any problems with it getting stuck. I don't use the anchor method, as you described, simply just use my whole leg.

I would look into removing the panel above the pedals. None of my other cars had this panel, and (from what I can tell), it just prevents you from being able to see up into the pedal box. Should give you some more foot room.
Ooooooh thats probably it. yeah thining about it, none of my other cars had that panel either. I'll look into that. it might make my entire life way easier.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:46 PM   #14
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Issue here i think is the heel pivot. Clutches are meant to be used whole-leg just with the ball of your foot on the pedal

Or a slight heel drag at bite point in traffic maybe.

But if you put your foot way up then your toes get caught under the dash trim.

I'm only size 8 and if i have winter boots on i can't feel the pedal, my foot slides up and sometimes get my toes caught.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:47 PM   #15
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
This issue could be linked to driving posituon also.
I thought about this and spent a good 10 min readjusting my driving position to see if it helps. The best i've been able to manage is get the seat as low as possible and far back enough so that i'm forced to use my entire leg rather than my heel. It works, but its more energy to do the same action that barely took a second thought originally.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:49 PM   #16
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Issue here i think is the heel pivot. Clutches are meant to be used whole-leg just with the ball of your foot on the pedal

Or a slight heel drag at bite point in traffic maybe.

But if you put your foot way up then your toes get caught under the dash trim.

I'm only size 8 and if i have winter boots on i can't feel the pedal, my foot slides up and sometimes get my toes caught.
It sounds like it might be a combination of covering panels, different clutch technique and just driving position
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:50 PM   #17
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Ooooooh thats probably it. yeah thining about it, none of my other cars had that panel either. I'll look into that. it might make my entire life way easier.
2 bolts and some clips and it comes out. Easy enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:54 PM   #18
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Agree. The pedal area upper trim panel is low on the M2, not much toe room...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #19
BlkSVT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2c BSM, 2020 MB GLC63

Size 12-13 Steel toe, pretty hefty, workboots for winter, and not an issue. I have to say though, my goofy proportions do come as a benefit in this car. 6' tall but 36 inseam and 38 sleeve length have seat all the way back, steering slammed forward, and plenty of headroom

Now, catching brake pedal all the time with my right foot on the gas and wearing boots? That's a thing
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 06:33 PM   #20
xxyion
Captain
Rep

I actually adjusted my technique and so far have no had an issue.

For those wondering, i've been clutching in with the pad of the foot right behind the toes. Then lifting back right before the engagment point. Once there i anchor my heel and then release the clutch out as i normally do. If i drive it like that i have zero issues.

However due to this it seems like a BMS clutch stop might be in order as the amount of space that i have to move my leg before i anchor my heel is roughly the same distance that the clutch stop is supposed to get rid of. So that might be on my list of first mods.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 06:28 AM   #21
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Hey guys so i have a strange "issue". The issue is that after i press the clutch in and then slowly let off, the tip of my foot (toe area) kinda gets stuck in the upper area right above the pedal. Now my drive style is i generally press the clutch, then anchor my heel to give myself a leverage point in order to maximize clutch control. This mainly happens when i'm in stop and go traffic or if i'm inching forward or backward.

I'm 6'3" and my shoe size is a 12. Now the shoe i tend to wear the most are my Adidas Ultraboost which are a bit wide in the toe area so i'm not sure if this is the reason for that. I do have a few pairs of Asics Onitsuka Tigers which are a thinner running shoe that i can try and see if it fixes that problem. I've also been thinking of getting some driving shoes to fix this problem for extended drives.

For reference i drove the same way in my BRZ, S2000, Focus ST, Fiesta ST, WRX, Eclipse GST and never had the foot catch issue. The only car that i seem to have this issue in is the Mazda ND Miata.

I'm curious if any of you have experienced the same thing and what your solution to it was. Changing the way my clutch foot works right now is putting more strain on me just driving around that i feel it should, but maybe i just need to get used to it.
Size 13, 6E here

Every MT BMW I have owned I feel like my shoes got in the way. Asics were a great solution due to the more pointed toe area.
      02-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #22
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I'm not sure how these would do for all of you with such big feet, but these are my favorite driving shoes at this point. I have a couple of pairs:

https://piloti.com/
Appreciate 0