United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridex View Post
Shots fired!
Absolutely. Although not at him, but towards whomever told him that. Just utter stupidity.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 12:21 PM   #24
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
does the frontal collision actually work? its a red light that flashes when u accelerate too close to someone. Does it actually brake for you? If it does, then I can tell you it works extremely late.
I feel like I read that our system is designed to lessen the severity of accidents. So...I think it does brake for you, just too late to actually keep you from hitting something

I think it yells at you with a sound too before hand, in addition to the light on the dash. I know some systems also do stuff like tighten down the seatbelts as well but really...I mean not rear ending people is like the MOST basic thing on the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #25
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
does the frontal collision actually work? its a red light that flashes when u accelerate too close to someone. Does it actually brake for you? If it does, then I can tell you it works extremely late.
I had read something in the manual (yes I RTFM), and even took pics to confirm with this board. Looks like there will be braking involved. Reason why the braking is late is that its saved for the last moment, otherwise this feature would interfere with your driving all the time if you are an aggressive driver.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Moflow2484.50
cptobvious2531.50
Brandt51838.00
      02-19-2020, 01:02 PM   #26
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I studied up on collision warning on the 5. I don't know if it works the same on the M2 and I've not explored it specifically. On the 5 you can adjust the sensitivity to early/normal/late. I've kept mine on normal. It also has 3 levels of detection/intervention depending on distance and closing speeds..

Over 2 years of city traffic, I've had all 3, in order of severity: 2 beeps and red warning symbol, several fast beeps and flashing symbols, and actual braking. It seems to brake as hard as needed, near threshold levels if need be. If paying attention, the car seems to react a split second faster than you. IE my foot is heading to the brake as I get the alerts and/or it braking.
Once on track, I was catching a Miata going 40-50 mph faster than it going into a braking zone. I got the warning and then braking just as I was about to nail the binders behind it. I've also had it nail the brakes when pulling out of a shoping center and a cyclist goes whizzing by the front of the car, from the opposite direction I was looking. That was odd, look left, give it gas to pull out when all clear, move 2 feet and, wham, its on the brakes, stops the car, and beeps as the guy flies by from the right. I missed him by a foot.

Note I can disable the braking but still get warning beeps and an iDrive alert that I should re-enable it.

On the M550i I also have pedestrian/animal detection, and night vision that even does that in the dark. I've gotten several warnings over the 2 years. It's especially cool with all the deer in WV at night.

Last edited by richard in NC; 02-19-2020 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 12:54 AM   #27
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
One of the first things you'll be taught in an advanced driving course is that there is no such thing as a blind spot. It is a concept dreamt up by people that use their mirrors to check if their own car is still there. It usually is. If not, you'd likely notice.
This is just about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
They'll teach how to set your seat position and wheel correctly too. You should do one. It will help with these emotions and you will enjoy your car more as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 06:44 AM   #28
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
They'll teach how to set your seat position and wheel correctly too. You should do one. It will help with these emotions and you will enjoy your car more as well.
I attended the Steve Saleen weekend school, as well as the Bob Bondurant school many years ago with narry a word uttered to the effect that no car has a blind spot if your seat and mirrors are adjusted correctly.

The fact that you believe such nonsense means you should probably be in church right now instead of on a forum.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      02-20-2020, 11:38 AM   #29
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
I attended the Steve Saleen weekend school, as well as the Bob Bondurant school many years ago with narry a word uttered to the effect that no car has a blind spot if your seat and mirrors are adjusted correctly.

The fact that you believe such nonsense means you should probably be in church right now instead of on a forum.
Yea, now that I think about it, unless your head swivels in a 360 degree motion, it's virtually impossible to have "no blind spots." There will always be a compromise, based on your set viewing position.

Depending on a specific seating position to avoid all blind spots in a vehicle is as effective as praying..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 12:29 PM   #30
alan7467
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 Sketchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
I'm normally a bit of a Luddite, but heated seats and blind spot monitoring are two "superfluous" features that have been getting pretty common in recent years that...i just have to admit to really liking.

I'm bummed the M2C doesn't have BSM. HOWEVER, it does offer something better: excellent visibility out of the cabin. If i had to choose, i'd take good visibility over BSM any day.
Totally agree. Having excellent outward visibility is preferable to poor visibility with BSM. Sitting in the new Supra and then the M2 really illuminates this for me. I've been so hyped up to drive the Supra, but after sitting in a few I've lost interest. The visibility is so bad in that car. Daily driving it would get old fast in Denver traffic, even with BSM.
      02-20-2020, 04:31 PM   #31
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
One of the first things you'll be taught in an advanced driving course is that there is no such thing as a blind spot. It is a concept dreamt up by people that use their mirrors to check if their own car is still there. It usually is. If not, you'd likely notice.
This is simply not true in all cases. There are many cars in production that have blind spots with properly adjusted mirrors. There is a finite field of view for a given mirror and if it's not >= the area you need to view then it cannot eliminate a blind spot no matter how it's adjusted.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      02-20-2020, 05:08 PM   #32
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
When I'm switching lanes at 100mph+, I don't have to look; I know there is no one on either side of me
I know you're kidding, but watch out for motorcycles. They travel at a fast clip too. But I've been guilty of feeling all alone while cooking up a fast pace then bust a lane change for whatever and then think; oops, that could have been real bad.

When I rode on the street and was passing a fast moving car on a highway/freeway, I was keenly aware the driver probably think they're alone and I would stay as far over as possible when going by them. It really is the riders responsibility when passing, but not all of them think that way and I don't want any blood on my hands.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      02-20-2020, 05:13 PM   #33
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Well, most of the time. The couple of times I test drove a modern Camaro, I felt like most of the world had disappeared into an near endless blind spot. Seriously, the M2C doesn't need anything but the mirrors...visibility is great.
Dude, no doubt. I test drove one to see if I could deal with the blind spots. I didn't think it was all that bad as some made it out to be, but the review mirror is a camera...because it had to be. Hahahaha. I had to have a 2SS optioned car with the blind spot nannies to buy one. But since 2SS cars with the 1LE track package are hard to come by, the M2 came home with me instead. And yeah, no blind spots at all. It's brilliant.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #34
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
I had read something in the manual (yes I RTFM), and even took pics to confirm with this board. Looks like there will be braking involved. Reason why the braking is late is that its saved for the last moment, otherwise this feature would interfere with your driving all the time if you are an aggressive driver.

I love this feature.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #35
halfredxy
Rep
Drives: 2020 HS DCT M2C

No, that triangle is dead.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 06:05 PM   #36
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

TLDR: I know how to drive, if I wanted nannies I'd get a Tesla.

In my experience BMW's blind spot detection sucks. First time I drove a car with it freaked me out, it overreacts to anything within roughly 30 ft of your car. In traffic it's annoying AF, it literally jerks and vibrates the steering wheel to keep you from changing lanes. Even if traffic is moving at the same speed as you meaning the cars around you are stationary relative to you, because everyone is moving at the same speed. I check my mirrors and even turn my head before changing lanes, so when it does that it freaks me out, because it makes me hesitate making a lane change. Good thing about this feature in cars that have it is you can turn it off.
Appreciate 1
MMMBRAP975.50
      02-20-2020, 06:32 PM   #37
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Looks like there will be braking involved. Reason why the braking is late is that its saved for the last moment, otherwise this feature would interfere with your driving all the time if you are an aggressive driver.
Light braking though, right? I have the sensitivity turned down in my wife's Mazda and it goes from visual warning (HUD), visual warning+sound, to hard braking to avoid a collision.

I've triggered it a couple times and it is quite jarring when you are not on the brakes and the car brakes hard to avoid what it thinks is an imminent collision. In both cases, the car in front of me was turning right and I didn't slow down because I realized I would not hit them if they completed the turn normally.

I (wrongly) assumed the BMWs was visual only.

Regarding the BSM feature, the euro wide angle/aspherical mirrors are an option (some folks hate them, but I've had them on multiple BMWs and love them).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:05 AM   #38
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Never heard of them. Love the alliteration though. They sound like characters from the Whacky Races. You should get your money back.

It's an in joke with advanced driving instructors about people that like to see their own car in their side mirrors. I suspect you are one of them.

Also. This should help.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-blind-spots/
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 06:40 AM   #39
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
TLDR: I know how to drive, if I wanted nannies I'd get a Tesla.

In my experience BMW's blind spot detection sucks. First time I drove a car with it freaked me out, it overreacts to anything within roughly 30 ft of your car. In traffic it's annoying AF, it literally jerks and vibrates the steering wheel to keep you from changing lanes. Even if traffic is moving at the same speed as you meaning the cars around you are stationary relative to you, because everyone is moving at the same speed. I check my mirrors and even turn my head before changing lanes, so when it does that it freaks me out, because it makes me hesitate making a lane change. Good thing about this feature in cars that have it is you can turn it off.

Blind Spot Detection and Lane Departure Warning are two of the most useless features in modern vehicles. To me personally, these two systems are more intrusive/disruptive than it is helpful.

That said, Cross-Traffic Alert and Frontal Collision Warning systems are ACTUALLY helpful and has helped me out a few times.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:21 AM   #40
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Never heard of them.
I stopped right there.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:40 AM   #41
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Light braking though, right? I have the sensitivity turned down in my wife's Mazda and it goes from visual warning (HUD), visual warning+sound, to hard braking to avoid a collision.

I've triggered it a couple times and it is quite jarring when you are not on the brakes and the car brakes hard to avoid what it thinks is an imminent collision. In both cases, the car in front of me was turning right and I didn't slow down because I realized I would not hit them if they completed the turn normally.

I (wrongly) assumed the BMWs was visual only.

Regarding the BSM feature, the euro wide angle/aspherical mirrors are an option (some folks hate them, but I've had them on multiple BMWs and love them).
I think that's what it says, light braking. Hopefully dont get to test it. My Audi will brake so hard it will scare the shit out of you.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:46 AM   #42
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Blind spot on a 2 series? Come on. Adjust the mirrors, there is no blind spot with properly adjusted mirrors. It's a small 2 door car, not a semi truck.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 10:07 AM   #43
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Blind spot on a 2 series? Come on. Adjust the mirrors, there is no blind spot with properly adjusted mirrors. It's a small 2 door car, not a semi truck.
Blind Spot Monitor is now a standard feature in the M235i Grand Coupe, so there is that..

The only reason it wasn't offered on the F-Generation 2 Series was due to cost-cutting.

Now that the cost of the technology has amortized amongst other higher-tier models, it has trickle down into the entry-level 2 Series..

I still could live without it but if it's offered on my next vehicle, like why not
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 12:03 PM   #44
somberlaine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (ED 6/6/19)

Quote:
Interesting point. Not sure why lane departure was included. Who uses that? Its the first thing I turned off. I can see frontal collision being offered standard, I think most $20K cars have it, and it helps pedestrians as well.
blind spot may be (the only?) 2021 new option.
Appreciate 0