Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

02-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #1
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

M2 vs F Type S

So, I understand I may be getting biased answers here but would appreciate as objective opinion as possible. I am getting rid of my Frozen 540 that I got last year and thinking of making a switch to one of these two options;

2018 M2 or 2017 F Type S (v6)

The M2 has 12K km's, is cheaper by at least $300 a month (possibly slightly more), is DCT (I prefer so wife can drive the odd time).

The F Type is brand new (even though 2017) with less than 500 km's, more expensive, manual transmission (preference would be auto but I will do manual for the 'nicer' car).

I am torn between which option to go with and have been weighing the pros and cons. The Jag is gorgeous and I like it better than M2 in that regard, but the M2 is not ugly. The Jag sounds absolutely sick as we all know but the M2 also has the M Performance Exhaust.

The M2 will be my 6th BMW in 4 years (including E92 M3, E70 X5M, F80 M3, 440i Gran Coupe, 540xi) and I have never owned a Jaguar before so would be a nice change.

Anyway, I can go on and on. I am actually surprised how tough the decision actually is. So I thought I will post on forums and perhaps let the hordes help me make my mind.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Hownmany seats in ftype
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 01:15 AM   #3
TripleU
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 M2, 23 Ford F150 Raptor

Garage List
  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Have a friend who used to lease a F Type S, so I have driven both. M2 is way more fun while F Type feels a lot heavier to drive. Since you prefer automatic anyways, M2 is way to go because of the dual clutch rather than the regular F Type. MPE makes my M2 sound as good as the F-Type's V6.

Also, in his 2nd year with the F Type, he has already had to replace his water pump while my M2 has had almost zero issues (the only one issue was headlight going out which was quickly fixed under warranty).

Past: 2015 Lexus IS 250, 2014 Volkswagen CC R-Line
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Just went to test drive today. Didn't even drive the DCT version I was looking at as the one that had winter tires was stick shift. Drove it. Then bought it. Will be taking delivery next week. I figured if I like the stick shift, I'll like the DCT. MPE is heavenly. Now just gotta figure out what that button in the cup holder with the M Performance lanyard does as this one's better was dead. Lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      02-23-2019, 11:00 PM   #5
necoblitz
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Sapphire Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
Just went to test drive today. Didn't even drive the DCT version I was looking at as the one that had winter tires was stick shift. Drove it. Then bought it. Will be taking delivery next week. I figured if I like the stick shift, I'll like the DCT. MPE is heavenly. Now just gotta figure out what that button in the cup holder with the M Performance lanyard does as this one's better was dead. Lol.
You won't regret it. I just came from the FType V8S. Loved the Jag but the M2 is so much more fun to drive, more of a driver's car. Besides the amazing exhaust on the V8 Jag I surprisingly don't miss the FType

Regarding the MPE controller (which sucks), the battery might not be dead. You need to press the button then give two or three quick presses to activate.
Appreciate 1
ksa1047.00
      02-24-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by necoblitz View Post
You won't regret it. I just came from the FType V8S. Loved the Jag but the M2 is so much more fun to drive, more of a driver's car. Besides the amazing exhaust on the V8 Jag I surprisingly don't miss the FType

Regarding the MPE controller (which sucks), the battery might not be dead. You need to press the button then give two or three quick presses to activate.
I tried pressing the button quite a bit and it didn't do anything. The car I test drove blinked red light after I pressed the button twice.

Do you guys know if the flaps open when you put the car in sport mode at all? Or is using that bluetooth button the only way to open the flaps? The one I test drove was in sports mode and I assumed the flaps were open but now I am thinking may be they weren't cause I never used that button before driving that one out.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 09:27 PM   #7
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

On thw mpe bluetooth controller, you have to press it twice, in succession, ot will wait a sec, the light will blink red amd then blink again ever so often every few seconds, that is when its on

To turn off, press twice again, and then it will light up red and fade out slowly, now its off

Prrssing the buttons puts into sport and sport+ will change the engine response and more burbles

If you have mpe then just pressing the sport buttpn alone will not open tbe flaps, its only auto controlled like that with stock exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #8
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Thank you for the clarification, I will try it out when I get the car next week. Told the sales guy to replace the battery in the controller because it wasn't flashing anything at all when pressed.

So from what I understand, i could drive the car with the flaps open so it's louder even in comfort mode cause it sounds like it's independent of the car's modes, correct?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 10:21 PM   #9
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So from what I understand, i could drive the car with the flaps open so it's louder even in comfort mode cause it sounds like it's independent of the car's modes, correct?
Thats what i do!
Appreciate 1
ksa1047.00
      02-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #10
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks, I look forward to getting it. It's funny, I was looking at the i8, M4 and F Type S and ended up with a M2. I switch cars often (6th BMW in 4 years) so I figured I could easily do a year with the M2...can't be that bad if it gets such awesome reviews. So hopefully it'll keep me entertained and I hope that exhaust works cause I read a lot of posts with people having issues with theirs.

Thanks for all the help and I will post if I have any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:35 PM   #11
necoblitz
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Sapphire Metal

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification, I will try it out when I get the car next week. Told the sales guy to replace the battery in the controller because it wasn't flashing anything at all when pressed.

Correct, gives you several options.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #12
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Thats what i do!
So got the car yesterday and the exhaust works great.

As a matter of getting used to, I feel like I am already turning the flaps open as soon as I get in the car lol.

Do you guys remember to turn it off as well after reaching your destinations or does it do so automatically? Or does it stay open the entire time then?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #13
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Quote:
So got the car yesterday and the exhaust works great.

As a matter of getting used to, I feel like I am already turning the flaps open as soon as I get in the car lol.

Do you guys remember to turn it off as well after reaching your destinations or does it do so automatically? Or does it stay open the entire time then?
The exhaust flaps will close automatically when you switch the engine off. You'll have to open them next time you get in the car.

Tip: For extra startup roar, press the ignition button once without your foot on the brake, open the flaps, then start the engine.
Appreciate 1
ksa1047.00
      03-12-2019, 10:09 PM   #14
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Yup! I figured that fairly fast, lol.

I also put it in sport mode before turning it on. I noticed when driving with flap open in comfort mode there are no burbles and farts but when you drive in sport mode with flap open you do hear some residual farts and burbles when you lift your foot off the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:21 AM   #15
Nitromkv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Supra A91 MT, 23 Braptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by necoblitz View Post

I currently have a V6S AWD, would you do the switch again? is the M2 that much better overall, this would be a daily drive in Florida so mainly straight line and Highway.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 11:02 AM   #16
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillipberk View Post
I currently have a V6S AWD, would you do the switch again? is the M2 that much better overall, this would be a daily drive in Florida so mainly straight line and Highway.
Get m3/4 for hwy
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 08:28 AM   #17
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillipberk View Post
I am in the same situation - I am looking at different options because my F80 lease is up in a few months...I was pretty sure I was going to get the M2C but wasn't blown away by a recent test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Get m3/4 for hwy
The F80 is certainly good at this type of driving, but I wouldn't say that it's a specific attribute that I considered. I would think the F type would be better at this sort of thing? More of a great sounding, sporty GT car rather than a true sports car.

One of my neighbors just got an F type R and I have been staring at it nonstop for a couple of weeks. I hadn't really considered it before, but I think I might try and drive one soon. The looks and sound are awesome...
      10-30-2019, 01:53 PM   #18
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I am in the same situation - I am looking at different options because my F80 lease is up in a few months...I was pretty sure I was going to get the M2C but wasn't blown away by a recent test drive.

The F80 is certainly good at this type of driving, but I wouldn't say that it's a specific attribute that I considered. I would think the F type would be better at this sort of thing? More of a great sounding, sporty GT car rather than a true sports car.

One of my neighbors just got an F type R and I have been staring at it nonstop for a couple of weeks. I hadn't really considered it before, but I think I might try and drive one soon. The looks and sound are awesome...
i have a og m2 and my buddy has the base v6 f type. In the canyons my cars faster in the straights and twisties and overall more agile.

the F type has more presence on the road and he gets more compliaments...and get more people that tell him they wish they can afford his car some day type of statements.

most people cant tell the difference between the $120k v8 f type and the $65k v6 f type. Most people that come up to him think his base is a $120k car.

but i would say the one to get is f type v6 S in manual.

not that important but there some huge panel gaps on the f type..it's something you cant unsee if your use to the tight assembly of a BMW, mercedes or audi.
Appreciate 3
dmboone254970.50
Moflow2484.50
VisualEcho6625.50