BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > ☛ MHD Flasher F Series (F87) discussion ☚

01-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #45
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2 & '07 BSM 335i

Hi, I'm new to the concept of tuning in general and wondering if you can answer some questions for me. I'd definitely look hard at MHD based on the history on the e90 platform.

1.) How are updates to the tunes (or the app) handled and are users automatically entitled to them? Will they download automatically once available or do they need to be emailed or transferred in some other manual way? How frequently are updates available typically and are they normally feature updates or tune updates?

2.) Does the Stage 2 include Stage 1? I have a FabSpeed dp on the way.
Looks like it doesn't, and it looks like it may not be useful anyway, but I was just curious if I'd get to dink around with it.

3.) Can the cold start be toggled off or on?

4.) According to the FAQ, the app is locked to VIN *and* google account. I have no idea how competitors handle this but it seems a bit...controlling. If I sell the car, do the app (and tunes, and logging module) just evaporate? I could see them sticking with the VIN, or sticking to my account so I can transfer to my next ride (or "trade in" for a discount on the next?) but making it effectively useless seems needlessly restrictive. Just curious on the thinking, and confirming I have it right.

Thanks, sorry if these are dumb questions. And feel free to respond offline via PM if not appropriate for this thread.

Last edited by CantComplain; 01-15-2018 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: added #3; removed quoted OP
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 12:18 PM   #46
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

This is really cool and exciting!!!!
I am looking forward to seeing a very nice, fully vetted package (Stage 4????) that compliments my FBO's, hopefully including:

larger turbo
upgraded HPFP & LPFP

All of the options you are including seem awesome though. My OTS tune leaves a lot to be desired, but it does work well.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #47
MHD Tuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Germany
Rep

Drives: M3F80#M5F90#340iF31#SupraA90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantComplain View Post
Hi, I'm new to the concept of tuning in general and wondering if you can answer some questions for me. I'd definitely look hard at MHD based on the history on the e90 platform.

1.) How are updates to the tunes (or the app) handled and are users automatically entitled to them? Will they download automatically once available or do they need to be emailed or transferred in some other manual way? How frequently are updates available typically and are they normally feature updates or tune updates?

2.) Does the Stage 2 include Stage 1? I have a FabSpeed dp on the way.
Looks like it doesn't, and it looks like it may not be useful anyway, but I was just curious if I'd get to dink around with it.

3.) Can the cold start be toggled off or on?

4.) According to the FAQ, the app is locked to VIN *and* google account. I have no idea how competitors handle this but it seems a bit...controlling. If I sell the car, do the app (and tunes, and logging module) just evaporate? I could see them sticking with the VIN, or sticking to my account so I can transfer to my next ride (or "trade in" for a discount on the next?) but making it effectively useless seems needlessly restrictive. Just curious on the thinking, and confirming I have it right.

Thanks, sorry if these are dumb questions. And feel free to respond offline via PM if not appropriate for this thread.
1. When you get a map pack (like stage 2), you can reflash at will at no cost, including map updates. Those are available when the app is updated (which is automatic through google play). We update maps as needed, typically 2-3 times a year.
2. No stage 2 does not encompass stage 1. But anyways, we won't do a stage 1 for the m2. Stage don't mean much. In its OEM form, the m2 is pushing a good amount of power for the stock fmic / cats. So we prefer to recommend upgrading some parts and stick with the stage 2 denomination for the first level map.
3. It will.
4. Yes you got it right. You have to compare what you get, future updates, with the pricepoint / flexibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
This is really cool and exciting!!!!
I am looking forward to seeing a very nice, fully vetted package (Stage 4????) that compliments my FBO's, hopefully including:

larger turbo
upgraded HPFP & LPFP

All of the options you are including seem awesome though. My OTS tune leaves a lot to be desired, but it does work well.
What are you currently running?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #48
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Hex tune, and I am very happy with it for an OTS tune. I just like what you guys are doing, lots of options and features. Honestly, I would wait until my warranty expires before I really dive and do larger turbo / HPFP / etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 07:44 PM   #49
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke1972 View Post
I actually had the Hex tune and tried but canceled due to upcoming MHD flash. I honestly think their price point is a lot higher considering they are twice the price with no options like mhd offers. Plus I had mhd on my 135i and loved it...
Looking forward I would like to upgrade the hpfp and possibly the pure stage 2 turbo upgrade...
I hear what you're saying, and if it was 10 years ago, I'd do the same as you.
But, I have young kids, and no time to fiddle with the car anymore. When I drive it, I want to enjoy it, and the stage 2 hex tune makes that happen. I've been a VF customer since my vortech e36 M3 days, and never had any issues.

But, I don't want to take away from this thread or what MHD is doing. I love it, and most likely will go this route in years to come.
Appreciate 3
      01-16-2018, 10:36 AM   #50
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHD Tuning View Post
3. It will.
Can you delete cold start as part of the initial OBD flash unlock/Stg 0 ?

Im keen to quieten my mped M2 asap ahead of me upgrading DP etc before flashing to MHD stg2+
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 02:15 AM   #51
cookiesowns
;)
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, 535i N54, X3 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post

Im keen to quieten my mped M2 asap ahead of me upgrading DP etc before flashing to MHD stg2+
If your bin file is the same as mine, I can get you a delete cold start + "decat" tune.
      01-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #52
MHD Tuning
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post

Not yet but that will be added as flash option (available whatever the map you flash).
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1235.50

01-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #53
MHD Tuning
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I can honestly say being a beta tester for the MHD F-Series the car is super smooth. Don't get me wrong the Hex tune was very good as well but it seems the cars shifts a lot better with the mhd tune. Keep up the good work guys!!!
Nice, please send logs if you haven't already.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #54
Steveo
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M4

Have a question on this great sounding product.
If I choose to put the stock tune back on, will it put the same version/level of stock tune back on that was originally on the car when shipped or is it a certain level of stock tune that is used for all cars?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 07:06 PM   #55
djacts
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I just ordered the hex stage 2 and got fmic, charge pipe, turbo side charge pipe, dv+ valve, k&n air filter, fabspeed downpipe and MPE installed. haven't flashed the car yet. really curious to see how this tune comes along. just want the most out of my car. subd for updates. if the results are that much better I'll be a customer.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 07:31 PM   #56
DrAnzo2.0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacts View Post
I just ordered the hex stage 2 and got fmic, charge pipe, turbo side charge pipe, dv+ valve, k&n air filter, fabspeed downpipe and MPE installed. haven't flashed the car yet. really curious to see how this tune comes along. just want the most out of my car. subd for updates. if the results are that much better I'll be a customer.
I think youll be happy with your setup. Im waiting to install my ER chargepipe and CSF intercooler... but the rest of my setup is similar to yours and the stage 2 hex tune rips.
Appreciate 2
djacts48.50
///cbrash220.50

02-16-2018, 12:11 AM   #57
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hi MHD-

Just wondering if there's an update on GA for the F87 OBD tune?

Quote:
We will start a closed beta period from 1-1-2018. Users willing to actively participate and provide datalogs can drop us an email right now. You can get $5.99 off a bimmergeek cable with the oupon "MHD".

Expected closed beta period is 4-6 weeks, after which we will go public.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 03:06 AM   #58
MHD Tuning
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
If I choose to put the stock tune back on, will it put the same version/level of stock tune back on that was originally on the car when shipped or is it a certain level of stock tune that is used for all cars?

Thanks
We use a fixed DME rom version for tuning and flashing back to stock. We may add later the possibility to use a different version when flashing back to stock.

Quote:
Hi MHD-
GA?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 03:07 AM   #59
MHD Tuning
Germany
Rep

App update 0.97b

The update adds 2 features:
  • check for several required conditions for flashing like engine off, ignition on etc in order to minimize user errors. For instance here ignition was not on:

• expose the most useful adaptation resets (which one should only you for troubleshooting)

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 12:58 PM   #60
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

Thanks
We use a fixed DME rom version for tuning and flashing back to stock. We may add later the possibility to use a different version when flashing back to stock.

Quote:
Hi MHD-
GA?
He means go ahead. When's the public release for M2 specific maps?
      02-17-2018, 12:27 AM   #61
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Did you log the dyno runs?
      02-17-2018, 03:39 AM   #62
Leonidm2
Private
Rep
Drives: bmwm2

Quote:
I finally had a chance to get a dyno on MHD's Map2 and coming from the HEX Tune it is no where close. Even compared to BM3 this flash is really down on Torque. The tune is super smooth but the overall power numbers are not there.. Depending on how MHD's Map 2+ runs I may switch back to the HEX to BM3 tune..
Red is Stock and Blue and Green are MHD Map2. My mods are Drop in Filter, CP, High Flow Cat, Wagner Competition Intercooler..
Hi, your Map 2+, for what fuel?91oct or 93?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #63
velociti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Of course I logged the runs.. Very conservative timing and maxed out just over 15 psi..
That...doesn't look right. On the E-series side, their N55 tune has notably more torque down low but not much more additional power up top, so conservative overall. The fact that there is no additional torque on this tune makes me think something's up. Maybe worth an email/message to Martial...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 11:06 PM   #64
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCirci View Post
He means go ahead. When's the public release for M2 specific maps?

General Availability. I guess it's a software thing. But yes, looking for the release date.
+ MHD Tuning
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #65
Daleb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Has anyone logged the 93 octane stage 2+ map yet on their M2? Would be cool to compare it to BM3s stage 2 93 octane ots map.

Also has the flash counter freeze been implemented yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #66
GreatWhiteM2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
Also one of the other tune groups stated on the forum that you are able to flash the tune to the DME......but to flash back to stock the DME must be removed.

Is that still the case?
Nope no need to remove the DME to flash back to stock (or reinstall MHD).

Quote:
Any dyno's for the N55?
We'll do that in January. Dynojet are more rare here. I can state our M135i AT was doing a corrected 8.3 to 8.5s 100-200kmh on the 2+ 95oct/102ron map with just DP FMIC. We'll get corrected 100-200 times on the M2 and dynos in January.
Any updates on these 100-200 runs for the M2?

Sorry if its posted elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
Tricki163.00