BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Downpipe Install?

01-04-2019, 04:06 PM   #243
Altra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

I originally used ramps, but it wasn't tall enough, ended up jacking up passenger side a bit higher to get some more working space.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 11:28 PM   #244
boostaddict305
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***********305 View Post
I did mine myself it's a pretty easy install as long as you have a lift at your disposal
I did mine on the ground just fine so a lift isn't necessary. Not even sure a lift would have been easier. I just lifted the front and it didn't have to be that high.
It's not necessary but I think it definitely made things easier
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 05:09 PM   #245
ronin1k
Rep

Just finished installing Wagner catted downpipe, the fit and finish of this dp is remarkable, I have had zero issue with removing and fitting back the clamps on either side of the dp, so all in all this is an easy job when using quickjack
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 09:57 PM   #246
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have a lift and my car is the m235i but it's virtually the same installation job. It was super easy. Removing the seized v-bands was probably the trickiest part. The rest was super easy. Actually the tricky part was undoing the two clamps that keep the o2 sensor cables in place. Getting the cables out of them was tricky and getting them back in was trickier since you have to do it by feel. (and don't finish without getting them clipped in there because those keep your cables from being able to move and touch the exhaust and melt.)
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2021, 10:06 PM   #247
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 BASE

People who install fab speed sport cat, you guys reused the old v band clamps with bolts came with oem? Bought mine used without hardware.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 03:04 PM   #248
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2RAW View Post
People who install fab speed sport cat, you guys reused the old v band clamps with bolts came with oem? Bought mine used without hardware.

Thanks in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2RAW View Post

Thanks in advance
I would recommend getting new. I believe the v band clamps are stretch bolts and my end up leading to a leak down the road
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 04:34 PM   #249
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkies View Post
I would recommend getting new. I believe the v band clamps are stretch bolts and my end up leading to a leak down the road
Much easier using a new one.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 08:29 PM   #250
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
He was having some issues after install guess he used the old ones.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 08:40 PM   #251
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Can one use a heat gun? I don’t have a torch.

Do we need the claws foot for the removal of the O2 sensors? Socket or an open wrench won’t do this? What size should I get fir this or are they all the same size?

What makes re-fitting the old v-bands tougher? Spraying boot loosening fluid like WD40 doesn’t help?

Finally. Which sound is the turbo spooling sound? At around rpm is that evident?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 12:57 PM   #252
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I didn't need a heat gun or torch to get the O2 off. I bought a O2 socket off Amazon and had 0 issues.

If you're having issues with the O2 and bolts you could try spraying with a penetrating fluid like PB blaster and letting it sit for a few hours.

The best way to relate the turbo spool sound is the whirling/whistling sound you hear when large diesel trucks take off. I hear mine starting around 1.5-2K RPM then the exhaust drowns out the sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 06:49 PM   #253
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Thanks. I’ll try to get that o2 socket. It’s a 22mm correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 08:59 AM   #254
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Crescent wrench worked fine for me. Once the assembly is out of the vehicle the removal is a snap.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 04:46 AM   #255
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Finally got my AA DP. Looks good. I almost don't want to have it installed under where no one would see.

No CEL guarantee. I didn't know there are 2 brackets that I need to mount this unto.

I expected (no basis) the holes on the CAT to be bigger though. Will install this weekend.

2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS

Last edited by vrooooom; 07-29-2021 at 05:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2021, 06:34 AM   #256
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

The hardest part of this seems to be the removal of the TOP v-clamp. Is this an easier access from the wheel-well at all? I seem to remember some's video ....but I may just be confused.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 08:41 AM   #257
M2Pilot
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
The hardest part of this seems to be the removal of the TOP v-clamp. Is this an easier access from the wheel-well at all? I seem to remember some's video ....but I may just be confused.
I just installed mine and removal was no issue. I used the old clamps with a new gasket where it meets to the turbo. The trickiest part for me was mating the DP to the turbo and getting the top clamp lined up correctly.

Having a lift speeds things up considerably.
      07-31-2021, 02:33 AM   #258
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

If one somehow interchanged the 2 sensors, what would happen? CEL?

How do you guys know there’s no leak? I’ve reused all gaskets coz the local dealers don’t even have them in stocks. The hardest part was putting the top clamp while making sure all the brackets are also in the right place.

Took me 3 hrs with someone helping to hand me tools on 2 jack stands in front.

Last edited by vrooooom; 07-31-2021 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:12 AM   #259
M2Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 DCT, 22 X5 40i

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
If one somehow interchanged the 2 sensors, what would happen? CEL?

How do you guys know there’s no leak? I’ve reused all gaskets coz the local dealers don’t even have them in stocks. The hardest part was putting the top clamp while making sure all the brackets are also in the right place.

Took me 3 hrs with someone helping to hand me tools on 2 jack stands in front.
I'm looking at the AA as well for my 18M2. How is the 3 month drivability / CEL report?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 11:04 AM   #260
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've been running my AA for over a year and a half with no issues or CEL
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 11:56 AM   #261
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

So far no issues. Not expecting one either.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 05:27 PM   #262
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

Hey All-

Just wanted to update my past post. I had a major bad time putting in the Fabspeed catted dp. 4-5 years later I reverted to OEM, and it was easy peasy. It did take me a full 2-3 hours but it was basically doing it again for the first time. I went slow, and took a lot of breaks because I was basically doing a crunch the whole time. And I got up a few times to watch a youtube that showed how the original brackets were set up.

Was I that much better 4 years later? No, but the "trick" to this job is basically getting it loosely bolted into place with the brackets and connection to the exhaust. Then it's just sitting in space in roughly the right place and it makes getting the top collar aligned soooo much easier. Less than 3 hours including the quickjack setup, belly pan, and actually an oil change since I was in the neighborhood.

And the good news for me is I have a catted downpipe and a tune to list for sale. And a 2017 6MT....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantComplain View Post
Nice work and good advice all the way around. I did mine a couple weeks ago and although I'm a DIY guy by nature (I have an R56 cylinder head fresh from the machine shop on my kitchen counter at the moment) I would not do this again. It seriously kicked my ass and I was contemplating towing it to a decent mechanic to bail me out.

My advice for future amateur mechanics:
It was the top flange that did me in. I started with ramps, then ended up jacking the car up from there to give me some extra room. Ultimately I had my wife hanging on to the O2 sensor wire from above to keep it in roughly the right spot while I finagled it in the clamp. Then it took 5 minutes to line it up and get the clamp on it. I just couldn't hold it in the right place and get my hands on the clamp due to the tight space. I understand my cautionary tale is the exception from what I've read here but there have been some other stories and pleas for help so I'd make sure that you knew what you were up against if you were thinking about this yourself. Took me 4 hours with all the trouble, and I now doubt the integrity of the top gasket because I was mashing the downpipe up there. Hopefully the material isn't asbestos either because it was raining down on me....

Yes, the next time would be easier. Ramps are not sufficient IMO. I'm a decent-sized guy and it just wasn't enough room. And the space is really tight to begin with.

TLDR; it's hard but worth it. if you're $300 ahead in life, find a guy.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 05:40 PM   #263
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

I recently took a catless downpipe off and put the original catted downpipe back in. (Former owner installed catless, and it was too obnoxious for me.) Learned a lot of useful tips in this thread. Definitely fiddly, but taking my time it was a fairly straight forward 3 hour job.

The top clamp is definitely the tricky part of this job. Old one came out easy, but it was a bit of work to get the new clamp lined up correctly. Having the stock cat mounting brackets helped a lot. Kept the pipe in the correct place while trying to get the clamp aligned. The catless pipe I pulled out didn't have any supports. I imagine it would be a lot harder to align the clamp while trying to hold the pipe in place.

Getting the top clamp tight is another issue. I suspect using a new clamp makes this harder, as I think the C profile expands a bit as it's tightened around the turbo and pipe lips. Reusing the clamp would make that easier.

I also thought about getting a longer bolt to try pulling the ends together. You can't do it with your bare hand, and it's hard to get pliers in there to squeeze the ends together. But, if you had an assortment of longer bolts you could reach between the ends, and tighten with a wrench. Use the bolt that came with the clamp once you get the ends close enough. For temp tightening, any cheap bolt with the right pitch work.

Almost went to the hardware store to find some longer bolts. But I tried getting my biggest channel-lock pliers in there one more time, and a few mad-at-it squeezes finally got the ends together enough to get the bolt in. Easy to tighten from there, if you have fine tooth ratchet.

I did use a new bottom clamp also. Worth it to me just to not have to pry off the old copper seal, de-mangle it, and re-fit it onto the new pipe. New clamp pops right on, a few turns to set the seal, and then the exhaust pops right in. Wrench it down, and it's done.

Last edited by ggggbmw; 12-26-2023 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0