BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > [Updated w/ Q&A] BMW M2 M Performance Parts announced. World debut comes at Detroit

11-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #67
kerrsy44
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M

BMW is just knocking it out of the park with their steering wheels these days?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #68
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Absolutely. Between my 2 other friends with E92 M3's, we've all at one point bought a replica CF spoiler. Mine straight up didn't fit (was 5mm high on the sides) and had to be returned, while the other 2 have warped and no longer fit, as well as turned yellow and the finish is chipping.

I went with an OEM M-Performance spoiler after returning the aftermarket one and it has been on for a good 2 years now with 0 issues. I'll definitely be going all M-Performance aero in the future.
Yep, I've had the BMW lip on my 1M for 4 years now and it looks as good as the day I got it. I also used the 3M tape instead of that glue and it is still holding strong!
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #69
stren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Because these "sporty" options aren't for everyone. Have you guys actually heard the M-performance exhausts? They are pretty damn loud for something that is OEM if you ask me. And what about coilovers? You can't possibly say that an adjustable coilover is something that absolutely everyone would want (lower the ride height and make the car stiffer).

And then comes the cost. The M4 I drove had an M-Performance exhaust with CF tips. $4900

I'm all about choices. You pick and chose which options and accessories you want. Keep the car price low if you want, or load $30k worth of stuff on it. This is even more important on a starter M car like the M2.
And I agree with that for some of the more expensive options like the exhaust and some of the larger carbon fiber pieces. But the steering wheel? How is that much more expensive than the standard one? It's not like it has the rpm/shift indicators on there. It's only a lot more expensive as an option if you have to buy the car, toss out the old and then upgrade. Why not include it from the start and give the car more of the "unique" to the M2 feeling that people have been complaining about wrt seats/mirrors.

What about the suspension? Is the MPerf version going to be significantly harder or lower such that plenty of people apart from track nuts would avoid it? Shouldn't that be how a M2 is from the start - orientated for the track and tolerable for the road lol?

I dunno maybe I'm just being a b and whining about how you can easily end up adding the cost of a 320 in options to some of the cars in order to make it what maybe it should have been in the first place. Just being bitter
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #70
Inuyasha
“One finds limits by pushing them”
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
They're actually adjustable coilovers (assuming it's the same as the M4)
Do you know if the adjustments can be controlled from the center console? Or is it external adjustment. I'm not familiar with the new tech.

I guess this is why they did not offer adaptive suspension as an option. They would like you to purchase this feature. How much does it usually run? Can it be adjusted to set real soft for bumpy roads?

I live in NYC and having the car run smoother over bumps here is huge... for my back.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #71
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust350z
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Why doesn't the M2 get a front lip? I also wish it got full side things and not those little wings...but I will hold off judgment until I see the wings on a full picture of the car.
+1 on the front lip question.

Also why no air intake CF bits.
M6 doesn't have an M-performance lip front spoiler either. Are we going to go down that road like the mirrors again? Lol please noooo

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #72
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
M6 doesn't have an M-performance lip front spoiler either. Are we going to go down that road like the mirrors again? Lol please noooo
+1 again.

As it has been pointed out several times, there is no such thing as ///M mirrors.

Other M cars have gotten bespoke mirrors, but there isn't one mirror that's shared by all of them...
      11-03-2015, 01:00 PM   #73
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
At least 20 years modding, many nissans, infiniti's, every iteration of m3 since e36, 3 335's as well. I've done it all, purist oem performance stuff to the sh**********s CF pieces to Arkym pieces. I will never give another dollar to vorsteiner, Arkym, varis, mode carbon or any other "high end" company killing us with BMW taxes. It's not worth it, most figment on lips and spoilers is spot on or a tiny bit off that can be manipulated. I've seen some of the worst fitment on DD stuff and all the fanboys on here sweat them like LTBMW. The copies are getting good and if they break, oh well new eBay lip. Most folks on here don't do installs on their cars, if you do, you should be able to make something fit unless the mold was very off. Now wheels is something you should cheap on, tires as well but other things are definitely negotiable.
Ok, I don't quite have 20 years of experience but I do know how to install a spoiler with 3M tape. Like I said, the one I had was sitting high on both sides of the trunk by 5-10mm. It just straight up didn't fit the contour of the trunk, I wish I still had pictures I had to send to them to show that it didn't fit.

So far, I've bought about 5 CF/aero stuff from knock off site and I'm 1 for 5. And the one that I'm counting as "good" is the lip spoiler on my E36, which is too wide for the trunk but I didn't care since it was $65 bucks shipped from China and painted (pretty good match to Techno Violet actually).

I'm not one of those that is completely OCD with their cars, because they are meant to be driven anyway. But I just got so sick of parts not fitting right no matter what you did to the point where I'll bite the bullet and just get OEM parts. Glad BMW is offering them as an option at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stren View Post
And I agree with that for some of the more expensive options like the exhaust and some of the larger carbon fiber pieces. But the steering wheel? How is that much more expensive than the standard one? It's not like it has the rpm/shift indicators on there. It's only a lot more expensive as an option if you have to buy the car, toss out the old and then upgrade. Why not include it from the start and give the car more of the "unique" to the M2 feeling that people have been complaining about wrt seats/mirrors.

What about the suspension? Is the MPerf version going to be significantly harder or lower such that plenty of people apart from track nuts would avoid it? Shouldn't that be how a M2 is from the start - orientated for the track and tolerable for the road lol?

I dunno maybe I'm just being a b and whining about how you can easily end up adding the cost of a 320 in options to some of the cars in order to make it what maybe it should have been in the first place. Just being bitter
I see where you are coming from, definitely. But like I said, I'd rather they include almost nothing with the cars so that the base price is as low as possible personally. That includes the steering wheel. While they are at it, give me cloth seats, manual seats and 18" wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAgent View Post
Do you know if the adjustments can be controlled from the center console? Or is it external adjustment. I'm not familiar with the new tech.

I guess this is why they did not offer adaptive suspension as an option. They would like you to purchase this feature. How much does it usually run? Can it be adjusted to set real soft for bumpy roads?

I live in NYC and having the car run smoother over bumps here is huge... for my back.
I unfortunately have no info on them, just read it in the M4 thread. I'm sure more will be unveiled in the next couple of days.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 01:09 PM   #74
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

The M2 is looking better and better every day. Loving the wheel and diffuser. Alpine white with lbb calipers to match the lbb stitching would be with these mperformance parts.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #75
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Spoiler is cool. Everything else is alright.
      11-03-2015, 01:56 PM   #76
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Originally Posted by stren View Post
Am I the only one bugged that before the car is launched there are already a bunch of pricey upgrades to it? I know this has been the trend for a while and it makes more sense to offer sporty upgrades to the non-m cars, but if these are for performance and the M2 is for performance, why aren't they the default parts? I get that some would add cost (like large pieces of CF), but others really wouldn't. Just feels like another exercise in squeezing more money out of the buyer and that really turns me off and reduces my brand loyalty...
Because these "sporty" options aren't for everyone. Have you guys actually heard the M-performance exhausts? They are pretty damn loud for something that is OEM if you ask me. And what about coilovers? You can't possibly say that an adjustable coilover is something that absolutely everyone would want (lower the ride height and make the car stiffer).

And then comes the cost. The M4 I drove had an M-Performance exhaust with CF tips. $4900

I'm all about choices. You pick and chose which options and accessories you want. Keep the car price low if you want, or load $30k worth of stuff on it. This is even more important on a starter M car like the M2.
I agree that it makes little sense to make these parts standard on an M2. But it sure would be nice to be able to choose them as a factory option rather than port install...the cost could be much lower. I would be much more likely to go for M Performance exhaust and coil overs if they were merely $1k-2k factory options, rather than $5k after the car is built.
      11-03-2015, 03:28 PM   #77
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Updated with live photos from SEMA 2015 of the BMW M2 M Performance Parts:

We bring you live photos from SEMA 2015 of the BMW M2 M Performance Parts. The parts are being displayed apart from the M2 (which is not here) because the car has yet to receive its public debut, which will come at the Detroit Auto Show in January.

We're putting together our Q&A / FAQ on the M2 M Performance Parts, so we'll have lots of great details and info to post very soon.

For now, you can see the parts on display and we can also tell you that the M Performance suspension is a full coilover, 2-way adjustable (rebound and damping), with height adjustability from -5mm to -25mm. You'll also notice that the front bumper will receive M Performance Winglets (as seen in the video presentation screenshots). You also see the M Performance Steering Wheel fitted in the M4 interior, which is the same one that the M2 will receive. The exhaust is stainless steel construction. Again, we'll have much more details posted soon.

BMW M2 M Performance Parts revealed at SEMA 2015

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 3
      11-03-2015, 03:36 PM   #78
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
^^^This thing is going to look great in AW with some black or CF trim...
      11-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #79
TheNeonTiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Do they only have a dark carbon fiber?!?! So If I get the steering wheel only, it won't match the other CF in the car? If thats the case, this part strategy is totally bogus.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #80
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

I only just noticed the 'M Performance' designation on these parts yesterday. Not too long ago, peeps complain about the number of ///M badges in M Performance/non-M cars like M235. Now we have M Performance parts/designation in M cars?? I'm most confused. aren't M Performance range of cars/parts meant to slot in between the M and non-M cars? Are M Performance designation/parts also found in M3/4?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #81
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M235i View Post
I only just noticed the 'M Performance' designation on these parts yesterday. Not too long ago, peeps complain about the number of ///M badges in M Performance/non-M cars like M235. Now we have M Performance parts/designation in M cars?? I'm most confused. aren't M Performance range meant to slot in between the M and non-M cars? Are M Performance designation/parts also found in M3/4?
Yes, it's been that way since the E9x generation. For example, both the regular E9x 3 series and the E9x M3 had M Performance Exhaust, M Performance Splitters, etc.

They're all part of a suite of products called "M Performance Parts" which offers parts for both M and non-M models.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 03:57 PM   #82
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Yes, it's been that way since the E9x generation. For example, both the regular E9x 3 series and the E9x M3 had M Performance Exhaust, M Performance Splitters, etc.

They're all part of a suite of products called "M Performance Parts" which offers parts for both M and non-M models.
Thanks Jason. Yes, I understand this but I do not recall the plastering of 'M Performance' designation on these M cars. It was always badged ///M on M cars IIRC. I do not have ///M badge or brand ego but just feeling bemused with BMW marketing, especially when there is now an M Performance range of cars like M135 M235. At end of day, no biggie.

Last edited by david.orr; 11-03-2015 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #83
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

Awesome! Adjustable coils

What's that little silver button thing that the man is holding?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 04:26 PM   #84
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

1. That Steering wheel is dope.
  2. I want those orange calipers
  3. I want the M Performance Exhaust
  4. I'm still undecided about the AW vs LBB
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #85
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

What's this thing?

A deer whistle for the grille?

'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #86
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Finally. Full car in AW. Thank you, even if it is a picture on a monitor!
      11-03-2015, 04:53 PM   #87
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA View Post
Awesome! Adjustable coils

What's that little silver button thing that the man is holding?
That's an exhaust valve activation button from a MINI. Took a photo as an example because the M2 M Performance exhaust will also be controlled by a similar looking button.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2015, 04:56 PM   #88
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

So M Performance Brakes too.
I guess they are also available for the M235i.
The steering wheel is awesome.
All these parts are somehow the equivalent of the Sport Chrono Pack available for P Cars. So no more questions about why this and that is not standard.
Appreciate 0