BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > 360PS X4 M40i leaked - M2 engine specs I guess?

09-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #23
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
It's not about horsepower at all, you are not getting what we are saying, it's about engine feel and character.

I wouldn't mind a detuned S55 with the same 370 hp, I want an engine that has character, builds revs fast and doesn't run out of steam in the higher RPM ranges, also it needs to rev to at least 7500 rpm. I can't justify an N55 M2 because a) I already have an M235 and b) the M3 exists and to me seems like a better value than an N55 M2
If you want an engine with character that doesn't run out of breath at high RPM's, your solution is a high-revving N/A engine, sir.

No one here has ever, ever driven a yard in the M2 and yet y'all whining and acting like the engine is the most important part of the M2. This is no muscle car FFS.

The end. Go somewhere else to cry.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 07:32 PM   #24
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Yeah well unfortunately BMW no longer makes high revving NA engines, Porsche will follow suit now with the 911 and very soon with the cayman and boxter.

No one is crying, we are just discussing our options, for me if I had the money I'd be all over the Cayman GT4
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #25
NiceGuyEddie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn
It's really the same story over and over again. M3 with a turbo - outrage! M versions of X5 and X6 - outrage! 10 cylinder M5 - outrage! 8 cylinders in M5 again, but with a turbo - outrage! When BMW announces an xdrive M car, it will be - you guessed it - outrage! all over again. And so on, ad infinitum.

BTW that 1M with the "excusable" engine is a collectible now.
True but think how more special and collectible it would have been with a bespoke engine.

The M2 with the N55 engine and higher production volume is not going to be a collectible. The 1M is because it was so rare.
Really? Have you ever driven one?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #26
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Yeah well unfortunately BMW no longer makes high revving NA engines, Porsche will follow suit now with the 911 and very soon with the cayman and boxter.
Don't you think there's a reason for that? Maybe the same one why sports cars no longer use V12 or V18 engines, leaf springs, and hand cranked starters?
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2015, 08:05 PM   #27
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Don't you think there's a reason for that? Maybe the same one why sports cars no longer use V12 or V18 engines, leaf springs, and hand cranked starters?
Not sure what you mean by this post. The death of high revving NA engines is due to EPA/environmental changes, nothing to do really with big advances in technology.
Appreciate 2
      09-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #28
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
Not sure what you mean by this post. The death of high revving NA engines is due to EPA/environmental changes, nothing to do really with big advances in technology.
So, if not for EPA, an engine that has the same - or more - power while consuming less fuel would be a bad thing?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 09:12 PM   #29
Zoli007
Professional lurker
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2016 MCB M3 sold =(

Quote:
So, if not for EPA, an engine that has the same - or more - power while consuming less fuel would be a bad thing?
Yes because the ideal spec is a 4 cylinder or perhaps even smaller. There is FAR more to enjoying a performance car like this than just pure numbers and efficiency. Sound, character and soul are important.

Look at F1, they went from screaming V8 engines which were dissapointing after the screaming V10's to pathetic sounding V6 turbos. Yes the current engines are incredible works of technological art. 700 HP out of 1.6l is beyond insane, and coupled to another 160HP electric motor and able to do a race distance with only 100kg of fuel, again, crazy advanced. Guess what, saw them in person and they are boring as can be. They've killed the soul of what the sport was, a sound unlike any other in any kind of racing series.

So yes, just because its better and more efficient doesnt make it better. A CVT transmission is technically the best and most efficient, but again, maked driving boring as hell.
      09-26-2015, 10:54 PM   #30
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

Well if this is true I am disappointed. I agree with the comments made so far against this engine choice. I want an engine that begs to have its tits rung out. I understand BMW have moved away from NA but max power at 6000 rpm only!

So let's recap a little shall we:

- No Bespoke S engine
- No CF roof (not even as an option at least)
- 2 series seats. No proper M seats (not even as an option at least)
- Ordinary limited colours
- Not limited production

What character/Soul will this car have if any?

I've waited like many for this car but with all of the above I'm not too sure I want to fall to the hypnotic hype and initial limited numbers, no discount etc.

Seems like my original comments about this cooking up to be a half baked M car are looking right. For those feeling inclined to bash or send me off to F80 forums no need. No one more than me wanted this M2 as I was looking for an E46 replacement. And these of course are all my opinions.

I've waited this long now so hopefully reveal will come in Oct and I will wait till then before making my decision on M2 or M3
Appreciate 4
      09-26-2015, 11:25 PM   #31
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

All I have to say is that I am in favor of this N55 engine / no CF / standard seat strategy if it makes the price suitably low. What will NOT work is dealer markups and low production volumes driving the price up to M3/M4 levels. This car should not be rare. Why does anyone want it to be rare? So you can pay more for it? Who gives a shit about "classics" and collectors.

If you can walk into a BMW dealership and get a stripped M4 for the same price there is not a lot of case to build this car. Yes, it's smaller, but if they want the price to be almost as high it should have an S55.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2015, 01:08 AM   #32
135iDCT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I

the m2 at least should hit 7k rpm
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 01:12 AM   #33
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i

With all this activity and hype it should hit 10,000 rpm
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2015, 05:12 AM   #34
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iDCT
the m2 at least should hit 7k rpm
Let's hope but doesn't look good. The 1M was the same as the Z4 - 5,900. The X4 M40i is 6,000 so apply the same recipe to M2 :
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 05:40 AM   #35
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Do some of you get a 2010/2011 déjà-vu feeling upon reading some comments over here ?

Virtually all castles of criticism turned to dust in May 2011 as soon as experienced people pushed the start button on the "no real M car", drove the hell out of it, pushed the start button again to switch off the engine and gasped: "Oh boy, I got to substantially rewrite the article I had initially in mind".

Legislation influences choices and main ///M ingredients are not about car specs only. In the end it's about the driving experience. The miles with smiles, the chassis allowing you to handle daunting corners.

Get on board, drive it like you stole it, and let us know what you experienced. Afterwards we can check the specs again.

09-27-2015, 08:24 AM   #36
Gibson6594
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

I've said it before and I will say it again. I hope and suspect that the M2 will be without question the most thrilling driving experience that BMW (and probably other brands) has to offer. All other points and arguments beyond that can go bespoke themselves.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #37
SickFinga
Captain
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamowe View Post
We in germany speak at the moment of 272 KW / 370 PS for the upcoming M2. Several sources (quality, not AutoBild or something else..) say that.
Same engine, but more power in the M2, simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #38
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson6594 View Post
I've said it before and I will say it again. I hope and suspect that the M2 will be without question the most thrilling driving experience that BMW (and probably other brands) has to offer. All other points and arguments beyond that can go bespoke themselves.
Absolutely agreed. I wonder what will happen when the reviews of the M2 comes out and it turns out to be the best driving BMW in the range even with this non-S engine.

Let's face it, the NA engines are gone and have been for a couple of years now. As Chris Harris says, maybe these people just need to get over themselves.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #39
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82 View Post
Well if this is true I am disappointed. I agree with the comments made so far against this engine choice. I want an engine that begs to have its tits rung out. I understand BMW have moved away from NA but max power at 6000 rpm only!

So let's recap a little shall we:

- No Bespoke S engine
- No CF roof (not even as an option at least)
- 2 series seats. No proper M seats (not even as an option at least)
- Ordinary limited colours
- Not limited production

What character/Soul will this car have if any?

I've waited like many for this car but with all of the above I'm not too sure I want to fall to the hypnotic hype and initial limited numbers, no discount etc.

Seems like my original comments about this cooking up to be a half baked M car are looking right. For those feeling inclined to bash or send me off to F80 forums no need. No one more than me wanted this M2 as I was looking for an E46 replacement. And these of course are all my opinions.

I've waited this long now so hopefully reveal will come in Oct and I will wait till then before making my decision on M2 or M3
I know you and I hardly agree on anything, but it's going to be hilariously ironic if the M2 has the most soul out of any BMW currently made. Has no one learned anything about the 1M? That car has just as much soul as an E9x M3, which had one of the best engines BMW has ever made. You cannot say the same about the F80 IMHO. The fact that the 1M and M2 uses the same recipe bodes well.

This is coming from someone with an E92 M3 and someone considering the F80 as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 09:33 AM   #40
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson6594 View Post
And seize that opportunity if you can. Carpe diem !

"Relax ... I'm a professional". LOL.

09-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #41
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
The switch to turbos has more to do with being able to cheat the EPA mileage, because if you run the engine on boost, the mileage will drop.

Still, regarding your earlier point, the changes are environmentally driven by government mandates, not a leap in technology. I think a NA engine that can run 8-9,000 rpm would be more advanced than the current crop of t/c engines.

I'm not including all the add-in tech used for mpg improvements (start/stop, regen braking, hybrids, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #42
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
Still, regarding your earlier point, the changes are environmentally driven by government mandates, not a leap in technology. I think a NA engine that can run 8-9,000 rpm would be more advanced than the current crop of t/c engines.
Why? Would it produce more power? Would it have more torque? Would it have less weight? With the modern engines, the answers are 'no', 'no', and 'no'. What is left there that would trump these three things?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #43
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Why? Would it produce more power? Would it have more torque? Would it have less weight? With the modern engines, the answers are 'no', 'no', and 'no'. What is left there that would trump these three things?
They sound better.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #44
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn
It's really the same story over and over again. M3 with a turbo - outrage! M versions of X5 and X6 - outrage! 10 cylinder M5 - outrage! 8 cylinders in M5 again, but with a turbo - outrage! When BMW announces an xdrive M car, it will be - you guessed it - outrage! all over again. And so on, ad infinitum.

BTW that 1M with the "excusable" engine is a collectible now.
True but think how more special and collectible it would have been with a bespoke engine.

The M2 with the N55 engine and higher production volume is not going to be a collectible. The 1M is because it was so rare.
The car will not be a collectible no mater what motor is in it. It will depreciate like any other BMW after year 1.