BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > F1 2019: Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina (Dec 1)

12-02-2019, 09:46 AM   #111
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
Good point about the new regulations requiring two sensors, I completely forgot about that change.....oops
No problem . MAX will stay in Abu Dhabi this week to test the new 2020 tyres .
His Red Bull is testing the new tyres with a new type of sensor regarding the tyres temperatures under load .
The first tests will begin tomorrow...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 12:24 PM   #112
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58879.50
      12-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #113
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Wonder who's the shortest driver..I'll guess it's Perez.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 03:29 AM   #114
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
and Merc has one of the longest wheelbase design or the longest.. Red Bull has a shorter wheelbase, for agility on slow and mid speed corners.. its one of the biggest factors why they were slow in Brazil.. otherwise as the top speed Merc's were down again..
Merc with the longer wheelbase ok yet at Yas Marina the many slow/medium snaky corners were taken with aplomb by them.Doesn't add up.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #115
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
What people dont seem to understand, is that Ferrari breached a technical directive, not a sporting regulation. A technical directive is "a guidance, a procedure to help the FIA communicated with the teams as to how they are supposed to interpret the rules." Not following a technical directive doesn't mean you broke the rules.

Additionally, Ferrari were able to prove that the car had the same amount of fuel left over after the race as they had overfilled before the start. They did this by draining the tank after the race. As such, there was no advantage gained.
Actually it's the exact opposite of what you said. The technical directives are pretty cut and dry. They fall under the technical regulations of F1. The Sporting Directives are a bit more loose.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #116
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Actually it's the exact opposite of what you said. The technical directives are pretty cut and dry. They fall under the technical regulations of F1. The Sporting Directives are a bit more loose.
The FIA website publishes all the technical and sporting regulations (as well as any changes) throughout the year. These are the the rules that govern the sport. The technical directive isnt so much a rule as a guidance on how to interpret the rules and how to implement procedures to help the FIA govern the regulations. In many cases a technical directive can be just an explanation to clarify some of the grey areas in the regulations.

Honestly, I think that they all are cut and dry for the most part. It just comes down where the penalties are applied. Breaking the regulations is breaking the rules, so it makes sense that hefty penalties are applied (ex Renault being excluded from the Japanese GP for breaking the Sporting Regulations). The technical directives arent rules per se, so the penalties arent as serious (in this case, Ferrari's fine).

At least, that's my understanding of it it all. We all know that F1 can be lacking in consistency sometimes, so it's possible the levied penalties can be applies however they see fit. Either way, I got most of my information from the FIA website and the Sky Sports post race coverage so I don't necessarily feel its incorrect.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34171.50
M5Rick58879.50
      12-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #117
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
The FIA website publishes all the technical and sporting regulations (as well as any changes) throughout the year. These are the the rules that govern the sport. The technical directive isnt so much a rule as a guidance on how to interpret the rules and how to implement procedures to help the FIA govern the regulations. In many cases a technical directive can be just an explanation to clarify some of the grey areas in the regulations.

Honestly, I think that they all are cut and dry for the most part. It just comes down where the penalties are applied. Breaking the regulations is breaking the rules, so it makes sense that hefty penalties are applied (ex Renault being excluded from the Japanese GP for breaking the Sporting Regulations). The technical directives arent rules per se, so the penalties arent as serious (in this case, Ferrari's fine).

At least, that's my understanding of it it all. We all know that F1 can be lacking in consistency sometimes, so it's possible the levied penalties can be applies however they see fit. Either way, I got most of my information from the FIA website and the Sky Sports post race coverage so I don't necessarily feel its incorrect.
Sporting regulations leave a little room for fudging. Technical do not. Let's look at the Fuel Flow breech for Pierre Gasley. It was a breech of Technical Regulations:

Red Bull’s Pierre Gasly has been hit with his second major penalty of the weekend – this time for his Honda-powered RB15 exceeding fuel flow limits during qualifying.

The Frenchman, who was already set to start Sunday’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix from the pit lane after a weighbridge infraction in practice, was disqualified from the results of qualifying after it was found his car had exceeded the maximum allowed fuel mass flow of 100 kg/h.

“The stewards reviewed the evidence from the Technical Delegate and heard from the team representatives”, read a report from the stewards in Baku. “The Stewards find that the fuel mass flow exceeded 100 kg/hr during the fastest lap set by car 10.”

While Gasly's infringement breached Article 5.1.4 of F1's technical regulations, the penalty – like the five-place grid drop he'd also received for changing his car's gearbox – won't, in reality, have any bearing on the Frenchman given his existing weighbridge penalty. He'll now hope for some strong race pace to help him secure his third consecutive points finish in four events for Red Bull.

The above is from the official Formula One Website.

Now let's look at a breech of the Sporting Regulations:

From Brazil 2018 when Vettel destroyed the weigh bridge:

..."As the driver was not following the instructions and further compromised the continuation of the weighing procedure, I am referring this matter to the stewards for their consideration," Bauer stated.

Vettel has been summoned to the stewards for allegedly breaching Article 29.1.a.i, which tells drivers to stop their engines when being weighed "and/or" Article 12.1.1.i of the FIA's International Sporting Code, which refers to the "failure to follow the instructions of the relevant officials for the safe and orderly conduct of the event".

The language is a bit more loose and open to interpretation.

The above is from the official Formula One website.

Compare the language above (Sporting Regulations) to the language below (Technical Regulations)

The below is just on the Nose of the car. The language is declarative unambiguous.
Attached Images

Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 2
      12-03-2019, 10:43 AM   #118
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Merc with the longer wheelbase ok yet at Yas Marina the many slow/medium snaky corners were taken with aplomb by them.Doesn't add up.
you might consider to think why Merc's were really good on sector 3..
some from more grip some from better stability on high speed to mid corners..

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B5gSVqF..._web_copy_link ..
MKSixer34171.50