BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Clutch Shutter

08-28-2018, 11:33 AM   #23
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

The clutch and flywheel removed from the car were in very good condition with no signs of uneven wear or hot spots. This issue was brought to their shop Forman and master M tech. All parties were confident symptoms were caused by the sticker alone. These stickers are not paper, they're a tear-resistant plastic. As evident in the image, the sticker was getting hot enough to char over the 32k miles, many of which saw stop-go traffic.

Of note, I'd struggled with inconsistency in the clutch engagement from day 1, with symptoms only worsening over time, then eventually severe enough to replicate in the presence of a technician.

Since replaced, the clutch has been solid, smooth, consistent and shutter free.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #24
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post
The clutch and flywheel removed from the car were in very good condition with no signs of uneven wear or hot spots. This issue was brought to their shop Forman and master M tech. All parties were confident symptoms were caused by the sticker alone. These stickers are not paper, they're a tear-resistant plastic. As evident in the image, the sticker was getting hot enough to char over the 32k miles, many of which saw stop-go traffic.

Of note, I'd struggled with inconsistency in the clutch engagement from day 1, with symptoms only worsening over time, then eventually severe enough to replicate in the presence of a technician.

What I find super interesting is the fact that the plastic sticker held up for all that time. You would think that a couple of dozen fast starts would have vaporised it!
I guess we live and learn. Did BMW offer you any "compensation" for lack of enjoyment. The fact that you have been at them and it took this long and it was clearly an assembly mistake. Think they owe you something...

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 12:52 PM   #25
pit1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post

What I find super interesting is the fact that the plastic sticker held up for all that time. You would think that a couple of dozen fast starts would have vaporised it!
I guess we live and learn. Did BMW offer you any "compensation" for lack of enjoyment. The fact that you have been at them and it took this long and it was clearly an assembly mistake. Think they owe you something...
I was shocked as well that it held up.

Still working on pushing the issue through BMWNA. I got very formal apology from dealer (they also dented my car in same time frame), but all was handled professionally and appropriately. Dealer is assisting in BMWNA clutch claim.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 01:47 PM   #26
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Mine chatters a bit when pulling into my garage slowly in 1st gear. From what I have read this seems to be a normal characteristic of these and other BMW cars using the same/similar transmission. Doesn't bother me too much but it's something I'm not used to.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #27
dew343
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Pit that was one hell of a sticker ,I am glad that it all worked out .Whats even better is after 32k miles and that sticker causing all kinds of issues that their was no visible wear or damage to the pressure plate or flywheel !! And they dented your car!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #28
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew343 View Post
Pit that was one hell of a sticker ,I am glad that it all worked out .Whats even better is after 32k miles and that sticker causing all kinds of issues that their was no visible wear or damage to the pressure plate or flywheel !! And they dented your car!!!!
THEY SHOULD MAKE THE PISTONS AND LINERS FROM THOSE STICKERS. THE ENGINE WOULD RUN FOREVER AND REQUIRE NO OIL!

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 10:13 AM   #29
jamnesiac34
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Hello everyone. Just wanted to add that I experienced a similar issue in my 2017 M2 - manual transmission car - 35k miles. When cold, the car shifts perfectly. But as it warms up the clutch shutters horribly when in stop/start traffic, in 1st gear going from stop to moving. The shutter happens after the clutch engagement point.
I took it to the dealership this morning and it did not take them long diagnose the issue. They are installing a new clutch.
Appreciate 2
ried791.50
      12-23-2019, 05:10 PM   #30
Mint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 6MT

Just wanted to add i've had this issue as well in los angeles driving the car in pretty heavy traffic.

An excellent dealer (South Coast BMW) ended up replacing the clutch and flywheel about a year ago when the car had ~20k miles on it. The problem for me was as you guys describe. The clutch would frequently shudder in 1st gear, the problem for me seemed to get worse as the car/clutch warmed up and the shudder seemed non-existent when cold.

After replacing the clutch and flywheel, the problem went away.
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      12-23-2019, 08:03 PM   #31
Tainen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw e30 325i, subaru wrx

Fairly common in super aggressive clutches. My old Lotus esprit TT had clutch shudder as well. Same thing with aggressive stage 3/4 clutches in most other cars that you haveto install if you want to reliably hold 400-500 ft/lbs of torque. Once you glaze the clutch, it shudders until you replace it. Gets worse over time as the glazed puck starts to cause other pucks to glaze too.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 10:40 PM   #32
BenF87M2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Have this issue as well. Started at about 15k miles. Ruins the driving experience for me and makes me miss my e36 m3 a bit. That clutch felt smooth with over 175k miles on it
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 07:43 AM   #33
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
So, I'm out of warranty at 53K miles and mine is acting up - suggestions?
I'm not paying like 3K to get a new clutch and flywheel installed.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 01:10 PM   #34
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Does your issue preclude enjoying driving the car? If not, drive around the issue and have fun.

If so, you're either selling or replacing...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 06:16 PM   #35
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Would this be a warranty issue, or would BMW try to claim since I didn't purchase the brake/clutch maintenance service I'm out of luck? (since these are considered wear items...)
Appreciate 0