BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Requesting time sensitive help: is M2/M2C OK as a first car for a 6MT noob?

07-27-2021, 04:39 AM   #1
deosaa9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Looking to purchase E90 M3 6MT

Requesting time sensitive help: is M2/M2C OK as a first car for a 6MT noob?

Hey all,

Been wanting to buy a driver's car forever. I finally am in a place in life where I can do it comfortably after starting a family. This will be the 'fun' car as we have a couple other SUV DD. I am working remotely so will use this as my DD to run errands as well. Going to the M2 is entirely about driving feel and fun.

As context, I have previously owned a Tesla Model 3 performance which runs a 3.2s 0-60 and pushes ~480 hp and infinity torque (JK IDK the actual number). I am not new to performance cars, but I am new to 6MT.

3 problems / questions:

1. I don't know how to drive manual anymore. I learned about 10 years ago but have since forgot. Is it a terrible idea to learn directly on the M2 knowing that I will prob burn the clutch a bit initially as I learn?

2. I read here from a few folks that it's straight up dangerous to go into a M2 or M2C esp a manual as a beginner. One person straight up advised to get a Miata as something fun and underpowered to learn on...then buy the M2/performance car when I am comfortable driving stick. The point was that the M2/M2C have a lot of power and learning MT on it can be dangerous given how tail happy the car is and unforgiving it might be to noob manual drivers. IE putting car into 1st gear and accidentally letting out clutch while parked. Having a family now..I am focused on safety and would be willing to get a Miata to build my skill and trade in a few months for a M2. Question is...is this overkill?

3. I have 'good' deals lined up on a 2018 M2 LCI with 25k miles and a 2019 M2C with 5k miles. The M2C costs $10k more and has M performance mirrors and spoiler. I don't want to start a debate between the two cars...just wondering if there is anything to consider to choose one over the other for someone that lives in a big city and interested in learning to track? I heard the M2C is a little more civilized as a DD within the city but no idea why..

--

I would appreciate any advice as I need to make a decision today!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 05:14 AM   #2
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

#1 M2 has very easy clutch and I would consider fine to learn on

#2 is only valid if you are 18 years old or just immature in general. Considering you already recognize the fact it is a small, somewhat high powered rwd car that can be dangerous if driven recklessly I think you will be fine.

#3 I'd always take the one with lower miles if you can afford it. Less likely to get one that has been abused.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      07-27-2021, 05:58 AM   #3
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

6MT on the M2/M2C should be fine for someone learning manual. Light clutch, auto rev matching, as well as the car automatically giving gas for low speed movement and hill starts.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 06:15 AM   #4
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

I would say the M2 is no problem at all. Especially since you learned 10 years ago, it’ll come back very quickly. BMW manuals are very easy to learn on.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 06:44 AM   #5
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

M2 has an easy manual driving experience.

An M2 of any kind would be way down on my list for a fun car if there are other cars available at home to drive when you need them. Something lighter and preferably with hydraulic steering would be far better for fun driving. In the price range of an M2 there are great options out there if the priority truly is about 'driving feel and fun'.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 06:44 AM   #6
deosaa9
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks all for your responses! I am split between the M2C and the Miata RF now! Living in Houston TX atm, the Miata would get more use in that I can redline it everywhere I go and it's half the price of the M2. The M2C is just more beautiful (IMO) and fast. I rented a 997 Turbo auto and my favorite part of it was the turbo speed feeling...it comes on like a hammer at the right rev range and makes the car a freaking blast to drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 06:45 AM   #7
deosaa9
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fined View Post

An M2 of any kind would be way down on my list for a fun car if there are other cars available at home to drive when you need them. Something lighter and preferably with hydraulic steering would be far better for fun driving. In the price range of an M2 there are great options out there if the priority truly is about 'driving feel and fun'.
What do you suggest in the price range? I also want to have Apple Carplay and certain creature comforts if possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 07:41 AM   #8
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

1) M2 is an easy manual car to drive as far as manuals go. Easy clutch, hill assist and all that.

2) Far from dangerous if you are mature. Start learning at a comfortable pace then add speed into corners and situations, not the other way around. Yes, if you get in the car and turn all electronics off and floor it without a lot of skill you'll end up in a wall.

3) M2 is better for daily driving in a city area as it is a tad softer due to bushings and simpler motor. M2C is a better track car due to better brakes and better cooling. Heat on a track is the enemy of an M2 as brakes will fade and even in stock form you get good heat soak. For a $10k difference if you really plan to track I'd go M2C personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fined View Post

Also true, staying close to type the 987, 997 and E92 M3 immediately come to mind and that's before going off on a tangent into Lotus and other more focused cars like that. But you also live in NYC so balance is important, and you mentioned you have a family so the practicality may be vital. I have a toddler and was at Cayman vs. M2, but the ability to take my daughter with me won out, even though the Cayman is hands down a better 'driver's car' for feel.

Last edited by carchrism5; 07-27-2021 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
Fined243.00
      07-27-2021, 07:55 AM   #9
MacFever
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Yes
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23481.50
      07-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #10
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by deosaa9 View Post
What do you suggest in the price range? I also want to have Apple Carplay and certain creature comforts if possible.
Since you've mentioned it.. for a fun car I would have a Miata RF as a top pic, especially if having something new-ish was a priority.

A 2009-2012 Porsche Cayman or Boxster (updating the navigation to include wireless Carplay/Android Auto is not hard, I have done it on my own 2009 Cayman) would be another top pick, especially considering how reliable those cars are. I bought a 2009 Cayman S (in 2018) for $23k.. it had 90k+ miles on it but it was well serviced and caused me no problems. I sold it in 2019 for $25k since I was moving overseas. I would do it again, though I know prices are a bit higher now.

Even my 2013 BMW 128i M Sport was actually a more fun drivers car than my M2. Weighing in at ~3,100lbs you could definitely detect the lightness, great steering, good gearbox. I bought one of those in 2017 for $16k, great car, never should have sold it.

I like my M2 and don't plan to sell it anytime soon, don't get me wrong, but it wouldn't be a pick for a fun drivers car. I know this may go against popular opinion here.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 08:00 AM   #11
ioftendrive
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Pure LBB

Re-learning on an M2 6MT shouldn't be a problem. The clutch and shift is very easy to use.

Not dangerous either. I've dumped the clutch with the engine idling in the garage by mistake (forgot I wasn't in neutral after starting the engine) and all that happened was to stall the engine.

I had both an Miata and E92 M3 6MT when I lived in Houston (M2 here in Perth). Both were great cars but the Miata wins on fun/dollar. You'll need ear plugs driving a Miata on the concrete freeways with the roof down!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #12
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Yes they're trivially easy for a MT.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 03:04 PM   #13
.Slug
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance

I bought a new Miata a short time ago wanting a fun DD... i found myself still wanting more power. It just seems underpowered to me. Fun? Yes. But it gets boring real fast without much of an aggressive sounding motor/exhuast in a stock package in my opinion. I returned the car 3 months after purchase. Also, i'm 6'4" and comfort was a MAJOR issue in the Miata. I replaced it with a Mazdaspeed 3 which was still fun, but had the additional power I needed and could also kart the kids around and was easily tunable. You might want to consider a good used copy of a Mazdaspeed 3 as well.

With that said, I've been driving the M2C over the last couple weeks and would say manual on an MC2 is a breeze compared to other manual cars like the Mazdaspeed 3 or any other manual car I've owned (Toyota MR2 Turbo, Civics, Nissans etc). If I had to choose TODAY which to pick, MC2 all the way over a Miata.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 03:40 PM   #14
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

How did you test drive the two M2 if you don't remember how to drive manual?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 04:49 PM   #15
deosaa9
Enlisted Member
Rep

I test drove the DCT!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 05:19 PM   #16
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Quote:
Thanks all for your responses! I am split between the M2C and the Miata RF now! Living in Houston TX atm, the Miata would get more use in that I can redline it everywhere I go and it's half the price of the M2. The M2C is just more beautiful (IMO) and fast. I rented a 997 Turbo auto and my favorite part of it was the turbo speed feeling...it comes on like a hammer at the right rev range and makes the car a freaking blast to drive.
I don't think you can go wrong with the Miata or the M2.

I live in Houston too, and you just need to be careful in the wet. That's the only thing I would worry about. And that's a RWD vs FWD/AWD issue not a manual issue. I have a manual VW Rabbit and I couldn't get that out of sorts unless I downed a bottle of booze first…

The problem with Houston and sports cars is that there are very few twisty roads around. I happen to live on one of them. Otherwise, having some power to play with is going to be more practical.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 05:52 PM   #17
Fuji550i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, E46 m3, E60 550i

Quote:
I test drove the DCT!
Get the DCT. It's a lot more fun and you will get more out of the car but if you insist on the 6MT it's one of the easiest manual to learn. Soft clutch, stall free assist and rev matching etc. so you should be fine. I taught my wife driving the m2c manual and she was able to get an hang of it in 10 mins. It's a very easy manual to learn and drive but to be good and using it on the track is another story.

I had owned both a M2C manual and a dct m2 CS. I got so much out of the DCT than the manual. I don't regret a second. Get whatever make you happy.
Appreciate 1
TMR013422.00
      07-27-2021, 08:21 PM   #18
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Only thing I will add is that the manual is not more dangerous than the auto, you can get into trouble with both. Its a very easy manual car, first to second sometimes can be a bit weird but you get used to it
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 03:22 PM   #19
PHX102
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Just taught my 18 year old nephew to drive a manual on my M2C. He did great, it's an easy car to learn on, very forgiving.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #20
dangaroo
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C, 2016 VW GTI

You'll be fine with a manual M2. My M2C is the first manual car I've owned and so coming into it I was by no means a super experienced manual driver. I'd driven them here and there as rentals or friends cars but coincidentally had always owned automatics. I think the DCT is the better chose from an objective performance standpoint but if you're looking for a fun manual to learn and develop with I think you'll be just as happy in the M2. Like others have mentioned the rev matching, hill assist and light clutch make it very approachable. It's small and nimble whilst also have plenty of power. Gearing is decently short too so you can really enjoy the twisties. Be smart about it and it's no more dangerous than any other car.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 04:15 PM   #21
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

The answer is to always buy the manual M2.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 08:07 PM   #22
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

I have owned a DCT and now a manual M2. I had not driven a manual in 20 years and jumped in just fine. Its a easy manual.
Also the manual is much more fun than the DCT, the car feels lighter ( bc it is ), and more responsive. As easy as this manual is there is no reason to buy the DCT. Dont make same mistake I did. I liked the DCT, but love the manual.
Appreciate 0