BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Bayoptiks Yellow CSL DRL

10-26-2022, 01:18 PM   #1
Yadadameans
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Bayoptiks Yellow CSL DRL

Had Bayoptiks install my yellow CSL DRL. Fairly simple and easy swap since it's just swapping the module boards. The nice thing is that you don't need to touch the headlights or mess them up and you can swap back to stock if you don't like them. I think they look great. Pictures don't do justice, in person looks a lot better. No codes and everything works like stock ones. You can also code them brighter through Bimmercode.

https://bayoptiks.com/collections/dr...1-lci-led-only

Last edited by Yadadameans; 12-13-2022 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 6
      10-26-2022, 05:01 PM   #2
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Interesting look, but I like that it's very subtle! Wonder how it would look with Sunset Orange......
      10-26-2022, 05:16 PM   #3
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

I like it! How long did the install take? Can you just switch it back with the original module?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 06:26 PM   #4
Yadadameans
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewaterPete View Post
I like it! How long did the install take? Can you just switch it back with the original module?
Pretty easy install and can be done in about 30mins. Just need to take off top module torx screws (3 each side), unplug the cables to the boards, take boards off module (longest part), swap in new boards and glue them in place, then reinstall back to modules. Can swap back whenever you feel like it.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2022, 07:30 PM   #5
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Do you have any pics at night? I’m wondering how the headlights look and how well they light up the road.
Appreciate 1
StephGOD218.50
      10-26-2022, 07:35 PM   #6
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadadameans View Post
Pretty easy install and can be done in about 30mins. Just need to take off top module torx screws (3 each side), unplug the cables to the boards, take boards off module (longest part), swap in new boards and glue them in place, then reinstall back to modules. Can swap back whenever you feel like it.
Thanks! Cool that you can swap back and forth if needed.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 10:22 AM   #7
SilverM2_CS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 2011 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadadameans View Post
Reinstall by re-gluing the board back on the module? Or did you get a new module for the new board?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 12:10 AM   #8
Yadadameans
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverM2_CS View Post
Reinstall by re-gluing the board back on the module? Or did you get a new module for the new board?
I reused my original modules. You dont really need new modules.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 09:57 PM   #9
triplecaution
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Agreed, you don't need new "modules" lets call them what they really are; heatsinks.

Looking at both the BayOptiks and IND offerings, they are all the same everything as what's on AliExpress though IND offering (Motorsport+) has gone an extra mile on some of theirs with thermal doublesided tape instead of needing to use thermal paste. Not sure it's worth the extra couple hundred $$ though
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 01:24 AM   #10
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

So all my parts came in a couple of days ago; ordered on 11/24/22 and had all parts on hand by 12/11/22.

It's an easy job, very difficult to mess up by can get messy because of the adhesive. What's important is that you don't need all that much, you don't need to cover every surface of the rear of the LED board or else it'll just ooze out the sides when you install them to the heatsink. Just enough to get it to stick without being messy. Take your time with the whole project and don't muscle your way through it. Double and triple check when you install the chips to make sure they're properly aligned with the casting.

The yellow LED chips themselves are similar to the factory Valeo chips. The DRL units and chips are also identical to the factory units, save for the lettering and numbering fonts used. It doesn't matter anyway since you're really using them to scavenge for the heatsinks. As far as the heatsink casting themselves, they're identical to the factory units. If I didn't know any better I would have though they were factory castings. I wouldn't worry about going aftermarket with these.

See pictures below and try to figure which is the factory unit and which is the AliExpress one.

Edit: forgot to include the pictures of the installed lights. Last picture is a better representation of the yellow color. It's very YELLOW.
Attached Images

Last edited by (K); 12-12-2022 at 01:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
HSM2C17.00
      12-20-2022, 12:26 PM   #11
HSM2C
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C / 77 Dodge Power Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
So all my parts came in a couple of days ago; ordered on 11/24/22 and had all parts on hand by 12/11/22.

It's an easy job, very difficult to mess up by can get messy because of the adhesive. What's important is that you don't need all that much, you don't need to cover every surface of the rear of the LED board or else it'll just ooze out the sides when you install them to the heatsink. Just enough to get it to stick without being messy. Take your time with the whole project and don't muscle your way through it. Double and triple check when you install the chips to make sure they're properly aligned with the casting.

The yellow LED chips themselves are similar to the factory Valeo chips. The DRL units and chips are also identical to the factory units, save for the lettering and numbering fonts used. It doesn't matter anyway since you're really using them to scavenge for the heatsinks. As far as the heatsink casting themselves, they're identical to the factory units. If I didn't know any better I would have though they were factory castings. I wouldn't worry about going aftermarket with these.

See pictures below and try to figure which is the factory unit and which is the AliExpress one.

Edit: forgot to include the pictures of the installed lights. Last picture is a better representation of the yellow color. It's very YELLOW.
That looks really nice.

Do you have a link for the AliExpress ones? I'm looking to do the same for my car but can't justify paying the $300+
Appreciate 0