BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Catless Dinan Exhaust setup

07-18-2020, 08:06 PM   #1
JoshuaevansF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Catless Dinan Exhaust setup

Anyone running full dinan exhaust with catless Dp on their N55 M2 if so would love to hear how it sounds thinking about going dp soon
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 08:48 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I wouldn’t. It is illegal to change the manufacturer’s smog system. Especially a catless downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 09:22 PM   #3
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

For good or ill, that horse has left the barn long ago on a site like this. Personally, I think a catless DP does not make a lot of sense, given that you can stay smog-compliant with a 200 or 300 cell catted DP (although it is equally illegal), a catless can stink and you have to deal with a CEL (although there are work-arounds), and the hp/torque gain over the catted DP is minimal. You can get more sound out of the catless--that is basically the benefit.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 09:32 PM   #4
JoshuaevansF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I wouldn't. It is illegal to change the manufacturer's smog system. Especially a catless downpipe.
True but louder and faster = more fun lol
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 08:49 PM   #5
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
I'm running a Dinan big turbo, stage IV tune, exhaust, and catless DP (previous owner installed it). Can try to get a video of it at some point (potentially at an upcoming autocross, when you can get a sense of how amazing it sounds).

First the positives: during normal driving, it's loud, but not obnoxiously so. I have ASD disabled, and you definitely don't need it on. If you've got the windows closed driving on the highway, it's not super noticeable. With music on you can barely hear anything abnormal.

However, put it in sport, roll down the windows, and floor it: it's next level. The overrun sounds amazing, and a warm start is suuuuuuper satisfying (nice sharp crack that people notice, but not in an obnoxious way IMO).

Unfortunately, there are negatives: the cold start is... ridiculous, mostly in a bad way. I am banned from a friend's apartment because I woke up a baby sleeping two floors up. My former roommate (who lived above the garage at my old place) didn't like when I left before he woke up. I set off a car alarm in my current apartment garage and had to move to a different parking spot to avoid doing this in the future (granted, it's a solid concrete box...). Friends that sit in the car during cold start ask if there's something wrong with the car, and seem very concerned that it's going to sound like that all the time.

There is a noticeable smell especially if you're in a garage, and honestly even if you've got the windows down at a light and are waiting for 30 seconds. Unsure how many years it's taking off my life, but can't be good for you.

Honestly, I wouldn't have installed it (constant CEL, difficulties with smogging, unclear benefits over a sport cat or even the regular cat), but I get why people might. I have a feeling that the exhaust and tune is 90% of the sound, and the catless DP is diminishing returns.
Appreciate 1
DanG10444.00
      07-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #6
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Here's mine:

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0