BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake Force Display

12-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Brake Force Display

I used Bimmercode to set up all the values in the FEM. Alas, it does not work.

Any one else have success.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

The idea of Brake Force Display is it only activates when the ABS kicks in, for real aggressive braking. Think of your cell phone flying off the seat when you brake hard, something like that would activate it.

Anything else would just annoy fellow motorist behind you and which I believe is illegal in most US states because brake lights have to remain steady burning, under DOT rules.

If you want to adjust it to the most sensitive setting, code the parameter I listed below under the FEM module.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The idea of Brake Force Display is it only activates when the ABS kicks in,
Not sure this is true. I have it enabled to the most sensitive setting and it comes on when I hit the brakes hard, but not that hard to activate ABS.

I had it on medium setting and it never came on. So I changed it to the most sensitive setting. I do not want it flashing at every stop sign. But I do want it to flash when I get the brakes hard. I found the sensitive setting to be ideal since you still have to press the brake very hard to activate the flashing.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The idea of Brake Force Display is it only activates when the ABS kicks in, for real aggressive braking. Think of your cell phone flying off the seat when you brake hard, something like that would activate it.

Anything else would just annoy fellow motorist behind you and which I believe is illegal in most US states because brake lights have to remain steady burning, under DOT rules.

If you want to adjust it to the most sensitive setting, code the parameter I listed below under the FEM module.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Quote:
The idea of Brake Force Display is it only activates when the ABS kicks in,
Not sure this is true. I have it enabled to the most sensitive setting and it comes on when I hit the brakes hard, but not that hard to activate ABS.

I had it on medium setting and it never came on. So I changed it to the most sensitive setting. I do not want it flashing at every stop sign. But I do want it to flash when I get the brakes hard. I found the sensitive setting to be ideal since you still have to press the brake very hard to activate the flashing.
I should of instead stated "or when the ABS kicks in"

I don't know what to tell you then, code what works best for you.

What's funny is the medium and hard setting is basically the same (wert 2 & 3) because when you convert "0A" in hex value it's "10." :
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Hmm. I was under the impression that in the most sensitive setting it would always flash. Which is what I wanted.

Around here there are too many distracted drivers even in slow traffic conditions.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
Hmm. I was under the impression that in the most sensitive setting it would always flash. Which is what I wanted.

Around here there are too many distracted drivers even in slow traffic conditions.

It's virtually impossible to code it to flash at every braking maneuver, it's not programed that way for obvious reasons and set laws.

If that's what you're looking for, you would have go aftermarket, which includes re-wiring the brake lights.

Just keep in mind it's not only distracting to have a red flashing light on your vehicle, it's also illegal and has the potential to incite road rage.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #7
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Just keep in mind it's not only distracting to have a red flashing light on your vehicle, it's also illegal and has the potential to incite road rage.
It's only illegal if you get caught.

No, seriously, I don't think it's illegal - I always had flashing accessory brake lights on my motorcycles, and never had an issue.

Speaking of rage, my favorite bumper sticker read "Horn broken, watch for finger".
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #8
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Quote:
It's only illegal if you get caught.

No, seriously, I don't think it's illegal - I always had flashing accessory brake lights on my motorcycles, and never had an issue.

Speaking of rage, my favorite bumper sticker read "Horn broken, watch for finger".
Pulsating brake lights are illegal on a federal level but enforced by local or state set rules, even for motorcycles.

As with every other law, It's up to the police officer to care enough to enforce the rules.

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...-motor-vehicle
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #9
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

On my motorcycle, when coming to a stop, I pull my lever a couple if times to flash my light... Same goes for if I see a car coming up from behind rapidly, give it a few pulls.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 12:34 AM   #10
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Pulsating brake lights are illegal on a federal level but enforced by local or state set rules, even for motorcycles.

As with every other law, It's up to the police officer to care enough to enforce the rules.

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...-motor-vehicle
North American has the dumbest car regulations in the world. So many features that enhance driving safety are not allowed, such as the brake force display and full brightness of laser headlights and so on. And don't get me started on the reflectors on the side, disabling our rear fog lights, and how in the 1950's to 1960's, headlights had to be round, then it became they had to be at least a certain height (which lead to pop up headlights)
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #11
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Bicycles also have flashing lights. No one complains about that.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #12
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

My attitude is that if someone is complaining about my flashing brake lights, then they are aware of them and they (the lights) are doing their job.

Now, if we're in stop & crawl traffic, then sure, that would be annoying and I can see someone getting upset. But in the case of the BMW and the linked-to Mercedes lights, the blinking only occurs on hard braking and rapid deceleration. So no worries.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
grl.racr380.00
      12-21-2019, 06:03 PM   #13
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

They should only flash when you are braking with force, hence the name Brake Force Display.