BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Your Experience with Standard (Blue) M2 Competition Brakes

12-23-2019, 07:34 AM   #1
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Your Experience with Standard (Blue) M2 Competition Brakes

Hi all,

I recently ordered an M2 Competition. I can't wait for it to arrive.

I've ordered my car with standard (blue) brakes as I have no intention of tracking the car. After watching Mr BMW's (Joe Achilles) ordering his own car with standard brakes (see here), I followed his example. I figured he knows what he is doing.

Apparently, the M Performance brakes are 15kgs heavier (adding to the unsprung weight). Not only that, the big brakes are more susceptible to squeaking (which I dislike very much).

I was also thinking about the maintenance aspect of the ownership - cheaper rotors and pads?

I am having a second thought. I'm not sure if I can change my order, but I thought I would ask others.

What sort of punishment have you dished out on your M2 Competition's standard (blue) brakes? I'm tying to understand what it takes to fade them or lose their effectiveness.

Thanks for sharing your stories.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 07:39 AM   #2
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hithere View Post
Apparently, the M Performance brakes are 15kgs heavier (adding to the unsprung weight). Not only that, the big brakes are more susceptible to squeaking (which I dislike very much).
I have not had any squeaking issues with my performance brakes. Btw
      12-23-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
I had the blues on my M235i and now the grays on my M2C. The blues squeaked a little after a few years, but it was intermittent and trivial. The big grays haven't yet, but it's only been 8 months.
The big brakes grab harder to be sure. Going back and forth between the cars, I'd embarrass myself with jerky stops in the M2. Once you adjust, they are fine.
I've driven both cars at the BMW Performance Center; I don't think you'll get fade from the blues short of a true track day
Appreciate 3
      12-23-2019, 09:39 AM   #4
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

You're worried about nothing. The 4 Piston Brembo units are more than adequate.

I have them on my '17 OG M2, and I track the car. Weak point is the OEM factory fluid, and if you track the stock pads. On the street I can't see how you would ever get fade out of them even stock. If you upgrade the pads and fluid they are bullet proof.

The reason you see so many people complain is driver error. Braking early, riding the brake pedal half applied till turn it cooks fluid and pads. Big Brakes are more resilient to this, but it doesn't make the Blue brakes any less capable when used correctly.

On the track I have boiled the OE fluid once. I had track pads but still OE fluid and the pedal started going to the floor after 15min of hot laps on Hockenheimring.

Changed the fluid to a high temp (600F instead of 380F) and never had any problems even after a 17 laps on Nurburgring.

I think you're overthinking it. Brembo makes good brakes.

Here is a few examples of abuse I put mine though with no issues:

168mph to 60mph Autobahn braking to make the ramp

And more serious abuse at Spa Francorchamps, a beautiful F1 circuit in Belgium. Squeeling is from proper race pads.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 5
cptobvious2531.50
Poochie9103.00
AndrewC198910910.50
Robin_NL8714.50
      12-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

All good replies above, for sure.

OP, the fact that you’re questioning the your brake choice is telling. Go with your gut feeling.

You’ll probably never use the full potential of either brake system on the street, but it’ll be nice knowing you have the higher performance capability M brakes, and they look amazing filling up the wheels. I like to hear people say “Wow, look at those brakes!”, when looking the car over.

They can, at times, be a bit grabby at very low speeds, but they feel amazingly powerful at speed!

Ask yourself this... Would you choose a lower performance (but still powerful) engine, if you had the option? Or a lower performance (but still quick) suspension setup? Or lower performance seats? Probably not.

You have the chance to choose the available higher performance brakes, that to me, in theory, matches well with the M performance engine, M performance suspension setup, M performance seats, and of course the M performance mirrors, lol!

Seems to make a nice, well rounded M performance package, to me.

Good luck, you’ll enjoy the car!
Appreciate 2
      12-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #6
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I prefer the looks and size of the grey over the blue. But, the grey means you can't run 18's (which sucks). My grey breaks do squeak a bit, but only when going very slow and it's intermittent.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

I did fry my stock blue brakes after an intense track session going head to head with a 911gt3. But I think the same would have happened to the silver ones as well, as I pushing Past the M2’s limits. That was running stock pads and fluid. imho either brake package need dedicated track pads and fluid to be competitive on track (if driving over 8/10ths). I did some track schools up to 8/10ths and no issues on stock pads but lots of cool down time.
Once I changed them out then no more issues on track. On street there’s no way you can kill the blue brakes so I wouldn’t worry about it. Pick the one that looks the best with your car color choice and don’t worry about performance. If tracking then go fluid and pads on either set up.
Appreciate 2
natmad667.00
      12-23-2019, 01:17 PM   #8
MyBimmer328
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

What are the downsides to running the higher temp brake fluid and/or why doesn't BMW use it as standard equipment on M cars?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #9
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

First and foremost I would say: don't base your choices based on the needs, desires or budget of others..... though a YouTube personality may be knowledgeable and everything else under the sun at best, their choices don't translate to what's best for you, only you know that!

Second, if you're already guessing you may want to switch, that implies you're not 100% certain about the standard brakes. Your gut is telling you to go with the bigger ones because you may regret not getting them. Are you going to be okay 1 year from now if you had wished you'd gotten the larger brakes? Would you rather wish you had the larger brakes, or have them and realize they're too much? Brakes are one thing you can't have enough of, IMO.

Third, this is subjective but the larger brakes look much better than the blue ones. I'm in the US so I had no choice but I would've definitely added them. It's a talking point every time people stop to admire my car, how they love the huge brake system.

At the end of the day, do what's best for you, your lifestyle, your budget and most importantly, your desires! I'm guessing if you're buying a car like this, it's not for economical reasons or for purely transportation....
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #10
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBimmer328 View Post
What are the downsides to running the higher temp brake fluid and/or why doesn't BMW use it as standard equipment on M cars?
Higher DOT fluid increases temp resistance but the downside is generally that it absorbs water faster than regular standard fluid such as DOT3 which is highly used.

Therefore it would require shorter change intervals for not much benefit for most people.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #11
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
All good replies above, for sure.

OP, the fact that you’re questioning the your brake choice is telling. Go with your gut feeling.

You’ll probably never use the full potential of either brake system on the street, but it’ll be nice knowing you have the higher performance capability M brakes, and they look amazing filling up the wheels. I like to hear people say “Wow, look at those brakes!”, when looking the car over.

They can, at times, be a bit grabby at very low speeds, but they feel amazingly powerful at speed!

Ask yourself this... Would you choose a lower performance (but still powerful) engine, if you had the option? Or a lower performance (but still quick) suspension setup? Or lower performance seats? Probably not.

You have the chance to choose the available higher performance brakes, that to me, in theory, matches well with the M performance engine, M performance suspension setup, M performance seats, and of course the M performance mirrors, lol!

Seems to make a nice, well rounded M performance package, to me.

Good luck, you’ll enjoy the car!
But they're a lot heavier in a place that matters
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8714.50
      12-23-2019, 01:45 PM   #12
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I have not had any squeaking issues with my performance brakes. Btw
Thanks for chipping in Chris. Good to hear this.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #13
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
The blues squeaked a little after a few years, but it was intermittent and trivial. The big grays haven't yet, but it's only been 8 months.
Hopefully, not all blue brakes starts squeaking.

Quote:
The big brakes grab harder to be sure. Going back and forth between the cars, I'd embarrass myself with jerky stops in the M2. Once you adjust, they are fine.
Sounds like the M Performance brakes do grab noticeably better.

Quote:
I've driven both cars at the BMW Performance Center; I don't think you'll get fade from the blues short of a true track day
Thanks Supernaut, this is what I was hoping to hear. That the blue brakes are very capable.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #14
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBimmer328 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Higher DOT fluid increases temp resistance but the downside is generally that it absorbs water faster than regular standard fluid such as DOT3 which is highly used.

Therefore it would require shorter change intervals for not much benefit for most people.
Actually the main down side is price. $60/qt vs $9/qt. And while some race fluids do absorb water more, Castrol SRF doesnt. Maintains 2 year drain interval and wet boiling point is only 70F lower than dry boiling poit, and still over 500F.

But lets say you need 2qt to flush. $120 vs $20 which is why OEMs don't do it.

Appreciate 2
natmad667.00
      12-23-2019, 02:00 PM   #15
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
You're worried about nothing. The 4 Piston Brembo units are more than adequate...

...I think you're overthinking it. Brembo makes good brakes.
Hey M0nster,

After watching your videos, I know I've made the right call by ordering the car with stock brakes. If the blue set is that capable, I don't need anything more than that. Thanks for posting your videos too. They were enjoyable to watch.
Appreciate 2
5.M0NSTER3353.50
Robin_NL8714.50
      12-23-2019, 02:12 PM   #16
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
OP, the fact that you’re questioning the your brake choice is telling. Go with your gut feeling...

You’ll probably never use the full potential of either brake system on the street...
Hi Natmad,

Thanks for your reply. I had a moment of regret but after reading all the comments, I've realised something. This car is built in a country with unlimited speed limit. Where I live, the top speed is 110kph/70mph. At 113kph, we get fined (my state is worse than other states). At 133kph, lose driver's license. The most demanding driving that I would ever do would be mountain pass / coastal driving at 100kph, then brake to 50kph and repeat. If blues can handle a few laps on a track, they should be more than adequate for my type of driving.

Last edited by ///Driver; 12-24-2019 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 02:13 PM   #17
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Cool, glad to help. And if you ever wish for just a bit more grip out of the brakes switch to DS2500 pad or something along these lines. 15" 4 piston Brembos are no joke and can handle a much gripper pad. Enjoy the car mate!

The choice dilemma is there but it's like picking a 12" eggplant or the 16" version. Either way, you're good!

Appreciate 1
      12-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #18
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
I prefer the looks and size of the grey over the blue. But, the grey means you can't run 18's (which sucks). My grey breaks do squeak a bit, but only when going very slow and it's intermittent.
Thanks for your comments. 95% of driving is everyday street driving and slow braking. I'm hoping stock brakes are quite. In the past, I've had cars and bikes that squealed every time, just before pulling up at that 5mph to 0mph. It drove me nuts.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 02:21 PM   #19
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the hammer View Post
I did fry my stock blue brakes after an intense track session going head to head with a 911gt3. But I think the same would have happened to the silver ones as well, as I pushing Past the M2’s limits. That was running stock pads and fluid.

...On street there’s no way you can kill the blue brakes so I wouldn’t worry about it.
Thanks Hammer, sounds like you had a fun day. After all these replies, I'm not worried about the blues now. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #20
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post
Third, this is subjective but the larger brakes look much better than the blue ones. I'm in the US so I had no choice but I would've definitely added them. It's a talking point every time people stop to admire my car, how they love the huge brake system.
The greys looks great for sure! But I am very sure now that blues will do me just fine. Thanks for chipping in 89.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 02:29 PM   #21
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
But they're a lot heavier in a place that matters
Indeed. Unsprung weight is something to reduce, if possible. It is something that will benefit 100% of the driving time. Whereas, greys might benefit me < 1% of the time for me. Even folks tracking couple of times per year, in terms of duration or mileage covered, it might still be < 5% of the M2C ownership. Of course, they look hot so...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 02:46 PM   #22
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
You're worried about nothing. The 4 Piston Brembo units are more than adequate.

I have them on my '17 OG M2, and I track the car. Weak point is the OEM factory fluid, and if you track the stock pads. On the street I can't see how you would ever get fade out of them even stock. If you upgrade the pads and fluid they are bullet proof.

The reason you see so many people complain is driver error. Braking early, riding the brake pedal half applied till turn it cooks fluid and pads. Big Brakes are more resilient to this, but it doesn't make the Blue brakes any less capable when used correctly.

On the track I have boiled the OE fluid once. I had track pads but still OE fluid and the pedal started going to the floor after 15min of hot laps on Hockenheimring.

Changed the fluid to a high temp (600F instead of 380F) and never had any problems even after a 17 laps on Nurburgring.

I think you're overthinking it. Brembo makes good brakes.

Here is a few examples of abuse I put mine though with no issues:

168mph to 60mph Atutobahn braking to make the ramp

And more serious abuse at Spa Francorchamps, a beautiful F1 circuit in Belgium. Squeeling is from proper race pads.
All very good points but what about all the color fading complains, with the blue brakes turning green, after heavy track usage.

I'm all for the lighter blue setup but they seem inadequate if you're pushing them to the limit.

If you use your brake merely just to pace, overtake and embarrass some Altimas & Hondas on the expressway, then they work just fine.

That's cool the ROW as the option for both brake setup.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50