BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > N55 Extreme Engine Cooling

03-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #133
O8E92M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017' F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by O8E92M3 View Post
Changed my spark plugs to a step colder plugs with 0.022" gap (as recommended by PTF) to rule out an issue with the plugs.

Still seeing the same knocks. Clueless!
Have you tried logging on the OTS map to rule the custom tune out?
I can't use the OTS map now for too long as I have an XDI-35 HPFP and it's noisy (on the OTS map) even if XDI-35 is selected in the dropdown config window. It needs the custom parameters set for it.

However, I switched to it a few weeks ago kept it for sometime and logged. Had some knocks at no/low load (which can be normal) and can also be because the HPFP is not properly tuned, as the car even has the "hiccup" feels from time to time when using the OTS map. I spoke to TTFS at the time about it (noise & hiccups) and they said its normal, it just needs to be properly tuned, which was done on my custom map.
Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      03-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #134
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
I can't use the OTS map now for too long as I have an XDI-35 HPFP and it's noisy (on the OTS map) even if XDI-35 is selected in the dropdown config window. It needs the custom parameters set for it.

However, I switched to it a few weeks ago kept it for sometime and logged. Had some knocks at no/low load (which can be normal) and can also be because the HPFP is not properly tuned, as the car even has the "hiccup" feels from time to time when using the OTS map. I spoke to TTFS at the time about it (noise & hiccups) and they said its normal, it just needs to be properly tuned, which was done on my custom map.
Interesting, and good info.

Does TTFS have any input on the knocks? They’re going for pretty high boost in their tune.

Have you ever done a dyno run just to see what relative numbers you’re putting down, which may also point to the custom tune?

I’ll be going thru all this soon when I install a Dorch HPFP and begin running half 93/half E85 and do a custom tune with Halim.

So, just throwing out questions.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 09:51 AM   #135
O8E92M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Interesting, and good info.

Does TTFS have any input on the knocks? They're going for pretty high boost in their tune.

Have you ever done a dyno run just to see what relative numbers you're putting down, which may also point to the custom tune?

I'll be going thru all this soon when I install a Dorch HPFP and begin running half 93/half E85 and do a custom tune with Halim.

So, just throwing out questions.
It was not tuned by TTFS, but I contacted them after installation of the pump when I heard the noise. (I thought it could be tune related but called for reassurance)

Yes it was dyno tuned, however, the numbers can be irrelevant as it was a Mustang Dyno and I don't think any M2 has been on that dyno. + I don't have a 'before' figures.

Apart from the knocks, the car pulls really well. I'm satisfied with the performance but I'm worried about the knocks because I care equally about reliability. A negative point from the boost is the fast build-up of IATs.
Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      03-16-2020, 10:53 AM   #136
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It was not tuned by TTFS, but I contacted them after installation of the pump when I heard the noise. (I thought it could be tune related but called for reassurance)

Yes it was dyno tuned, however, the numbers can be irrelevant as it was a Mustang Dyno and I don't think any M2 has been on that dyno. + I don't have a 'before' figures.

Apart from the knocks, the car pulls really well. I'm satisfied with the performance but I'm worried about the knocks because I care equally about reliability. A negative point from the boost is the fast build-up of IATs.
What did you decide about changing your IC?

While a different IC will help with IATs, they’re not high enough in your logs to cause concern unless you have really crappy gas.

Try some Boostane and see if that works better than the Liqui Moly.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 12:06 AM   #137
O8E92M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

While a different IC will help with IATs, they're not high enough in your logs to cause concern unless you have really crappy gas.

Leaning towards changing to CSF maybe.
Just need to sort out this knock issue, might end up switching to another tuner.

And yes I believe our fuel is crappy here, I get timing pulled as soon as IATs are close to 100F
Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      03-19-2020, 07:22 AM   #138
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Leaning towards changing to CSF maybe.
Just need to sort out this knock issue, might end up switching to another tuner.

And yes I believe our fuel is crappy here, I get timing pulled as soon as IATs are close to 100F
If it can fit- VRSF, it’s going to be flat out, the biggest core. I think it’s my next IC.

VRSF 6.5" Competition
VRSF 6.5" Race

Possibly Wagner Evo 3

Then

ATM, CFS, all the rest
Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      03-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #139
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
If it can fit- VRSF, it’s going to be flat out, the biggest core. I think it’s my next IC.
It will fit but you need to lose the front cross brace. Also the cooling fan housing won't reach the tabs on the intercooler but yes, it's the biggest core.
Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      03-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #140
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Goodness guys... if you need that much cooling for IATs, surely WMI is the way to go. I’m running CSF FMIC, but considering going down to a smaller FMIC to reduce turbo lag since going WMI.

WMI gives you cooling, octane and fueling, and really isn’t as difficult as is sounds.

I’ve just done the M2C / M3 / M4 strut brace retrofit, and can say that our cars benefit a lot from more front end bracing. I really wouldn’t want to be removing bracing when there are other options out there.
Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      03-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #141
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Goodness guys... if you need that much cooling for IATs, surely WMI is the way to go. I’m running CSF FMIC, but considering going down to a smaller FMIC to reduce turbo lag since going WMI.

WMI gives you cooling, octane and fueling, and really isn’t as difficult as is sounds.

I’ve just done the M2C / M3 / M4 strut brace retrofit, and can say that our cars benefit a lot from more front end bracing. I really wouldn’t want to be removing bracing when there are other options out there.
Go through all the trouble for water injection? I could just do a plug and play DV+ or Turbosmart BoV and have the same throttle benefits, plus less costs for the WMI.

Not saying it’s a bad solution - just an expensive one.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 10:10 AM   #142
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
It will fit but you need to lose the front cross brace. Also the cooling fan housing won't reach the tabs on the intercooler but yes, it's the biggest core.
I was reading your thread on it this morning - did you manage any get logs?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 10:19 AM   #143
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Go through all the trouble for water injection? I could just do a plug and play DV+ or Turbosmart BoV and have the same throttle benefits, plus less costs for the WMI.

Not saying it’s a bad solution - just an expensive one.
DV+ / Turbosmart BoV don’t give you the same benefits as WMI at all.

WMI doesn’t improve throttle response; its primary purpose is to reduce IATs.

I thought that’s what this most recent discussion was about since you’re talking about FMIC upgrades which also improve IATs, at the cost of turbo lag (which isn’t fixed with a DV upgrade by the way).
Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      03-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #144
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
DV+ / Turbosmart BoV don’t give you the same benefits as WMI at all.

WMI doesn’t improve throttle response; its primary purpose is to reduce IATs.

I thought that’s what this most recent discussion was about since you’re talking about FMIC upgrades which also improve IATs, at the cost of turbo lag (which isn’t fixed with a DV upgrade by the way).
I’m aware what water injection does - yeah you can run more boost and make more power, AND has the added benefit that you potentially don’t have to run a larger intercooler -but it also costs an additional $600.

The DV+ and the Turbosmart Valve DO help throttle response, per other members reports. Most people also don’t report turbo lag with their intercooler choices.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #145
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was reading your thread on it this morning - did you manage any get logs?
My thread????? I'm not having any issues. You may possibly be thinking of someone else?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 12:01 PM   #146
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
I’m aware what water injection does - yeah you can run more boost and make more power, AND has the added benefit that you potentially don’t have to run a larger intercooler -but it also costs an additional $600.
I didn't mean to get into an argument.

WMI could allow you to run more boost and make more power, OR... you could run the same boost and not need a larger FMIC.

My point was simply that once you get to the point of needing the IAT cooling offered by huge FMICs that need bracing reduction in order to fit, it might be worth looking at WMI. I'm all for upgrading the pathetic stock FMIC, but the huge FMICs now being offered seem illogical IMHO.
Quote:
The DV+ and the Turbosmart Valve DO help throttle response, per other members reports. Most people also don’t report turbo lag with their intercooler choices.
I have the DV+, and I agree that it does help throttle response, but not in a massive way. Turbo lag effects are also massively influenced by your choice of 6MT or DCT; DCT holds boost through shifts, whereas 6MT doesn't. With 6MT you feel turbo lag on every shift, so it becomes very significant even if it's increased or decreased a tiny bit.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      03-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #147
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I didn't mean to get into an argument.

WMI could allow you to run more boost and make more power, OR... you could run the same boost and not need a larger FMIC.

My point was simply that once you get to the point of needing the IAT cooling offered by huge FMICs that need bracing reduction in order to fit, it might be worth looking at WMI. I'm all for upgrading the pathetic stock FMIC, but the huge FMICs now being offered seem illogical IMHO.

I have the DV+, and I agree that it does help throttle response, but not in a massive way. Turbo lag effects are also massively influenced by your choice of 6MT or DCT; DCT holds boost through shifts, whereas 6MT doesn't. With 6MT you feel turbo lag on every shift, so it becomes very significant even if it's increased or decreased a tiny bit.
That’s kind of where I’m at regarding the IC. VRSF is out bc of the fitment issues mentioned with those huge cores.

And, I don’t know that switching from the Evo 2 Comp to the CSF is going to give me that much change in the IATs. And when running E30-45, that IAT difference won’t have much impact on power.

It would be more about helping to keep the overall engine system cooler, which WMI would help some as long as I didn’t tune for additional power from the WMI. But, WMI would be a large amount of additional consumables for my needs at an open track day.

So, if I could try the Evo 3 and if it fits and if it has a big impact, that’s preferable to me. That’s a lot of if’s, tho.

Last edited by ZM2; 03-19-2020 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
PLF693762.50
      03-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #148
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
That’s kind of where I’m at regarding the IC. VRSF is out bc of the fitment issues mentioned with those huge cores.

And, I don’t know that switching from the Evo 2 Comp to the CSF is going to give me that much change in the IATs. And when running an E30-45, that IAT difference won’t have much impact on power.

It would be more about helping to keep the overall engine system cooler, which WMI would help some as long as I didn’t tune for additional power from the WMI. But, WMI would be a large amount of additional consumables for my needs at an open track day.

So, if I could try the Evo 3 and if it fits and if it has a big impact, that’s preferable to me. That’s a lot of if’s, tho.
Sounds logical.

I do think WMI isn't as big of a burden as people think. If you're only using it for cooling, you only need distilled water. As I think you know, I'm using the washer reservoir for my system and everything is mounted in the front of the car; nothing in the trunk.

If you use it for the purpose you're suggesting, you don't even need a fail safe. You know that your tune is safe already, you're just using water injection to keep it safer still and avoid timing pull.

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      03-19-2020, 01:19 PM   #149
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
My thread????? I'm not having any issues. You may possibly be thinking of someone else?
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1654219&highlight=Vrsf

?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 01:22 PM   #150
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sounds logical.

I do think WMI isn't as big of a burden as people think. If you're only using it for cooling, you only need distilled water. As I think you know, I'm using the washer reservoir for my system and everything is mounted in the front of the car; nothing in the trunk.

If you use it for the purpose you're suggesting, you don't even need a fail safe. You know that your tune is safe already, you're just using water injection to keep it safer still and avoid timing pull.
Agreed. WMI or the mythical Evo 3 Comp on the M2, not sure which one yet.

I’ll complete my HPFP and E45 mix/tune first to see how IATs are doing and then make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 01:33 PM   #151
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. WMI or the mythical Evo 3 Comp on the M2, not sure which one yet.

I’ll complete my HPFP and E45 mix/tune first to see how IATs are doing and then make a decision.
Sounds good. I'm eyeing your setup with interest.

My next mod will likely be upgraded turbo and / or HPFP, so your findings are interesting.

Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      03-19-2020, 01:54 PM   #152
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

I’m a 6spd and my DS- so lag matters, but absolute performance is important.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 01:58 PM   #153
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1654219&highlight=Vrsf

?
I ended up selling that one and getting a CSF. Couldn't be happier now. Your question about logging threw me off as that thread was more about fitment than performance at that point.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 07:26 PM   #154
O8E92M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

While a different IC will help with IATs, they’re not high enough in your logs to cause concern unless you have really crappy gas.

I recently figured that almost everyone has their under-tray plastic cover cut after installing the Dinan FMIC (for air to escape?) and I'm pretty sure mine is not.

Do you think it would make a significant difference?
Appreciate 0