BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > "Down pipe" change ?

12-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #1
L e o
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2

"Down pipe" change ?

Hi all, I've got an LCI on an 18 plate with the standard factory exhaust and seen on various sites that replacing the down pipe with the cat "fooler" will give it more noise & character and burbles but does it make it too loud and "chavvy" ? Love the sound of the standard exhaust especially on cold start but compared to my mates '19 Mustang it's so quiet ! Lol so thinking of going for the downpipe replacement and keeping the standard exhaust - so looking for advice and recommendations.

Thanks in advance, cheers - Leo
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

High recommend milltek 300 Cell downpipe. Passed MOT fine. Cold start is brutal. In comfort Mode no drone and very occasionally burbles.

In sport far more exotic sound to the car, nearly like race car sounds outside. Many burbles and occasional pop (they're rare enough to be exciting don't worry)

Traction mode is like you're a steerable thunder cloud. Obscene burbles.

Bit more power out the engine too, you'll notice when you drive the car off. But we're only talking a bit here.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 05:48 PM   #3
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Fabspeed 200 cell HJS is one of the best and if not the best and most popular set up. Price wise on the higher end but it's worth it.

I was just like you loving the stock sound but this makes the tone louder and more exotic. You would of wished u had it sooner once u have it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #4
magha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 AW 6 spd

am running stock exhaust with a catless DP and it sounds fantastic!

18 M2 6 Spd AW - VRSF DP / CP & Race FMIC, ER TIC & GFB DV+ with BM3 Stage 2
Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
L e o
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2

Is it much louder and noticeable ? What are they like to change over - is it a pig of a job ?

A.T.B - Leo
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #6
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by L e o View Post
Is it much louder and noticeable ? What are they like to change over - is it a pig of a job ?

A.T.B - Leo
It's easy. About an hour or less job for a competent mechanic that hasn't done it before. Look up a guide to familiarize yourself, because im just going from memory... but it's essentially remove the stiffening plate, unbolt the downpipe bolts. Then go in from under the hood and unbolt any dp bolts you couldn't get to. While under the hood, disconnect the O2 sensor clips from the harness. It's much easier to unclip the O2 sensors from the harness and remove the sensors from the downpipe after it's out of the car. Then do everything in reverse to install the new dp. If you look up an install guide here, I did list the part numbers of everything that is recommended to be replaced during the install and then some. Stiffening plate bolts, downpipe clamps and gaskets, etc.

I upgraded mine after already having the MPE, and it was A LOT louder to the point where I was embarrassed of drawing too much attention until I got used to it. But I also felt the same after getting the M2 and driving with stock exhaust, then the same again after getting the MPE installed.

I daily drive with fabspeed dp, MPE with valves open, and BM3 with loud burbles, and I don't even notice how loud my car is anymore. That is, until I drive a quite car and it feels like a luxury car compared lol. Or if I put it in comfort mode and close the exhaust valves, it's super quite too. And now that time's past, and more pedestrians are used to seeing my car, it's very rare anyone comments on it or the exhaust noise.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 11:30 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Hi all, I've got an LCI on an 18 plate with the standard factory exhaust and seen on various sites that replacing the down pipe with the cat "fooler" will give it more noise & character and burbles but does it make it too loud and "chavvy" ? Love the sound of the standard exhaust especially on cold start but compared to my mates '19 Mustang it's so quiet ! Lol so thinking of going for the downpipe replacement and keeping the standard exhaust - so looking for advice and recommendations.

Thanks in advance, cheers - Leo
Hi leo,
If your buddy has a GT, you should never compare the sound of both engine. They are different in every way.

Downpipe will increase sound. Its very noticeable and in my opinion not too much. But different people have different tastes.

if you are worried it might be too loud, get the catted Active Autowerke 300 CEL pipe. It offer a nice sound balace between stock and catless

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #8
digimattic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 6MT LBB M2

Quote:

A.T.B - Leo
Like the other folks here, I'd say that it is definitely noticeable, but if you are going with a high-flow cat like the FabSpeed Sport Cat (that's what I have), it is totally livable and definitely not chavvy. The nice thing about our car is that depending on the sport setting (i.e. comfort, sport, sport+, traction), you can make the car sound a variety of different ways from barely louder than stock (in comfort) to quite sporty with lots of lift-off burbles (in sport+ and traction). In terms of volume, if you like the sound of a Mustang GT, a high-flow cat would be just what you're looking for. Totally different sound characteristics though.

In terms of doing it yourself, I did it with my brother-in-law. I am not very experienced and had never done a job like this before. It took about 4 hours all together, taking my time. The biggest pain is getting your hands and wrench on the bolts as space is quite limited. I am very happy with the decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 12:33 AM   #9
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

I have the 300cel akrapovic (hjs core) and it sounds amazing! It is louder but not too much.

I did turn off the pops via bm3 though as sometimes they were to much - still has burbles though.

Do replace the lower cat bracket and the turbo seal - I didn't the first time and had to do the job again to get rid of leaks.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 06:47 AM   #10
digimattic
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
I have the 300cel akrapovic (hjs core) and it sounds amazing! It is louder but not too much.

I did turn off the pops via bm3 though as sometimes they were to much - still has burbles though.

Do replace the lower cat bracket and the turbo seal - I didn't the first time and had to do the job again to get rid of leaks.
Good call. I replaced the seal, but not the copper gasket to the cat back, or the brackets/clamps. I also did not replace the bolts on the stiffening plate. In hindsight, I would have replaced it all in order to prevent future issues. For example, the downpipe to turbo clamp/bracket got a little mangled.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 07:31 AM   #11
rkmjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 ,M & Exe Pkg, MT & MPE

Garage List
I have a 18' M2 LCI w/MPE. Can anyone comment on 3 questions I have regarding a cat or cat less down pipe installation. Any issues with warrantee coverage? Is there any need to get a tune that might adversely affect the warrantee? I am also considering adding to my stock 11" 335. I come from the DSM world and the BMW world is a lot different.
      12-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #12
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimattic View Post
Quote:

Good call. I replaced the seal, but not the copper gasket to the cat back, or the brackets/clamps. I also did not replace the bolts on the stiffening plate. In hindsight, I would have replaced it all in order to prevent future issues. For example, the downpipe to turbo clamp/bracket got a little mangled.
The cat back seal and bracket are one piece. No need to replace the top bracket imo.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 09:48 PM   #13
digimattic
Private
Rep

Quote:
The cat back seal and bracket are one piece. No need to replace the top bracket imo.
I had a copper gasket and a clamp connecting the dp to the cat back. Both looked pretty good and I reused them without issue. The top bracket connecting the dp to the turbo on the other hand got a little stretched out. I would have liked to replace it.
Appreciate 0