BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS vs Mustang Mach 1 vs Type R - Battle of the Special Editions by Throttle House

05-27-2021, 06:01 PM   #23
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
I felt the same way until I drove a CTR. Having owned a "lot" of high performance cars and the Civic is one of the best handling I have driven. Its natural handling state is perfectly balanced, but it is very easy to provoke oversteer. Understeer is actually the hardest thing to get it to do.

Regarding the powertrain, it never felt under powered even in comparison to my F90 that I had at the same time. Honda spent money in all the right places on that car.
Wow good feedback. A "see it to believe it" situation eh?
      05-27-2021, 06:30 PM   #24
6CylindersEveryDay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CS, VW Golf R

I'm never ever selling my M2 CS unless I physically can't drive a manual transmission anymore. Hopefully that is so long from now that I still don't sell it because I like to float my hoverchair out to the garage just to look at it.
Appreciate 4
Jimjamz4589.00
GERMAN M34182.00
      05-27-2021, 08:01 PM   #25
RD340
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW 740i (former)

Yeah, that one-off engine was never going to be bulletproof, especially given the vibration challenges of a flat plane. I guess it's like many other desirables, if you can live with and mitigate the expected issues that go along with it, it's one of those keepers.

I love the idea of the Mach 1, but cars like that just seem to be what the GT should be, and the GT350 should be the Camaro z28 killer.

Much like when the 2 series/M2 came out- it's what the 3 series was/should be. With the 1 series being FWD the 2 series is our last ditch hope for a small, agile corner-carver well under 2 tons. The 2 series will probably also be the last German sports car with an internal combustion engine without a Porsche badge on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 08:45 PM   #26
E46M3forRay
Güdentyte
Rep
Drives: GT3 & 1M

Garage List
2023 Model 3  [6.50]
2022 T4R TRD Pro  [5.00]
2011 1M  [6.67]
2014 991.1 GT3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD340 View Post
@E46M3forRay

Geez, you own or have owned just about every German mid-life crisis car I'm considering.

The GT3/911 aside, what's your fave between manual E90 M3 or M2 CS? I'm about the experience vs lap time.
Thank you and much appreciated ! PM Sent Don't want to derail a thread.

SOLD - MB M2 CS | SMB F80 M3 CS | E90 M3 | E90 335i | E46 M3 Vert | E39 M5 | E34 525i
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2021, 11:28 PM   #27
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I love these guys' content but this video was weak sauce. The M2 CS is excellent, but then they bring a Mustang that they're not allowed to track, with the third contestant being a FWD sedan.

This wasn't even a real comparison test.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN17641.50
      05-28-2021, 12:02 AM   #28
RednekM2
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2CS, Yaris Rallye

Cracking lap time...
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN17641.50
      05-28-2021, 02:40 AM   #29
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Throttle Hoose is a great channel. They are entertaining and everything is great quality. Plus they make me laugh.

Also. That time is honking. Makes sense because their track is more like a road. This is the hunting ground of an unmolested M2CS.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      05-28-2021, 03:12 AM   #30
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Imagine DCT time?

Appreciate 2
CarJunkie2616.50
///M TOWN17641.50
      05-28-2021, 04:11 AM   #31
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Throttle Hoose is a great channel. They are entertaining and everything is great quality. Plus they make me laugh.

Also. That time is honking. Makes sense because their track is more like a road. This is the hunting ground of an unmolested M2CS.
For such a small track that is an interesting
time difference. Ie. There's a smaller gap between a BAC Mono and the F87 CS than between the F87 CS and Comp - despite the CS being manual (not sure of the Comp was also manual?)

Regardless , it's nice to see another CS Throttle House review - their enthusiasm for the car is infectious and relatable.
Appreciate 2
Davil6529.00
      05-28-2021, 04:50 AM   #32
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Manual C I think.

Appreciate 1
      05-28-2021, 08:23 AM   #33
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:

You basically just said what i was thinking. Thats a road more than it is a track. M2 CS is starting to look like one of the all-time great performance road cars.

For people who like backroad driving, this could one of, if not THE, best car ever.
Appreciate 4
Davil6529.00
Hedoniste3835.50
      05-28-2021, 08:57 AM   #34
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:

You basically just said what i was thinking. Thats a road more than it is a track. M2 CS is starting to look like one of the all-time great performance road cars.

For people who like backroad driving, this could one of, if not THE, best car ever.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
ScullyD5165.50
RideM317.00
QM287.00
Davil6529.00
      05-28-2021, 09:48 AM   #35
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:

I think you just nailed it. There are few things better than driving a B road in this car. I've been to parts of sydney I haven't seen in decades in this little beast. The great gearing, turn in, damping over scrabble, fast acceleration, seat position, visibility, compact size, and focused interior seem to add up to make it one of the all time great road cars. The looks and limited run are the icing on the cake.
Appreciate 3
Hedoniste3835.50
Davil6529.00
      05-28-2021, 11:38 AM   #36
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
I felt the same way until I drove a CTR. Having owned a "lot" of high performance cars and the Civic is one of the best handling I have driven. Its natural handling state is perfectly balanced, but it is very easy to provoke oversteer. Understeer is actually the hardest thing to get it to do.

Regarding the powertrain, it never felt under powered even in comparison to my F90 that I had at the same time. Honda spent money in all the right places on that car.
Interesting, I feel similarly to Stefan, I like them, I frequently give them a thumbs up when I see someone in one, but I don't think i'd buy one, unless i had a lot more money and it was like a 3rd or 4th car.

As we all know, front-wheel drive causes all sorts of issues when trying to make a car handle well. Honda spent a huge amount of effort and engineering on mitigating most, if not all of the issues caused by front-wheel drive. That's awesome and quite frankly really really impressive! But when we look at things from the other side and ask "what are the benefits of front-wheel drive?" The answer is esssentially "well, there are some packaging benefits, so you get a more spacious cabin and no hump in the back seat."

And that's pretty much it. In my mind they spent a ton of money and effort (successfully) overcoming a handicap like fwd so they could have their cake and eat it too. But the thing is, i want the cake (great handling) but could honestly care less about the "eat it too" part (great packaging.) In my mind, if you're going to spend all that engineering effort to improve handling, just start with a platform that doesn't include a massive handicap in the first place.

ANYWAY its still a very cool video and the Type R is absolutely a badass car, but personally, i'd much rather own any variant of the BMW M2, especially a CS. Or, honestly, probably even that Mustang, provided I was allowed to do burnouts and stuff.
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4589.00
      05-28-2021, 01:17 PM   #37
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

EVO COTY they tested the cars on B roads of Scotland. No surprise the M2 CS won.

That and 6 speed manual.

Legend!
      05-28-2021, 02:14 PM   #38
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CylindersEveryDay View Post
I'm never ever selling my M2 CS unless I physically can't drive a manual transmission anymore. Hopefully that is so long from now that I still don't sell it because I like to float my hoverchair out to the garage just to look at it.
I just want to drive the car everywhere. It's so hard to keep miles off of it. I'm stacking miles and feeling a bit guilty. Even for a grocery store run. It's really such a fantastic road car. Probably one of the best road cars I've driven. The key here is road car. I'm sure there are other cars on the track that are better. GT3, etc but this car is not just a backroads / track only car. The shifter, the size of the car, the way it puts down power it's fun across the entire rev range. It's fun when you lug the motor. It's fun when you rev the motor. It's fun zipping through traffic at legal speeds. It's fun downshifting into second with auto rev matching and snapping an on ramp apex or even making a simple right hand turn. It's fun driving to Costco and loading up with more stuff then you really should be able to for a car like this. It really is special. Just wish the stance was 10mm lower but I'm scared to mess with the great road suspension and biasing this perfect road car formula.
ptgltw3777.50
      05-28-2021, 05:08 PM   #39
Ma Deuce
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, Tesla MX, Toyota FJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Quote:
I just want to drive the car everywhere. It's so hard to keep miles off of it. I'm stacking miles and feeling a bit guilty. Even for a grocery store run. It's really such a fantastic road car. Probably one of the best road cars I've driven. The key here is road car. I'm sure there are other cars on the track that are better. GT3, etc but this car is not just a backroads / track only car. The shifter, the size of the car, the way it puts down power it's fun across the entire rev range. It's fun when you lug the motor. It's fun when you rev the motor. It's fun zipping through traffic at legal speeds. It's fun downshifting into second with auto rev matching and snapping an on ramp apex or even making a simple right hand turn. It's fun driving to Costco and loading up with more stuff then you really should be able to for a car like this. It really is special. Just wish the stance was 10mm lower but I'm scared to mess with the great road suspension and biasing this perfect road car formula.
This sums it up so well. This is a road car, so that I can have fun everyday doing mundane stuff. I don't have to take it to a track to enjoy driving it. Albeit, it maybe fun on the track too. I'll look for an opportunity after I break it in.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 05:31 PM   #40
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine* View Post
Imagine DCT time?

That's exactly what I was thinking!
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 09:21 AM   #41
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
OK McFly, enough staring for one day
      05-30-2021, 07:22 AM   #42
Joey_Dual_Clutch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Deuce View Post
This sums it up so well. This is a road car, so that I can have fun everyday doing mundane stuff. I don't have to take it to a track to enjoy driving it. Albeit, it maybe fun on the track too. I'll look for an opportunity after I break it in.
Having it for about 20hrs now lol, this thing just wants you to wring it’s neck around town (obv still in breakin so I cant). And since I drive that way anyway, this is perfect. 0% chance the wife will be a passenger in it due to MI roads. I can hear the “I’m going to barf” now.

For those that don’t know, MI has to have the worst quality roads in the country, truly unbelievable.
Appreciate 2
ptgltw3777.50
      05-30-2021, 08:13 AM   #43
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_Dual_Clutch View Post

For those that don't know, MI has to have the worst quality roads in the country, truly unbelievable.
Have you been to Maine?
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 08:51 AM   #44
Joey_Dual_Clutch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Have you been to Maine?
I have not. Would love to some day, a little north east coast tour.
Appreciate 0