BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Dinan Exhaust for M2C

04-02-2019, 07:13 PM   #45
JeremyDFW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

The actual sound is difficult to capture in video, and I am sure that the Dinan exhaust sounds better than what is coming through the video. I also have an M3 (F80) and installed the Dinan intake, x-pipe, and exhaust - it is noticeably different than stock. I have been extremely happy with it, put it on about 6 months after the original car purpose.

Haven't fully made up my mind with exhaust options for my M2C - AA, Akra, and Remus have all been options. And while I haven't completely ruled out Dinan, they are taking entirely too long to get this to market. Much smaller and less known companies are beating them to market. And while their addressable market-share for the M2C is going to be much less than other models, I think they are missing a large opportunity caused by the delays... (same with MPE)

Instagram - @its.bad.karma (inactive/parked)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #46
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyDFW View Post
The actual sound is difficult to capture in video, and I am sure that the Dinan exhaust sounds better than what is coming through the video. I also have an M3 (F80) and installed the Dinan intake, x-pipe, and exhaust - it is noticeably different than stock. I have been extremely happy with it, put it on about 6 months after the original car purpose.

Haven't fully made up my mind with exhaust options for my M2C - AA, Akra, and Remus have all been options. And while I haven't completely ruled out Dinan, they are taking entirely too long to get this to market. Much smaller and less known companies are beating them to market. And while their addressable market-share for the M2C is going to be much less than other models, I think they are missing a large opportunity caused by the delays... (same with MPE)
I don't think they care, the parent company of Dinan also owns Flowmaster, they are busy making Mustang 5.0 exhausts
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #47
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
I don't think they care, the parent company of Dinan also owns Flowmaster, they are busy making Mustang 5.0 exhausts
No video really does any exhaust justice, let alone a quick iPhone video. Once we are a bit closer to retail launch we will put together a proper exhaust video with and capture audio with an actual external sound recorder to get it a bit closer to a realistic interpretation. That said, it still won't be perfect. Never is.

I also won't refute that we will be late to market but that is more due to getting a late jump on the project then anything else. We didn't get a vehicle to work on until the end of November and with a completely new system that needs new bulkheads, skins, piping, and other internals, a 6 month turnaround is pretty typical. We are more or less on target for that. If we re-used the M4 can or some other system then, yes, we could have been to market in 2 months but the M2C a wholly new system.

For context and a bit of backstory-- the development side can easily take 3 months between scanning, prototyping, sound testing, jigs, etc. On the M2C we designed 4 initial muffler designs that we thought may work. 2 of those droned like hell, one sounded good but had an overly obnoxious rasp at the top end and the 4th sounded good if it was just louder. We opted for the last one and then went to town tweaking internals and messing with the resonator/x-pipe to improve volume and get a bit more base into the mix which we all prefer in this building. That took another half dozen variations of internal design to get where we were happy. With a final design in hand it now shifts to production where we can start ordering actual production kibbles (up until now EVERYTHING was made by hand). Tooling for a new bulkhead is typically 45-60 days as an example so needless to say the spool up phase can take another 2-3 months pretty easily. We are in that phase now.

There have been some minor delays as well as we try to maximize use of our sister companies and integrate them into the sub-contractor processes but they have been pretty minimal. Ultimately using them instead of other 3rd party vendors saves money and allows us to offer lower prices on those goods produced. We can also be a bit more demanding on needs/desires. The greater HPI group has brands we can call upon for a variety of pieces we otherwise used to use other vendors for. A few of those brands are Holley, MSD, Flowmaster, Hooker Blackheart, Flowtech, STS Turbos, APR, B&M, Superchips, DiabloSport, Edge, NOS, etc. All in all there are 40+ companies in the greater group and while most our domestic oriented it really doesn't matter. A pipe bender doesn't care what the pipe is going on after all. As long as quality is good and tolerances are met its good for everyone.
Appreciate 10
cptobvious2531.50
Karazy49.50
pz6193274.00
JeremyDFW458.00
devo755.00
TProfit81.50
ewohar21.50
cncmastr1568.50
      04-03-2019, 08:23 PM   #48
JeremyDFW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
...For context and a bit of backstory-- the development side can easily take 3 months between scanning, prototyping, sound testing, jigs, etc. On the M2C we designed 4 initial muffler designs...
Greatly appreciate the context and completely reasonable - thanks for this Dinan. I think the short story is that people are waiting to hand you their $$$, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Anything you can share on specifically what will be offered? Is it just an axle-back? Is there going to be an option for a full system or x / mid pipe? Estimate on street date and pricing? Taking pre-orders?

Thanks!

Instagram - @its.bad.karma (inactive/parked)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 02:01 AM   #49
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Having to pull and test four different set of piping, before zero out the drone, sounds annoying and monotonous. I don't envy Dinan's engineered; they earn their keeps.

The Dinan example sounds beefy but the crux of the S55 is no matter how much tinkering and sound deadening you try to balance in any exhaust barrel; you'll never get any combination of piping to sound sonorous and monotone, instead BMW program that overrun "pack-pack-pack" in which the break up of a steady exhaust sound, shoots directly from the manifold of the turbos, manipulated by the ECU and is touted as a "feature."

All other manufactures found a way to make their bi-turbo exhaust to sound right. I don't know what exactly is BMWs game plan but it's hard to imagine then can't find a way to improve the way it sounds from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 08:19 AM   #50
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Having to pull and test four different set of piping, before zero out the drone, sounds annoying and monotonous. I don't envy Dinan's engineered; they earn their keeps.

The Dinan example sounds beefy but the crux of the S55 is no matter how much tinkering and sound deadening you try to balance in any exhaust barrel; you'll never get any combination of piping to sound sonorous and monotone, instead BMW program that overrun "pack-pack-pack" in which the break up of a steady exhaust sound, shoots directly from the manifold of the turbos, manipulated by the ECU and is touted as a "feature."

All other manufactures found a way to make their bi-turbo exhaust to sound right. I don't know what exactly is BMWs game plan but it's hard to imagine then can't find a way to improve the way it sounds from the factory.
Quote:
Quote:
...For context and a bit of backstory-- the development side can easily take 3 months between scanning, prototyping, sound testing, jigs, etc. On the M2C we designed 4 initial muffler designs...
Greatly appreciate the context and completely reasonable - thanks for this Dinan. I think the short story is that people are waiting to hand you their $$$, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Anything you can share on specifically what will be offered? Is it just an axle-back? Is there going to be an option for a full system or x / mid pipe? Estimate on street date and pricing? Taking pre-orders?

Thanks!
It's an axleback + xpipe. All one kit although it's not a full traditional catback. Kind of an oddball solution honestly with how BMW did the factory exhaust. The natural cut point for an axleback option has heat shields on the pipe so cutting there isn't convenient or easy. Cutting farther back is possible but not ideal for clamping so we went the other direction knowing we planned to do an x-pipe anyway. So instead of having a "stages" of the setup it's all one.

I have a guess on pricing but nothing official has been decided upon so I won't open that Pandora's box. Needless to say it will be competitive with the other popular options for the platform.

For release dates. Until finished goods are in the building I won't touch that question with a ten foot pole. Been burned way to many times to count. All I will say is we are in pace given a normal development cycle of a new product. You can extrapolate timing from the previous statement and the above if you like but just realize stuff can change in the blink of an eye.

No pre-orders. When it's released it will be released to all at the same time and we will have plenty of stock barring some ridiculous gold rush scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

The S55 leaves a lot to be desired. I don't think you will get an argument from anyone on that. Did fine on every other engine/exhaust sound other than the S55 although from the factory they are getting quieter in general. Still miss NA sounds over anything turbo but that ship has sailed. :/
Appreciate 4
Poochie9099.00
JeremyDFW458.00
Zel33582.00
qnet676.00
      04-26-2019, 10:13 PM   #51
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

Any update on release and pricing yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 11:29 AM   #52
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

I think they said summer or fall. I wouldn't hold my breathe.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:43 PM   #53
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
They told me fall
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 10:46 PM   #54
jdub486
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C dct/ e90 335d dd

Sounds deeper than stock and about 15-20% louder. A nice fairly conservative option.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 09:39 PM   #55
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

And word? This looks like a great option. The Eisenmann also sounds great but the tips look too low even on the revised one, IMO
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2019, 06:36 PM   #56
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

any updates on timeline?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 10:10 AM   #57
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
any updates on timeline?
Would like to know as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 03:57 PM   #58
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
Quote:
any updates on timeline?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
Quote:
any updates on timeline?
Quote:
any updates on timeline?
No updates at this time. Truth be told the manufacturing side of this particular product has been a challenge. Probably this biggest understatement of the century but it is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 08:08 PM   #59
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
No updates at this time. Truth be told the manufacturing side of this particular product has been a challenge. Probably this biggest understatement of the century but it is what it is.
Wow, was just thinking of ordering one, guess that won't be happening. I still haven't seen an OEM M exhaust either. This is the longest wait I've ever seen for an aftermarket exhaust release.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 11:16 PM   #60
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

we should resurrect the oldest APR joke they had back when they were supposed to release the supercharger for the B6 S4 (since Dinan and APR are owned by the same company)..."2 Weeks"
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 07:56 AM   #61
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
we should resurrect the oldest APR joke they had back when they were supposed to release the supercharger for the B6 S4 (since Dinan and APR are owned by the same company)..."2 Weeks"
Still a great internal joke when we have combined meetings. It stings a few of the older APR personnel which is usually the intent. =)
Appreciate 1
2PUTT511.50
      09-13-2019, 08:04 AM   #62
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
Still a great internal joke when we have combined meetings. It stings a few of the older APR personnel which is usually the intent. =)
5 minutes, Turkish....

At this rate, I am having an MPE installed at the port. Will probably go with a Carbahn tune as well. I love Dinan, but don't want to hang out and wait with no estimated time to market.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #63
rjtoudouze
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw M2, 335, Toyota MR2

Thanks for the updates Dinan as disappointing as it is. I guess the only way to get this exhaust is to win the Dinan M2 from BMWCCA. I was waiting to buy your exhaust, but I guess I will need to go with AA instead.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #64
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
i am aging myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 09:49 PM   #65
CountSmurfula
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 HS M2C

Any updates or Christmas miracles?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 06:27 PM   #66
Shaunhmc