BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > IND REFLECTOR not sticking well

02-24-2022, 11:00 PM   #1
Atam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Recently installed the front reflectors and perhaps didn't get all the extra little scraps or something but it seems like not 100% of the reflectors are sticking well. Feel like I definitely did something wrong here.

Does anyone have/had this issue

Was there an additional fix or anything I can do ?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 12:24 AM   #2
EtotheD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

No issues with mine. The reflector area is really dirty because it's in the wheel well. I removed some of the liner screws so I could get my hands in there and clean with rubbing alcohol. Take the wheel off for more room, it's worth it. Used a heat gun to heat up the area before placement. You can either heat it up and try to get it to stick again or buy 1/4" VHB and start over. Use adhesive promoter if you want but I don't think you need it. If you still had some of the old adhesive tape back there then that won't help either.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 12:35 AM   #3
Atam
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtotheD View Post
No issues with mine. The reflector area is really dirty because it's in the wheel well. I removed some of the liner screws so I could get my hands in there and clean with rubbing alcohol. Take the wheel off for more room, it's worth it. Used a heat gun to heat up the area before placement. You can either heat it up and try to get it to stick again or buy 1/4" VHB and start over. Use adhesive promoter if you want but I don't think you need it. If you still had some of the old adhesive tape back there then that won't help either.
Yea I removed the liner as well but just turned the wheel. I got as much of the adhesive from the original reflector and then used goo gone and isopropyl after but there still must be some gunk or just dirt back there…

Most of it sticks on well but it not being perfect bothers me.

Going to wait a week and see if it still bothers me a ton. Next time around I'll look into removing the wheel so I can get my hands really in there.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 05:55 PM   #4
Atam
Private First Class
Rep

so upset with myself ….

Was not paying attention and managed to mess up the paint as I was heating the car….

Atleast the reflectors stick much better
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 01:16 PM   #5
WongF87
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Oh no! Bummer that it happened, but hopefully it is barely noticeable.
Appreciate 0