06-24-2019, 08:39 PM   #1
HazChem
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BSM M2C

Garage List
Cracked Windshield

So I was getting ready to wash my car and as I was lifting the windshield wiper, the wiper came off the wiper arm and this happened. So bummed and pissed off. The wiper is so weakly attached to the arm. This has never happened in any car I’ve had.

Any suggestions other than going with OEM replacement? I’m afraid the dealer will charge an exorbitant amount but afraid to go to 3rd party due to bad experiences I’ve read with poor installation. I don’t have windshield insurance coverage other than the deductible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:16 PM   #2
cpxchewy
Monkey
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Can't you just get the dealer to fix it and then send the bill through insurance? I don't think insurance will increase your rates as it's considered a safety hazard while driving. The deductible should be based on comprehensive if you don't have windshield.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:24 PM   #3
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

That must be the new Arnold Schwarzenegger wiper arm, never seen one with that much power before. Does your insurance cover OEM glass? Make sure you find out before you file a claim. If it does not cover OEM glass you could pay the difference and get the original glass.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 11:10 PM   #4
MisterGoober
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Searching!

Many dealers farm out their install to a private windshield installer, although that installer will use OEM parts if they're doing work for the dealer.

If you have a good relationship with your dealer, find out if they do it themselves or "have a guy". Had a similar experience on my last car during the first week of ownership. Dealer put me in touch with who they used, and even their guy didn't do it right the first time (this wasn't on a BMW). I had hissing noises at high speed and they redid it.

Check Yelp or ask around for the most reputable installers in your area and see what they'll charge for OEM glass.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 07:38 AM   #5
HazChem
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm taking in the car to the dealer on Thursday to get some tint bubbles removed. I'll ask the SA what they recommend and if they can tell me who they use.

I checked Yelp and reviews are all over the map. Some rave about the service and others have horrible experiences.

I'm hoping not to use insurance but if the replacement is 2x the deductible, then I will. I may call my insurance to see who they would use.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #6
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

How the.............that amount of damage was caused by the wiper arm???
Appreciate 1
bplewis24188.50
      06-25-2019, 09:28 AM   #7
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
That's crazy!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 09:29 AM   #8
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazChem View Post
So I was getting ready to wash my car and as I was lifting the windshield wiper, the wiper came off the wiper arm and this happened. So bummed and pissed off. The wiper is so weakly attached to the arm. This has never happened in any car I've had.

Any suggestions other than going with OEM replacement? I'm afraid the dealer will charge an exorbitant amount but afraid to go to 3rd party due to bad experiences I've read with poor installation. I don't have windshield insurance coverage other than the deductible.
Call your insurance.

I replaced my previous M2 windshield at the dealer using OE glass and coding. Cost ~$1300. Different dealer wanted $1500. Insurance would not pay the $1500 but paid the $1300. If a third-party administrator tells you $x call your agent and talk to internal people they will take over and make things right.

Surprisingly the couple of dealers that I called say they do windshields in-house and don't send it out. They say "they" do it but they still call someone in to change the glass.

The coding is for the lane and pedestrian warning recalibration and is ~$300 of the cost. Insurance was fine paying for safety related items.

I only paid my deductible $100.

PS-I am very careful with windshield wipers since I heard a Porsche mechanic tell his supervisor that he broke a windshield changing a blade. Makes me laugh in winter when I see people leave their windshield wiper blades up b/c they are afraid of them freezing to the windshield.

PPS-now is a good time to consider a carbon fiber roof

Last edited by omasou; 06-25-2019 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 09:49 AM   #9
Pilot-Z
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Gotta use the Wiper Fold-Away position... Which I just learned about haha
Appreciate 1
jefe2000739.50
      06-25-2019, 01:10 PM   #10
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Call your insurance.

I replaced my previous M2 windshield at the dealer using OE glass and coding. Cost ~$1300. Different dealer wanted $1500. Insurance would not pay the $1500 but paid the $1300. If a third-party administrator tells you $x call your agent and talk to internal people they will take over and make things right.

Surprisingly the couple of that I called say they do windshields in-house and don't send it out. They say "they" do it but they still call someone in to change the glass.

The coding is for the lane and pedestrian warning recalibration and is ~$300 of the cost. Insurance was fine paying for safety related items.

PS-I am very careful with windshield wipers since I heard a Porsche mechanic tell his supervisor that he broke a windshield changing a blade. Makes me laugh in winter when I see people leave their windshield wiper blades up b/c they are afraid of them freezing to the windshield.

Damn! That is an expensive windshield! I had a telephone cable snap and come down on my windshield on my 3-Series. I got a quote from my dealership for $1,200 to replace the glass. I ended up talking to some guy at Safelite, and he pulled me aside and said, "Hey, I got a buddy you can call. He can do it for something like $200." Dude shows up to my house, driving a Safelite van, and does my windshield and my brother-in-law's Tacoma windshield for a package deal of $350. In cash.

I realized afterward that that probably was a case of "inventory falling out the back of the truck." I still feel kinda guilty to this day about enabling employee fraud.

But, both windshields continue to hold up to this day!
Appreciate 1
Tag18147.50
      06-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #11
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I bought the windshield directly from a dealer for a flat price because had a friend who used a shop ID to get me a tax exempt.. It cost $475 OTD for a 135i OEM glass, that fit in the trunk and I paid Satellite $200 to come install it, in my driveway.. That vehicle didn't have a camera in the front, so I wasn't that worried about any related electronic issues.

Total was under $700 and I didn't have to make an insurance claim.. Even small comprehensive glass claim counts against your overall risk profile, so it save it for the costly stuff..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 05:43 PM   #12
HazChem
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Call your insurance.

Surprisingly the couple of that I called say they do windshields in-house and don't send it out. They say "they" do it but they still call someone in to change the glass.

I’m searching out a local place that my Indy shop recommended for comparison. I’ll compare it to the local BMW dealer to determine which one I’ll do but it sounds like it is a process to install.

Depending on the cost will determine if I go with insurance.

P.S. No CF roof for me. Ha, not for a while!

Last edited by HazChem; 06-25-2019 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 08:53 PM   #13
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

HazChem I work for Safelite Autoglass and I would be happy to help you get your windshield replaced, if you like. We have access to OEM glass and can, in most cases, also complete recalibration of the forward facing cameras which will be required. We can help you compare OEM cost to OE (same as OEM minus logo) if it is available. PM me and happy to help out. I am not a vendor, just a forum member.

Years ago, I did same thing to my windshield with the wiper. I feel your pain!
Appreciate 3
HazChem262.00
Poochie9104.50
Tag18147.50
      06-27-2019, 06:29 PM   #14
HazChem
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
After getting a ridiculous quote from BMW to replace the windshield, I’m going with Safelite thanks to Got f1?. Speaking with him assuaged some of my fears with going 3rd party (which the dealer was going to do anyway).

Some of you recommended filing an insurance claim. However, I just had a big claim for some front end damage to my E92 a couple of months ago so I’m a bit hesitant filing a claim for something relatively small and I’m fine covering it myself.

Also, by going with Safelite, it’s covered when I move from SA to Ohio in a couple of weeks. Will post my experience after the install next week.
Appreciate 1
Tag18147.50
      06-27-2019, 10:53 PM   #15
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

FWIW the list price on the OEM glass is only around $480 or so. I just got mine replaced by Safelite and my insurance company covered the OEM glass for the cost of my deductible, but even if you have to pay the difference it shouldn't be too bad. The installer wasn't able to recalibrate the camera because his equipment was on the fritz but offered to come back if I needed to have it recalibrated (he said with BMW glass recalibration usually isn't necessary). Everything (lane departure, rain sensing, frontal collision warning, speed limit info) all works exactly as before so it looks like he was right.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      06-28-2019, 12:15 AM   #16
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfscoll View Post
FWIW the list price on the OEM glass is only around $480 or so. I just got mine replaced by Safelite and my insurance company covered the OEM glass for the cost of my deductible, but even if you have to pay the difference it shouldn't be too bad. The installer wasn't able to recalibrate the camera because his equipment was on the fritz but offered to come back if I needed to have it recalibrated (he said with BMW glass recalibration usually isn't necessary). Everything (lane departure, rain sensing, frontal collision warning, speed limit info) all works exactly as before so it looks like he was right.
Good to know, I never priced it before but $487, new, is not bad for an OEM windshield.

It's smarter to just buy the glass and let one of the installers do it, out of pocket, instead of dinging your insurance for something this minor.

Here's the instructions, you can also buy the BMW brand adhesive (required) also and have Safelite use that to do the replacement, instead their stuff..

I watched the field tech replace mines, while I examine the work.. I prefer it that way..

BMW Adhesive part # 83192223012

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...indow/HiHSU6zx
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #17
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep

Most insurers do not surcharge your policy for comprehensive claims of which glass is one type. Safelite's windshield adhesive is as good as or exceeds manufacturer requirements and all Safelite work is guaranteed as long as you own or lease the car. Non-OEM glass Safelite sources is generally made in the same factory the OEM is. Very similar to buying a Behr radiator vs a BMW branded one.

Room to provide discounts for customers not paying with insurance is a bit greater than with OEM glass, so for many people, that is the better option. Totally get the desire to have OEM logo.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #18
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Was going to mention comprehensive but not sure how it's code if you break it vs a rock?

Find it a bit funny how in one thread about collision people talk about diminished value and Carfax but in another they are willing to install. Non OE glass which anyone who looks will notice right away.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 04:36 PM   #19
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Was going to mention comprehensive but not sure how it's code if you break it vs a rock?
Doesn't really matter. If it is a glass only claim, it falls under comprehensive coverage.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 06:57 PM   #20
HazChem
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
As much as want the original logo, not worth the price difference unless insurance is paying for it. I’ll be driving a lot of freeway so likely to happen again unfortunately. I’m thinking about getting glass coverage so I won’t have to worry about it again.

Can’t wait to get it done as the crack is really getting annoying.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 07:49 PM   #21
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazChem View Post
So I was getting ready to wash my car and as I was lifting the windshield wiper, the wiper came off the wiper arm and this happened. So bummed and pissed off. The wiper is so weakly attached to the arm. This has never happened in any car I’ve had.
Same *exact* thing happened to me in 1996 with a new E36/5. It never happened again because I'm much more careful now (although I do get flash backs when lifting the wiper arm).

FWIW, I've had glassed replaced by dealer and 3rd party. Last 3rd party I used went to bat for me and forced insurance to pay for OE glass because the OEM stuff had a different shade tint at the top of the windshield. I didn't have to deal with insurance and they ordered the glass from my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 12:06 PM   #22
pablom2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

In February 2 months ago I cracked my windshield just like you, I was washing the car and the passenger side wiper just came off and broke my windshield.

Fast forward to today 2 months later, I was replacing my wipers trying to be super careful and guess what happened again? Broke my second windshield in 2 months. You can't even imagine how pissed I am.

This is the first time I've had something like this happen on a car, and worst of all TWICE. Maybe I am an idiot but this is unbelivable.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT - be very careful when handling your wipers, put some thick towels on your windshield when manipulating them because they also come off super easy and the force of the retracting arm is unbelievable and will slip off your hand, it's like they made it so they wouldn't move while traveling at the speed of light!
CTPJ160.50
chris7197334.00
HazChem262.00