BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > My Brand New M2 Headaches (Follow Along)

06-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
waldrops
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

My Brand New M2 Headaches (Follow Along)

So... Where do I begin? I'll start off by saying I picked up my 2019 Alpine White M2 Competition on Tuesday and am nothing short of amazed at the car. Everything about it was flawless, that is, until I went to get the windows tinted...

The day following my pickup, I arrived for my 8am tint appointment at the dealer recommended tint shop(all dealerships in the area have used him for years). I informed him I wanted tint on all windows and to install PFF on the entire front end and mirrors. Not realizing how long this would take, we agreed to do just the windows the day of, with me returning the following week for PFF. Now its 10am, I had just walked down the road to get a haircut and return to see my car sitting in the same spot, untouched. I'm a pretty reasonable guy and can understand business gets backed up. So they begin with the tinting once they see me at 10am. Two hours later, I get my car back and it all goes downhill from there...

He informs me he installed a portion of the PFF(??????) on just A QUARTER of my front bumper. I felt as if this was his way of ensuring I return to his shop to have the PFF installation finished there. Now I haven't had PFF installed before and didn't think much of it at the time. About a mile into my drive home, I can't get any form of audio to come out of the speakers(FM/BT/SAT/USB). I pull over to turn the car off and reset what I can. Approximately 20 seconds after I turn the car completely off, I hear a very loud electronic crackling sound coming from the speakers. My immediate assumption is water damage to the amp during the tint job. I return to the tint shop, he acknowledges where the amp is, and offers to use a heat gun to dry out the wiring(absolutely no way in hell are you doing that). Long story short, the dealership is aware and I have an appointment on Tuesday to inspect for possible water damage. BOOM, part one of the sh*tshow complete.

Now its Saturday and I decide to take a closer look at the PFF installation... and dear god I wish I hadn't. The cuts were absolutely vile, jagged, and inconsistent. The paint was cut into on a significant portion of the bumper and small crevices. I go to another reputable PFF installer in my town to see how much it would cost to unf*ck this. Two guys look at the car and are instantly mindblown to see the "professional" work. Now the most painful part... They show me cuts along the entire length of the bumper paint, later informing me the entire front bumper needs to be repainted. At this point I'm heartbroken, I had just received this magnificent car only to have it botched by some careless idiot. I've kept in good touch with my very understanding dealer.

In conclusion, my hope is to leverage the dealerships anger, and the potential installer's loss of a massive dealership client(s), to rectify my losses to get a full refund/coverage of damages. Feel free to follow along with my headaches as I will continue to post here as the story progresses. Enjoy a few pictures of my Alpine White beauty as we wait for my Tuesday appointment.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
cptobvious2531.50
nomoracin758.00
ChrisK4449.00
Kattanah136.00
kpham189.50
      06-22-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Dude, I'm so sorry that this is happening to you. It's so hard to trust others with your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #3
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Dang that's a ton of bad luck!!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
twintiga
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Yikes! Hope the dealership backs you up on this. Good luck and hope you get to enjoy your m2 ownership again soon
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 05:41 PM   #5
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Don't ever go by dealership recommendations.
Appreciate 2
10"4946.00
RWSM348.50
      06-22-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
jjarrell
Rep
Drives: Soon!

Sorry for your bad luck but what is "install PFF on the entire front end and mirrors"
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 08:50 PM   #7
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

the amp is definitely an issue. this happened to me during tinting but luckily dried out in a couple of hours and went back to normal after the insane crackling. they have accepted that if my amp shorts at any point they will have to pay. the shop also damaged my side mirror housing with the heat gun and they were out almost $1000 for parts and labor on a 300 dollar tint job. and they struggled with the self rolling windows and required a couple of revisits. finally done right.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 09:13 PM   #8
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

This sounds like a 2-3 Valium affair just to calm down. They actually used an X-Acto blade on the car, only an imbecilic moron would do that. I hope you have a better experience getting this mess taken care of, a brand new car with this damage is hard to believe.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 09:24 PM   #9
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

Wow this is horrible, hope they will make it right.

To ensure no headaches going forward insist on a ppf shop that uses a plotter to cut the pattern. Hand cutting is difficult and it’s very easy for unskilled people to cut into paint.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #10
waldrops
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjarrell View Post
Sorry for your bad luck but what is "install PFF on the entire front end and mirrors"
I meant PPF (Paint Protection Film) or whatever it’s called. I’ll post some pictures of the work tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 10:03 PM   #11
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

It's much safer to get the dealership to organise for the tinting to be done onsite. Those installers pay much more attention to a dealership job and if anything goes wrong it will be fixed before you pick up your car or you can bring it back to the dealership.

Obviously this guy cannot install PPF.

Anyway, hope this get sorted out soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 10:42 PM   #12
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Ugh. I feel for you. This is exactly why I never plan to have my windows tinted. The "coolness" factor is not worth having my interior soaked. I've seen YouTube videos on how they do it. No, thank you. As for PPF installation, it's a must that you vet out installers with positive feedback from high-end car owners. I had my front end PPF'ed by an extremely skilled gentleman that did it all custom hand-cut and even came to my house to do it right in my garage after I had thoroughly detailed and prepped the front end for him. It took me months to find the right installer, but he came highly recommended by Ferrari and Porsche owners, so I knew it was worth taking a chance on him. His work was flawless other than a tiny bubble I found, but to be fair, my garage doesn't have the best lighting, so not really his fault. You should see the hand-cut radiuses of the PPF at all the corners...talk about a steady hand and a true artisan!

Anyway, sorry again you have to go through this. Sometimes car ownership can teach you valuable lessons along the way. Let this be one you don't forget for next time! I sincerely hope the installer makes it all right for you. Good news is Alpine White is non-metallic, so I can't imagine it will be too difficult to achieve a perfect factory match!
      06-22-2019, 11:59 PM   #13
MisterGoober
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Searching!

I'm about to have mine tined in a week or two. If you live somewhere hot, it's not the "coolness" factor but the actual coolness factor. I can feel the heat every day vs. my old car with a heat blocking tint. I'm nervous, but seems like there are several shops in the area that have done a few M2s and M4s.

I'm sad for the original poster. It's unreal how someone can't just say that they're not skilled enough to do something or not experienced rather than trying to collect money on the spot and take on a job they're not qualified to do.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 12:02 AM   #14
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

NEVER follow dealerships recommendations.

For a clear bra install you should of went here.

https://www.enviousdetailing.com/

https://www.yelp.com/biz/envious-detailing-orange-2

I say get the clearbra redone. I got my M2c clear bra installed here and its excellent, 100% custom install without using preplotted film. My friend with his M2c got his car there done as well.

Here is a video of my car.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 02:55 AM   #15
waldrops
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
NEVER follow dealerships recommendations.

For a clear bra install you should of went here.

https://www.enviousdetailing.com/

https://www.yelp.com/biz/envious-detailing-orange-2

I say get the clearbra redone. I got my M2c clear bra installed here and its excellent, 100% custom install without using preplotted film. My friend with his M2c got his car there done as well.

Here is a video of my car.

Okay so I'm about an hour away from this place and you have my interest.

What did you get done and what was the cost/time frame?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 09:24 AM   #16
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I just had my car tinted. I cannot imagine how someone could use so much slip that they would flood the rear and reach the amp. If they did the rear parcel shelf would be soaked and ruined.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 09:59 AM   #17
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

I once had really bad Xpel install. Cost £1000 and i took my car away and never paid him for it. Lucky he didnt cut on the car but fucked up the kit install so badly that i said that i needed the car back for work and would let him try again next week.

Never took my car back.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #18
chmura
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldrops View Post
Okay so I'm about an hour away from this place and you have my interest.

What did you get done and what was the cost/time frame?
Time frame was 1.5-2 days. He does amazing work. I wouldn’t go elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #19
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Sorry to hear. Really sorry about the cut paint. So he was doing custom pieces cut against your paint? That takes a LOT of skill and is not very common any longer given the wide availability of computer-generated precut pieces.

GL, I hope it all gets resolved.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 12:03 PM   #20
chmura
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Sorry to hear. Really sorry about the cut paint. So he was doing custom pieces cut against your paint? That takes a LOT of skill and is not very common any longer given the wide availability of computer-generated precut pieces.

GL, I hope it all gets resolved.
Custom install is the way to go, check out my video in post 14. Plotted pieces are inferior IMO. The amount of coverage of a preplotted piece is inferior and smaller to a custom piece. Also preplotted pieces have seams. I went to a small car show in Huntington Beach a few months ago and I saw another M2c there. His clear bra on the front bumper had an ugly seem on the front. It had two pieces on his front bumper instead of ONE. Custom piece does not have any seams.

People need to do their homework and go to a smaller shop to get their PPF installed and not a shop with lots of employees. Too many threads on this forum, suntek or xpel??? It does not matter what film, the person installing it matters waaaay more than the film used!!

Last edited by chmura; 06-23-2019 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
omasou2079.50
      06-23-2019, 12:39 PM   #21
jashton
Private
Rep
Drives: Shelby GT350

I would go into cardiac arrest if this happened to me lol. This stuff is literally my worst nightmare with cars, which is why I’m so anal about who I let touch it.

I would’ve lost my mind on this guy...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #22
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Custom install is the way to go, check out my video in post 14. Plotted pieces are inferior IMO. The amount of coverage of a preplotted piece is inferior and smaller to a custom piece. Also preplotted pieces have seams. I went to a small car show in Huntington Beach a few months ago and I saw another M2c there. His clear bra on the front bumper had an ugly seem on the front. It had two pieces on his front bumper instead of ONE. Custom piece does not have any seams.

People need to do their homework and go to a smaller shop to get their PPF installed and not a shop with lots of employees. Too many threads on this forum, suntek or xpel??? It does not matter what film, the person installing it matters waaaay more than the film used!!
How does that work then?

Xpel spend a small fortune plotting kits for high end cars. Why bother when you can let someone loose on your car with a roll and a craft knife! what could go wrong? oh yeh.. the above!
Appreciate 0