BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Using a Daily M2C for Track?

01-07-2023, 11:12 AM   #23
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'd suggest NOT swapping brake fluid if you are keeping stock pads. Yes, you will run the risk of overheating your fluid and boiling it, getting fade from this. But if you swap to high temp fluid, then the first thing to go will be the pads (albeit at a somewhat higher temp). Fluid overheating resolves after a few corners, and is much more manageable on track - once you start to cook your pads you may be down to rivets by the time you can pit in. If your stock fluid is the original factory fill then you may want to flush it w/new, clean ('dry') stock fluid. Plus you can still get the dealer to replace all your stuff for free under the factory brake warranty, if you got that. If you like tracking enough to go back, you'll be putting in different pads and that is the time for better fluid.

BMW CCA has the very best educational program available for new drivers; it may vary by region but it is based upon a superior program for instructor training/certification. Do an HPDE with them first.

And to manage costs - track insurance; also the fcpEuro replacement warranty will save a lot of money on consumables over the long term if you end up going back.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 02:34 AM   #24
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2C

I did register for BMW CCA, but from what I see, the Los Angeles Chapter seems to lack in any events- am I missing something?

I don't have brake warranty, never planned on getting them due to value as a DD- Are there real cost benefits to getting this if I track the car?

For now I am looking for autocross events, which seem to have disappeared significantly in the Socal area- hoping to get a taste of pushing the car before I jump in the rabbit hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I'd suggest NOT swapping brake fluid if you are keeping stock pads. Yes, you will run the risk of overheating your fluid and boiling it, getting fade from this. But if you swap to high temp fluid, then the first thing to go will be the pads (albeit at a somewhat higher temp). Fluid overheating resolves after a few corners, and is much more manageable on track - once you start to cook your pads you may be down to rivets by the time you can pit in. If your stock fluid is the original factory fill then you may want to flush it w/new, clean ('dry') stock fluid. Plus you can still get the dealer to replace all your stuff for free under the factory brake warranty, if you got that. If you like tracking enough to go back, you'll be putting in different pads and that is the time for better fluid.

BMW CCA has the very best educational program available for new drivers; it may vary by region but it is based upon a superior program for instructor training/certification. Do an HPDE with them first.

And to manage costs - track insurance; also the fcpEuro replacement warranty will save a lot of money on consumables over the long term if you end up going back.
      01-28-2023, 06:19 AM   #25
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Everyone has different experience thus everyone will give you different advice.
I personally think it’s too early for you to be considering doing too much.

Join an active Motorsport club & do a few track events (hillclimbs & motorkhanas/autocross events are a great starting point) & see if you really like it and if it’s something you want to pursue. Get some qualified track tuition then look at how often want to be on track.

If you find you want to pursue it then the mods required will soon become apparent (that’s half the fun) but a dedicated set of wheels & semis plus a pad/fluid upgrade & seat/harness are the minimum imo.
If after a season or two you get hooked & become serious the best option by far & away is to buy/build a track dedicated car, a car trailer & something to tow it with.

Motorsport is expensive & the more you get into it the more expensive it gets. But it is an absolute hoot & very rewarding, especially if you progress to competitive Motorsport.
But above all else have fun!.
drp087233.00
      01-28-2023, 08:36 AM   #26
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Everyone has different experience thus everyone will give you different advice.
I personally think it’s too early for you to be considering doing anything much at all.
You don't have to be a bitter unknown amateur race car driver like our friend Targa to get on track. Most every organization has a novice group that includes class room time and instructed track time and your M2C is a great tool for trying it out.

There are a number of orgs running events in your area including Porsche and SCCA and both will run great events with plenty of support for those new to the hobby. You don't have to be a member of PCA to run with them.

Check out motorsportsreg.com and you can search by zip and distance. You can also check clubregistration.org but it's less intuitive to use.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/calend...oc=Los+Angeles
Appreciate 2
Maynard3833.00
drp087233.00
      01-28-2023, 09:10 AM   #27
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by drp087 View Post
I did register for BMW CCA, but from what I see, the Los Angeles Chapter seems to lack in any events- am I missing something?

I don't have brake warranty, never planned on getting them due to value as a DD- Are there real cost benefits to getting this if I track the car?

For now I am looking for autocross events, which seem to have disappeared significantly in the Socal area- hoping to get a taste of pushing the car before I jump in the rabbit hole
Factory brake warranty is an 'it depends'. I didn't get this b/c I knew I'd be putting in Ferodo pads, which will usually nix their willingness to warranty the rotors. But if you plan to drive somewhat hard, and hit a track day or two on stock parts, then it will be worthwhile. Rotors and pads are almost $2k per axle in parts at the dealer, and on track you'll definitely burn thru your pads. On my 228 I wore out the rear pads before I started tracking (TCS uses rear brakes mostly), then a full set of pads/rotors when I swapped factory pads back in for a few sessions on track (I'd burned thru the craptastic Hawk pads that the shop recommended day 1 and that was all I had).

Alternately, you might try doing an HPDE first to see if you have the bug - if so you will surely want better pads, and for this the FCPeuro replacement warranty is more useful (you can get the Ferodo 2500's, which are a great mixed-use track pad).

Surprised the LA CCA doesn't have any HPDE, I put out an email to them to see if I can get more info for you.
Appreciate 1
drp087233.00
      01-28-2023, 09:44 AM   #28
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

yeah I would go on motorsportreg and do a search for events near you. Thats how I started and found some HPDEs. However if it was today I probably would do some car control clinics first and then move to HPDE, I mean it was fine going all in too but car control clinics are super fun and almost zero chance of something going wrong and you learn a TON at lower speeds. Also cheaper than HPDE and you really don't need insurance.
Appreciate 3
jefe2000729.00
drp087233.00
Maynard3833.00
      01-29-2023, 04:12 AM   #29
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Factory brake warranty is an 'it depends'. I didn't get this b/c I knew I'd be putting in Ferodo pads, which will usually nix their willingness to warranty the rotors. But if you plan to drive somewhat hard, and hit a track day or two on stock parts, then it will be worthwhile. Rotors and pads are almost $2k per axle in parts at the dealer, and on track you'll definitely burn thru your pads. On my 228 I wore out the rear pads before I started tracking (TCS uses rear brakes mostly), then a full set of pads/rotors when I swapped factory pads back in for a few sessions on track (I'd burned thru the craptastic Hawk pads that the shop recommended day 1 and that was all I had).

Alternately, you might try doing an HPDE first to see if you have the bug - if so you will surely want better pads, and for this the FCPeuro replacement warranty is more useful (you can get the Ferodo 2500's, which are a great mixed-use track pad).

Surprised the LA CCA doesn't have any HPDE, I put out an email to them to see if I can get more info for you.

Wow Thanks everyone for all the advice, it looks like the Track Section of the M2 forums is the most informative/supportive compared to the others. I guess it shows what the M2 enthusiasts are really geared towards!

Looking for a local autocross event (from LA) or a BMW Track day- seems to be the most approachable with minimal investment. Pls advise if any come up!
      02-05-2023, 09:41 PM   #30
rbahr
Private
Rep
Drives: To many & not enough

Slipper Slope - not really, more like a slippery cliff.

My M2C is a track toy. Street driven, but bought to be tracked. Figure costs will be ~ $1000 / day. That includes consumables.

Don't drive the car on the track if you can't afford to wad it up, seriously. Get track insurance - your street insurance won't cover you, unless you have a very special policy.

You will quickly find yourself buying better tires and rims for those tired, brake pads, seats, belts, helmet, hans, roll bar... because what could go wrong at 150mph

Ray
Appreciate 1
drp087233.00
      02-06-2023, 10:38 PM   #31
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

I popped a tire on my M2 on the way to COTA on Friday evening, had it towed back to Houston Saturday mornIng.
Put my shit in the Porsche that is stock and had a great time playing with a stock car.

So go out stock and learn how the car designers felt the car should handle.

Once tire wear becomes a problem think about adding some camber plates.
Attached Images

Last edited by Suds; 02-09-2023 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: Added pic, without pic it didn’t happen.
Appreciate 2