BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Shop damaged paint while removing spoiler + PPF defects

01-27-2023, 08:13 AM   #1
billypopo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i GC, glacier silver

Hi all,

I wonder if i’m too much of an ass or if you’d feel the same.

I once removed a spoiler myself on my previous car and I had damaged the paint. We could see the back and forth motion from the fishing line / floss on the paint..

So this time on my new M2C, I asked an esthetic shop to do it and they said no problem. Well guess what, I see the same (not as bad but still) paint damage. He says ‘it was really glued on tight’ and he couldn’t do otherwise. Being an esthetic shop he also polished the area quite a bit, with no success of removing the damages. Will it be covered by my new spoiler? Yes. Should I be pissed? I don’t know, but I am for now haha. You tell me.

Also, I had them install a full front PPF. There are some places where we can see and feel tiny ‘bubbles’. 1-2 on the hood, 2-3 on front bumper, etc. He claims it’s normal; they can’t have 100% no dust/particules when working. Again, feel this is normal?

Overall he’s asking 4400$ cad tax in for :
Previous front ppf removal
New front ppf
Spoiler removal and install
Ceramic coating

The price is fair I believe, but i’m not sure about the quality of the work…
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 10:50 AM   #2
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

price is very good but maybe there is a reason for that?

I am not a pro and have removed 3 spoilers and never had an issue, you just have to heat the tape enough and the fishing line will come right off. Also any scratches should be easily removed with some polishing, these should only be surface scratches.

As far as the bubbles, some will disappear but yeah if there is dust they probably won't. I am pretty sure pro PPF will have zero defects so he is full of shit.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 11:05 AM   #3
billypopo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i GC, glacier silver

Thanks for the reply. For the cost I asked 3 different shop and it was all basically the same. 70-90$ an hour for ppf removal and spoiler install, 1500-2000 for the coating, and 1750 for ppf. So I went with the shop having the best overall rating…

Not sure what I can do now, I still didn’t take possession of the car and didn’t pay either. Ceramic coating is being done at the moment…
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 08:16 PM   #4
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Do you have pictures of the bubbles/dust? I dunno, depends one where they are I might let it slide but I don't like their answer of oh well we can't do a perfect job, plenty of perfect ppf jobs have been done and continue to be done.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 12:39 AM   #5
speedy_ryan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition 6MT

My front bumper PPF install was 1100 USD from the best shop in my area. Install was basically flawless. No air bubbles or dust or anything. The film did start to lift a bit on one spot but they said I can come in and they’ll trim that part.

Obviously the job will never be 100% perfect, but I think a good shop will get really close to that.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 08:55 AM   #6
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Crazy, in NY front bumper, hood and fenders is at a minimum $2000
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 03:27 PM   #7
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
I was told by my PPF guy that seeing bubbles pop up a couple weeks after install is normal. What my guy did is that he books a follow up appointment free of charge a month or so after install to remove any bubbles and review any other problems with the install.