02-15-2023, 02:45 PM   #67
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Haven't you heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
Which itself was 150lbs more than the original M2. I’m looking at seats to get my ‘17 down to 3300lbs and this will easily tip over 3825lbs.

They’re hustling backwards.
The letter "M", with respect to new models, stands for "Massive"...
Appreciate 2
Altra265.50
///MPhatic13855.50
      02-15-2023, 05:05 PM   #68
Kef9
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Manual, F80 M3C Manual

There is no way I’m getting a G87. I’m sticking with my OG M2 thanks. I am keeping this car for life.
Appreciate 3
m2ss1787.00
      02-15-2023, 09:26 PM   #69
StickyPickle
Captain
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Which itself was 150lbs more than the original M2. I’m looking at seats to get my ‘17 down to 3300lbs and this will easily tip over 3825lbs.

They’re hustling backwards.
BMW lists the curb weight at 3,814lbs w/ automatic transmission and standard sunroof. Just about every M car weighs less irl compared to what BMW advertises, I wouldn’t be surprised if weighed somewhere between 3,750-3,780lbs (which is still damn heavy). Someone weighed their G42 M240i Xdrive (which obviously the G87 platform is based on) and it weighed 3,814lbs w/ a full tank of gas when BMW lists the curb weight at 3,871lbs.

My spec is w/ manual transmission and CF roof so that should shave off another 100lbs or so. Also the standard wheels are unfortunately cast, not forged, so that adds another 8-10lbs per wheel. I just got a set of 827m wheels so that’s some weight savings there and possibly looking at a light weight battery. So with that I would expect it to weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of around 3,600lbs. (Which again, is still too heavy for my liking). Could probably get it under that if I went for the CF buckets.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 06:48 AM   #70
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
The new Brooklyn Grey hides the lines pretty well. If I was forced to drive one it'd be this color.
My buddy of mine has a BG, 6sp, carbon roof on order, I can't wait to see and drive it! I will be helping him find a good set of gold or bronze wheels to make it pop like the one you attached. BG with gold wheels looks pretty good to me, I would bet in real life with correct offsets, it will look mean as hell.
      02-16-2023, 10:14 AM   #71
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyPickle View Post
BMW lists the curb weight at 3,814lbs w/ automatic transmission and standard sunroof. Just about every M car weighs less irl compared to what BMW advertises, I wouldn’t be surprised if weighed somewhere between 3,750-3,780lbs (which is still damn heavy). Someone weighed their G42 M240i Xdrive (which obviously the G87 platform is based on) and it weighed 3,814lbs w/ a full tank of gas when BMW lists the curb weight at 3,871lbs.

My spec is w/ manual transmission and CF roof so that should shave off another 100lbs or so. Also the standard wheels are unfortunately cast, not forged, so that adds another 8-10lbs per wheel. I just got a set of 827m wheels so that’s some weight savings there and possibly looking at a light weight battery. So with that I would expect it to weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of around 3,600lbs. (Which again, is still too heavy for my liking). Could probably get it under that if I went for the CF buckets.
I hope you enjoy it in good health. The design, like the G80, is growing on me. Slowly. Kind of.

I’m not sure the roof and manual net a full 100lb but regardless, the idea that the lightest spec, modified with an ultra light battery is optimistically 36XX is just crazy to me for a small 2 door sports car.

It’s not even about power/weight ratio. There is just a joy that comes with the sensation of driving a lighter vehicle. Reminds me of the Tesla Plaid owner in the paddock saying, “I feel like I’m on the dance floor with REALLY really big girl out there.”

For those that really want to, carbon hoods, Recaros, AP brakes, lithium batteries, etc will bring these back down to earth but I’ll take my 325lb head start and classic BMW gauge cluster for now.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2023, 12:21 PM   #72
StickyPickle
Captain
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
I hope you enjoy it in good health. The design, like the G80, is growing on me. Slowly. Kind of.

I’m not sure the roof and manual net a full 100lb but regardless, the idea that the lightest spec, modified with an ultra light battery is optimistically 36XX is just crazy to me for a small 2 door sports car.

It’s not even about power/weight ratio. There is just a joy that comes with the sensation of driving a lighter vehicle. Reminds me of the Tesla Plaid owner in the paddock saying, “I feel like I’m on the dance floor with REALLY really big girl out there.”

For those that really want to, carbon hoods, Recaros, AP brakes, lithium batteries, etc will bring these back down to earth but I’ll take my 325lb head start and classic BMW gauge cluster for now.
I’ll look for it but there was a thread for the weight savings and the CF roof is roughly 48lbs lighter than a sunroof (glass is heavy and the sunroof on the G platform is larger than the F). I really wish they would offer a slicktop for the U.S. but they’re greedy. The manual is around 50lbs lighter than automatic.

I agree, weight has gotten crazy but it’s pretty much that way across the board for many sports vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 12:26 PM   #73
///393
Captain
Rep

I’ll definitely be interested to see these cars scaled for real world data.

And you’re right. Even a Cayman GT4 is 32XX.

Maybe what I really want is to track prep my S2000
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 12:40 PM   #74
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyPickle View Post
BMW lists the curb weight at 3,814lbs w/ automatic transmission and standard sunroof. Just about every M car weighs less irl compared to what BMW advertises, I wouldn’t be surprised if weighed somewhere between 3,750-3,780lbs (which is still damn heavy).
It's the approach I don't agree with. Power is easy to add, so adding size and weight is easily overcome with additional power. The problem then, for the enthusiast, is that the car becomes unruly, so more software has to be used to fix the issues that the weight and power caused and it becomes more of a video game instead of a driving experience. Had BMW gone the other way, the Colin Chapman way, and made the G-series beautiful and 300 lbs lighter (like the E46) than the F-series it would have been lauded to no end.

I'm sure they have their reasons, they always do, and they are probably good ones, I'm just happy that I was able to procure a nice F-series to slowly diet down to a respectable E46 weight.
Appreciate 2
m2ss1787.00
DanG10656.00
      02-16-2023, 12:58 PM   #75
///393
Captain
Rep

The engineers work within the business constraints. M engineers aren’t drawing up a G87 from a clean sheet of paper free from the constraints of existing within a corporation designed to maximize profits.

I’m sure many lament certain aspects enthusiasts do and in private over a beer would be happy to share this.

No one passionate about the brand and it’s heritage can compare the traditional gauges to the new shite Star Wars kit and be thrilled about it but so it goes.
Appreciate 3
trey1001125.00
chris7197334.00
      02-16-2023, 02:03 PM   #76
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
The engineers work within the business constraints. M engineers aren’t drawing up a G87 from a clean sheet of paper free from the constraints of existing within a corporation designed to maximize profits.

I’m sure many lament certain aspects enthusiasts do and in private over a beer would be happy to share this.

No one passionate about the brand and it’s heritage can compare the traditional gauges to the new shite Star Wars kit and be thrilled about it but so it goes.
Surprisingly I agree with you, but I also feel like the same thing could have been said before the F-series came out, and they knocked it out of the park there, so that shows it's possible the engineers do win sometimes.

I also feel like it's rare to have a truly new design. The newest design must harken back to the older one, and give subtle clues as to what the new one will look like in order to indoctrinate the audience. I think this is where they made their mistake with the G-series. That nose was full on future whereas the rest of the car was a subtle change before the massive departure to come.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 01:36 AM   #77
Beemerguru
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Thanks for the details, the wheels are really nice and has that let me say solid look that goes with the car.
When I started this post I wasn’t expecting to get as much information as I have gotten, a member even posted that it was a stupid question but the number of posts and responses to this post has taken care of that cos I didn’t even bother replying him, you know what they say about silence being the best answer

Now off to see about those wheels
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 01:38 AM   #78
Beemerguru
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M, M2

I’d like to thank everyone that posted and given their opinion on these cars, it’s really appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 11:08 AM   #79
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I've been watching some reviews. It's interesting that the auto seems more suited to the car than the manual.

My thoughts on the G87. The looks have grown on me some until I see an F87 right after. I'm then back to not liking the front and back. The side profile looks cool, and I like the seats and interior.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 11:59 AM   #80
Altra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

+1, dig the side profile, seats and engine. Don't care too much for the panel widescreen. Absolutely detest the front and rear bumpers.
Appreciate 1
qnet681.50
      04-03-2023, 12:42 PM   #81
dukat1
Rep
Drives: bmw M2 og

I'd be happy if they at least fixed that front bumper in a LCI version. its horrific

Time will tell but i think any model F87 will be the one to get in 30 years when we are looking back.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 01:05 PM   #82
Moloc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

It needed to have the AWD and ability to disconnect the front like the M3/M4. Blame the weight on that.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 12:45 PM   #83
zero21
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///393 View Post

The auto is 25kg (54lbs), and the roof is 48lbs. That's 102.

But yes, it would be super nice if it started there and then went down.
Appreciate 0