M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Engine overheat warning

06-10-2022, 12:00 PM   #23
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinchmas View Post
Like ZM2 said above, I prefer the steering and throttle of Traction over the artificial steering weight and touchy throttle in Sport+. I do wish it didn't run the Comfort cooling setting though.
Def could be some of your cooling issues on track. DSC OFF (Sport cooling profile) would buy you more time before the engine gets hot.

Altho, the trade off is a car in the wall if you’re not sure of its limits, or make a mistake.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 12:15 PM   #24
grinchmas
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Def could be some of your cooling issues on track. DSC OFF (Sport cooling profile) would buy you more time before the engine gets hot.

Altho, the trade off is a car in the wall if you’re not sure of its limits, or make a mistake.
Yep! I put it in Sport+ for a lap to help it cool off but next time out I'll probably be in DSC OFF and try out "Max Cool Mode" in BM3. According to PTF it targets 10C cooler coolant temps.
Cary Jordan 91 Oct Tune~ CSF FMIC, DCT Cooler~ VRSF Chargepipe~ MST Turbo Inlet Pipe~ Fabspeed Sportcat Downpipe~ Turbosmart BV~ Ohlins R&T~ do88 Oil Cooler, Radiator, Remote Radiator~ Girodisc Rotors
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 12:26 PM   #25
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinchmas View Post
Yep! I put it in Sport+ for a lap to help it cool off but next time out I'll probably be in DSC OFF and try out "Max Cool Mode" in BM3. According to PTF it targets 10C cooler coolant temps.
I run MaxCool, as well. Buys you another lap or two.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2022, 12:41 PM   #26
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Have you flashed the M2 CS steering/differential/MDM updates?

The steering in Sport+ is noticeably improved and not nearly as heavy. I highly recommend all three updates.

Also, I understand it’s possible to tailor throttle sensitivity via BM3 now so you may want to explore that as well. Together these tweaks may allow you to utilize Sport+ instead of Traction as intended.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2022, 12:58 PM   #27
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
Have you flashed the M2 CS steering/differential/MDM updates?

The steering in Sport+ is noticeably improved and not nearly as heavy. I highly recommend all three updates.

Also, I understand it’s possible to tailor throttle sensitivity via BM3 now so you may want to explore that as well. Together these tweaks may allow you to utilize Sport+ instead of Traction as intended.
Agreed. The M2 CS settings suite our car the best and make everything lighter and not nearly as touchy. I def do not recommend M4 GTS coding.

Hadn’t thought about the throttle sensitivity settings in BM3. Altho, I do like using Sport+ the way it is around town just for fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 04:31 PM   #28
///393
Captain
Rep

For reference. It’s near the bottom.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 10:50 AM   #29
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i

FYI this is the Active Autowerke (AA) track tune I mentioned previously with a description of their tuning process:
https://store.activeautowerke.com/pr...oftware-tuning

Our M2 has seen dozens of track days and after extensive R&D we've settled on a final tune that we believe will produce the most consistent and reliable power lap after lap without falling off or causing any drivetrain malfunctions. Being in Miami, we see some of the hottest and most humid temps in the country!

Approaching the 400whp mark has caused fueling issues with the stock fuel system and adding any more torque down low will cause power levels to drop up top when temps rise. We've been able to extract ~415 lb/ft of torque and ~378whp lap after lap without any problems. When we bumped up the torque to ~430 lb/ft the car would make inconsistent power at higher RPMs due to varied ignition timing and throttle opening. Increasing the power to 400whp led to drivetrain malfunctions caused by lowered fuel pressure.

Our ECU reflash corrects the leaner stock AFR ratio allowing us to increase boost safely and reliably. We lower the AFR sooner and more significantly compared to the stock curve to promote consistent power lap after lap. Piggyback units do not modify the AFR and thus have not proven to provide consistent performance during extended use.

I doubt I'll have the opportunity to test my AA-tuned M2 in conditions as extreme as grinchmas. The worst I'd expect here in the southeast is mid-90's with 80% humidity.
      07-11-2022, 07:38 PM   #30
///393
Captain
Rep

No mention of ambient temps or fuel choice in that description which are certainly part of the equation.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 02:26 PM   #31
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, Porsche 944 Turbo

@ZM2 I noticed we're both east coast residents and track our OG cars.

I have yet to experience some of the issues you're seeing with overheating. How long could you usually go before experiencing limp modes?

Worth mentioning I'm all stock aside from a catless downpipe and intercooler. Stock software
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 03:06 PM   #32
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LiterBeater View Post

I have yet to experience some of the issues you're seeing with overheating. How long could you usually go before experiencing limp modes?

Worth mentioning I'm all stock aside from a catless downpipe and intercooler. Stock software
There are no engine cooling issues with a stock car.

Altho, a little bit of race gas helps on hot days to keep the car from pulling power when IATs > 110F (easy to hit when ambient is >90F). Most stock power people don’t feel the power being pulled on hot days, but it’s easy to see in morning/afternoon data overlays.

Engine cooling only becomes an issue when you start adding power (boost & timing) via a tune.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2022, 03:49 PM   #33
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:

Altho, a little bit of race gas helps on hot days to keep the car from pulling power when IATs > 110F (easy to hit when ambient is >90F). Most stock power people don't feel the power being pulled on hot days, but it's easy to see in morning/afternoon data overlays.

Engine cooling only becomes an issue when you start adding power (boost & timing) via a tune.
Stickier tires will overwhelm a stock setup on stock power. Enables you to ask much more of the car.
      07-12-2022, 04:50 PM   #34
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Stickier tires will overwhelm a stock setup on stock power. Enables you to ask much more of the car.
Have you experienced this?

I only ever ran 200tw tires when my car was stock and didn’t have any issues, while running some pretty quick times on the tracks out here.

Altho, we’re not at altitude, which impacts cooling.
Appreciate 1
DRLane3988.50
      07-12-2022, 07:24 PM   #35
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:

I only ever ran 200tw tires when my car was stock and didn’t have any issues, while running some pretty quick times on the tracks out here.

Altho, we’re not at altitude, which impacts cooling.
I have on both the OG & comp. Stock OG gave it up fairly easy but the stock comp had to flog it pretty hard to get there. Definitely situationally dependent though. Track characteristics, weather, driving manner, etc all that fun stuff make a big difference. My two local tracks - one you could drive all day without cooling issues and the other be running a cooldown lap two laps in.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 07:41 PM   #36
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, Porsche 944 Turbo

Quote:
Quote:

Altho, a little bit of race gas helps on hot days to keep the car from pulling power when IATs > 110F (easy to hit when ambient is >90F). Most stock power people don't feel the power being pulled on hot days, but it's easy to see in morning/afternoon data overlays.

I've avoided the software for that reason. If anything, I feel removing the cat has helped "free" up power and remove a heat source with no cost aside from a CEL.

I'm not sure what the others have seen but I've gone 20-30 mins even with a passenger at times that are well within our "leaderboard" with no issues. I think the others are in hotter climates, however.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 08:07 PM   #37
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:

I only ever ran 200tw tires when my car was stock and didn't have any issues, while running some pretty quick times on the tracks out here.

Altho, we're not at altitude, which impacts cooling.
Altitude, low humidity, and resulting IATs in Colorado definitely contribute. Might be the primary factor for my experience with a buddy's m2C on scrub DH. Upgraded coolers were significant improvement in this circumstance.

Sadly, my car is SC e9x and doesn't tolerate the heat anywhere near as well as the f8x (even with like power).
      07-12-2022, 08:29 PM   #38
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Altitude, low humidity, and resulting IATs in Colorado definitely contribute. Might be the primary factor for my experience with a buddy's m2C on scrub DH. Upgraded coolers were significant improvement in this circumstance.

Sadly, my car is SC e9x and doesn't tolerate the heat anywhere near as well as the f8x (even with like power).
Yeah, my Uncle’s Turner prepped SC e9x gives up after four laps on hot days. Surprisingly, it’s not quicker bc of all the torque our turbo motors make coming off the corners (and lighter vehicle weight).

I mean, I could hit 245F coolant on my OG when it was stock and running 200tw tires, but it would simply pull a little power to keep temps in check. No limp mode.

My quickest stable setup in the summer so far is Stg 2 E30 (415-420whp) with 265/295 R7’s.

Whether it’s an OG or M2C the kind of power I’m running now (480whp/540wftlbs) requires full cooling upgrades on track, so no real cost savings for the S55. However, you can get a little more power a little longer on track with it. Altho, I’ve taken an S55 with less power than mine to cooling limp.

Will see how my latest setup does soon, but won’t be trading less low end torque and worse sound from the S55 for it.

Last edited by ZM2; 07-13-2022 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
DRLane3988.50