BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > 2021 m2 competition & aim solo 2 DL laptimer

07-05-2022, 02:00 PM   #1
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

2021 m2 competition & aim solo 2 DL laptimer

Hopefully I'm the only moron here running a 21 on the track but figured I'd drop some knowledge that would have been helping as I was researching.

Aim doesnt support 2021 bmw m2 yet but with the help of support I was able to get 9 values.

Below are pics of the values and settings. Hopefully this helps someone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 04:40 PM   #2
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Running 2 DL with canbus. Right off the bat I have way more data than I needed. Highly recommend the canbus connection than ODB. Data rate is higher as well
      07-05-2022, 04:41 PM   #3
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
Running 2 DL with canbus. Right off the bat I have way more data than I needed. Highly recommend the canbus connection than ODB. Data rate is higher as well
Got any wiring diagrams by chance?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 04:44 PM   #4
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
Got any wiring diagrams by chance?
Follow this guide on canbus tapping. Very helpful. It's do-it-once worry free solution, and you can use your ODB port for other purposes

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1017936
M1500Z423.00
      07-06-2022, 12:18 AM   #5
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

'21 M2 Comp here as well. I've been running a Solo 2 DL for quite some time wired into the CAN bus. I think I was able to get it to run via OBD with an older BMW ECU protocol, but it's been a while so I don't remember.

If you wire into the CAN, just run the BMW-F_series protocol.

Use the guide that Fabb posted as a, well, guide to wire into the FEM on the passenger's side kick panel. I used factory connectors so it didn't require cutting—takes a little planning and about an hour to execute. You'll get all the data you need (except f'n oil pressure).
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Fabb228.50
pal433.00
      07-06-2022, 11:59 PM   #6
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by "M1500Z"
I used factory connectors so it didn't require cutting—takes a little planning and about an hour to execute.
Part numbers and deets please 🥃
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 12:20 PM   #7
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
'21 M2 Comp here as well. I've been running a Solo 2 DL for quite some time wired into the CAN bus. I think I was able to get it to run via OBD with an older BMW ECU protocol, but it's been a while so I don't remember.

If you wire into the CAN, just run the BMW-F_series protocol.

Use the guide that Fabb posted as a, well, guide to wire into the FEM on the passenger's side kick panel. I used factory connectors so it didn't require cutting—takes a little planning and about an hour to execute. You'll get all the data you need (except f'n oil pressure).
Is there a way you can make a prebuilt wiring harness. I'd gladly buy one
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 10:06 PM   #8
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
Part numbers and deets please ��
Y'all are asking a lot of me . I did this back in April of last year and it took me a little while to remember how I did it.
  1. Follow that guide up above to get everything apart, battery disconnected etc.
  2. Remove the PT CAN wires from connector #8 at pins 47 and 48, these will go into one side of the BMW connectors
  3. Remove the 12v wires from connector #3 at pins 20 and 24, these will go into the other of the BMW connectors
  4. On your AiM harness, you'll add pins for the other half of your connectors—one connector for the CAN wires and the other connector for the 12v pair
  5. Now you'll need to tap the wires on the AiM side of the harness and crimp the factory pins on the ends—these will replace the pins you pulled out earlier on the FEM connectors. I did all of this using some spare wire that matched the BMW colors.
  6. Connect everything together. Your AiM harness should now pin into the FEM with the new wires you tapped into it, and then the connectors will connect to the factory loom where those original FEM pins are now in their new connectors.
  7. Triple check that all your connections match up and you should be good to go.

This diagram I made should help. It's not a complicated task, but I may be explaining it poorly. As mentioned previously, for the newly tapped wires, I wanted to keep everything matching from a BMW standpoint—maybe you'd do it differently.

Full size image

The connectors I got are BMW 2 pin connectors, but I don't have a record of the part numbers. They look like 61132360043 and 61138373583, but I can't say for certain. My buddy who is a BMW master tech hooked me up with some pins I was missing. Again, if you're going to do it this way, get the BMW connectors because the wiring loom pins will slide right in and it's all reversible.

Lastly, when connected this way, the AiM seems to get a wake signal when the car is off (really annoying) so it'll just draw it's battery down over time. My guess is something like the car's GPS positioning or some other self-check signal is pinging the CAN bus while the vehicle is off/locked and it's enough to wake the Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
Is there a way you can make a prebuilt wiring harness. I'd gladly buy one
I'd love to help, honestly, but I'd prob have to charge more than it's worth for me and you right now. I may consider doing that in the future if there were enough people interested/willing to pay enough over cost.
Appreciate 1
pal433.00
      09-05-2022, 08:00 PM   #9
Racerx0911
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Gated R8

Count me in for a harness. I just use track addict and a gps antenna currently.
Appreciate 0