BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - California > Dealership recommendation Bay Area.

06-17-2022, 07:26 PM   #1
Atam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Dealership recommendation Bay Area.

Hey all, I'm getting a ticking noise on my engine and read the forums with people saying it valvetronic motor issue. I had gone somewhere else and was told it could be a lifter issue as well. I brought it in to BMW SF and they did some tests and scanned some codes and found nothing out of the ordinary but was able to hear the sound. They wrote it off as being normal , but I wanted a second opinion . Does anyone have a bmw dealership they'd recommend to take a second look. Since I'm still under warranty I'd rather have them fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 01:14 AM   #2
BMW003E
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS, M2C, & X5

I take my cars to East Bay BMW. Never had an issue with them.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 08:05 AM   #3
rogeroger
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235i, 2002

Nick Lal at Fremont BMW or Tyler Lem at Stevens Creek BMW have been good to work with.

I took my car to Fremont BMW when my exhaust had a very loud rattle at initial start up. Turned out it was a faulty valve. They diagnosed the issue quickly and replaced it under warranty.

How loud is your lifter noise? I can hear a little with my car, not too bad. I'm just going to keep an eye on it in case it gets louder.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 10:37 AM   #4
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW003E View Post
I take my cars to East Bay BMW. Never had an issue with them.
The one time I've taken my M2 in for some warranty work since purchasing the vehicle in January of this year, I took it to East Bay BMW. It was a perfectly fine experience. They did good, comprehensive work. They even covered an issue under "goodwill" that wasn't a warranty item. Based on this one interaction with East Bay BMW, I'd definitely return.
Appreciate 1
BMW003E794.50
      06-18-2022, 02:21 PM   #5
Atam
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeroger View Post
Nick Lal at Fremont BMW or Tyler Lem at Stevens Creek BMW have been good to work with.

I took my car to Fremont BMW when my exhaust had a very loud rattle at initial start up. Turned out it was a faulty valve. They diagnosed the issue quickly and replaced it under warranty.

How loud is your lifter noise? I can hear a little with my car, not too bad. I'm just going to keep an eye on it in case it gets louder.
It's noticeable but I wouldn't have thought anything of it. I took the car over to carbahn to have it stage 1 tuned. I mentioned the noise out of curiosity and they said the noise isn't normal and to bring it in to dealership to have it figured out.

Going to hold off on anything that voids warranty until this is fixed.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 10:52 AM   #6
rogeroger
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235i, 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atam View Post
It's noticeable but I wouldn't have thought anything of it. I took the car over to carbahn to have it stage 1 tuned. I mentioned the noise out of curiosity and they said the noise isn't normal and to bring it in to dealership to have it figured out.

Going to hold off on anything that voids warranty until this is fixed.
Please keep us updated on what the dealer says. Best of luck man.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 12:53 PM   #7
west1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

all these dealers (BMW) are at a high service level. BMW hawks these dealers and anything less than 100% customer satisfaction gets looked into.

lifters on BMWs can make noise. sometimes its the oil level being slightly low. that sound is a light tapping sound audible at the top oof the engine if you have the hood open.

if you truly want a non-BMW warranty opinion, go to an indy shop. they have enough experience with S55's now that they can diagnose issues well. and having a good indy mechanic is wise once your oem warranty expires, should you get to that ownership stage.

looking forward to your report back once you have any new data.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 01:16 AM   #8
Atam
Private First Class
Rep

Brought it in to Peter Pan bmw. Will keep y'all updated.
Appreciate 0