BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > M Performance Electronic Steering Wheel

01-10-2019, 02:38 AM   #1
specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
M Performance Electronic Steering Wheel

Hi Guys.
As at least a few have learnt, buying this wheel secondhand can be a bad outcome if the seller doesn't have the full retrofit wiring loom removed and sell it with the wheel. It is a part that simply cannot be sourced in isolation from the wheel, I've tried shops and BMW parts businesses across 3 continents and sadly no go.

SO I bought one of a forum member almost a year ago and he's been unable to help as he sold the car. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts or ideas on how to DIY one. Or if anyone has the part currently uninstalled soit can be analysed.
I cant imagine its too complex, I have a bit of experience working with electronics, soldering, PCBs etc so am not daunted by the task its just I have no idea what the design of this part is.

For reference, here is the wheel as I received it. I believe the loom in question actually runs down to the footwell area, probably why many people neglect to remove it when selling the wheel and simply unclip from the steering column.

Failing that I might have to fit it to my 2001 Isuzu Ute
Attached Images

01-10-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Did you know they don't sell the wiring harness separate? The main reason why I bought it new. There's a member selling his used so maybe he can help. https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...steering+wheel
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:10 PM   #3
specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Motoring View Post
Did you know they don't sell the wiring harness separate? The main reason why I bought it new. There's a member selling his used so maybe he can help. https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...steering+wheel
Good luck!
No, I certainly didn't. It was some time ago, I mistakenly assumed if someone was selling the wheel they would surely include everything. Fwiw, I don't think it was intentional on his part. Seems a few people have done the same.

Thanks for the link I'll see how I go with that
      01-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #4
lapoune
Rep
Drives: m2c

I remember there was a couple wiring diagrams in BMW's instructions for the wheel. Should have everything you need in there to figure out how to make a harness yourself.

Search the different install threads for the pdfs. I think I had to combine 2 slightly different pdf bmw instructions for mine since some of the wiring didn't match.
Appreciate 0