BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Owner Topic - MR from Czech Republic - M2 CSL Turbomeister Edition revealed

09-27-2018, 04:49 AM   #155
mrspin
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteM2 View Post
I have a M2C and I can tell you the extra weight of the front, revised epas program and strut braces make the front end tighter and the steering have a meatier feel to it.

I had the M2 Competition epas programmed in to my old M2 and the improved steering feel etc I just mentioned was way off (worse) than my M2C.

All following have contributed to making the change...

Extra weight over the front end
Revised EPAS software
Strut braces
Thanks for that.

Was the epas change on your OG M2 just a coding change or a complete reflash/upload?

I'm wondering if the same strut bar additions would make any difference to the OG M2
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 05:08 AM   #156
mrspin
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
It was a flash mate.

Adding the strut will tighten things up for sure.
Great thanks for the info.

Off to get the spanners out!

Enjoy the M2C.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 06:09 AM   #157
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieGrüneHölle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Wow, this thread taking a direction I did not expect. Trading my 17 in a week for a new one. Should I pass???

All the reviewers drinking the Koolaid? About the only automotive journalism I trust these days is Sportauto and they certainly seemed to approve of the improvements in the August issue. I'm a bit befuddled.
Are you buying a European model? Mr. gripes stem from the Euro particulate filters which are absent from the US models. Even then, there is a thread where a Euro member removed his particulate filters, a check engine light did not even appear. Car woke up and sounds the way it should.
Do you have a link to that thread please ?

Thanks.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 07:00 AM   #158
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Do you have a link to that thread please ?

Thanks.

Cheers
Robin
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1539116
Appreciate 3
Moris3.00
Spare°257.50
Robin_NL8716.00
      09-27-2018, 08:12 AM   #159
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Right now, still intending to make the switch. As another factor, got decent trade value in my 17 and I think those prices are really going to fall.
Marc, indeed in hindsight, making a deal on that gt3 would have been a great move. Lots of miles and track time didn't make the car cherry, but PTS always commands a premium. Still a bit stunned that the car sold for low money. The car sold so quickly is only an indicator that it was underpriced.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 01:50 PM   #160
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
I'm a bit surprised on your impressions about DKG on M2C, most of people talked about a big improvement compared to the old M2
I don't think there has been much written about the DCT on the M2C at all. Not sure where all these people are that are saying it's a big improvement, or even talking about anything related to the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 02:00 PM   #161
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
It was a flash mate.

I have recently added the strut (both pieces) and it feels a bit tighter, but nothing ground breaking. Wondering if I changed the steering map, if it would make a bigger difference?? How much does the extra weight of the S55 factor in do you think? I mean it can't be that much heavier in the front than the OG, can it? I guess the stock BBK and 788 wheels would contribute a bit of added weight for the front, but I would think the engine/cooling change would account for most of the difference, no?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 02:21 PM   #162
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Quote:
It was a flash mate.

I have recently added the strut (both pieces) and it feels a bit tighter, but nothing ground breaking. Wondering if I changed the steering map, if it would make a bigger difference?? How much does the extra weight of the S55 factor in do you think? I mean it can't be that much heavier in the front than the OG, can it? I guess the stock BBK and 788 wheels would contribute a bit of added weight for the front, but I would think the engine/cooling change would account for most of the difference, no?
70lbs more in the front and 40lbs more in the rear (with heavier 788Ms and the BBK).

Wheels and and brakes definitely contribute significantly to the weight increase in addition to the new closed deck block, two downpipes (instead of one) and additional cooling components as you said.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 02:53 PM   #163
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Right now, still intending to make the switch. As another factor, got decent trade value in my 17 and I think those prices are really going to fall.
Marc, indeed in hindsight, making a deal on that gt3 would have been a great move. Lots of miles and track time didn't make the car cherry, but PTS always commands a premium. Still a bit stunned that the car sold for low money. The car sold so quickly is only an indicator that it was underpriced.
Oh yeah if only... It is what makes me mad every single time I think about it. The problem was that I intended to get rid of the MINI, get the GT3 next to a daily M2C in 2019. Acquire the M2C now and the GT3 next year.

All of a sudden the Ford GT happened and I had to make a choice. Problem is that leasing or financing in CZ is horrible, else I would have killed the M2C, gotten the GT3 on a lease deal, kept the M2 in May and ditched the MINI after the season.

Looking back at it now, it might have been better, but the GT3 price tag was just too much too soon for me. I could not deal with it all, also because of certain business decisions I had to make.

It is a pity and it pisses me off, but then again live goes on... Let's go back to tuning the M2C and have decent fun with that!

MR
Appreciate 1
neo871142.00
      09-27-2018, 05:28 PM   #164
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
I'm a bit surprised on your impressions about DKG on M2C, most of people talked about a big improvement compared to the old M2
Technically speaking a seamless McLaren-like shift is an improvement. It means no loss of power between gears. If you want the hesitation(kick), you can flash older version of DCT software.
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8716.00
COChris888.50
      09-27-2018, 05:29 PM   #165
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Oh yeah if only... It is what makes me mad every single time I think about it. The problem was that I intended to get rid of the MINI, get the GT3 next to a daily M2C in 2019. Acquire the M2C now and the GT3 next year.

All of a sudden the Ford GT happened and I had to make a choice. Problem is that leasing or financing in CZ is horrible, else I would have killed the M2C, gotten the GT3 on a lease deal, kept the M2 in May and ditched the MINI after the season.

Looking back at it now, it might have been better, but the GT3 price tag was just too much too soon for me. I could not deal with it all, also because of certain business decisions I had to make.

It is a pity and it pisses me off, but then again live goes on... Let's go back to tuning the M2C and have decent fun with that!

MR
Are you referring to Tim's GT3?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 10:33 AM   #166
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
I 'hated' the litterally shocking gear changes in SportPlus in my OG M2. Unnatural IMO. And nothing engagement/immersion or whatever at all. Au contraire...
And it felt like I was doing harm to the whole tranny sometimes .

I hope that's gone and settled now.

We will see next week when I'm going to pick it I up

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 11:26 AM   #167
Indypro
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition 2019

I have mine. About a month now. Sportplus is sweet...gear change and pull all elements. mdm traction control button is a very nice feature so you can pick and chose your fun at any setting.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #168
Spare°
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I 'hated' the litterally shocking gear changes in SportPlus in my OG M2. Unnatural IMO. And nothing engagement/immersion or whatever at all. Au contraire...
And it felt like I was doing harm to the whole tranny sometimes .

I hope that's gone and settled now.

We will see next week when I'm going to pick it I up

Cheers
Robin
You shouldn't worry: it's very fluent. Additionality, with the adjustability of the gearbox (aside from throttle and steering), your shifts can be buttersmooth in traffic even with engine/throttle in sport +. It's lovely in that aspect.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8716.00
      09-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #169
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Are you referring to Tim's GT3?
Yup

MR
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 07:29 PM   #170
Canuckistan
Veni, vidi, vici.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Yesterday I managed to hit 1000 km during my trip to Berlin while running in the car... You all might know what that means if you have stretches of unlimited Autobahn in front of you.

I decided to do a number of full throttle spurts from 70/80 kmh in 3rd and 4th to 170 kmh shifting at around 5000 rpm. I ran through the different modes and the outcome of my tests was .

I did the tests since my car is going to Akrapovic next week and this would have been the last time on summer tires in Germany before the end of the year and March next year when I swap back to summers on the new BBS wheels. I would therefore not drive this set up anymore on the highway any time soon.

The outcome is not positive. Even though that the ASD is not as loud as in the OG M2 (in all modes!), it is still there and masks any outside noise. I have not heard my exhaust in the cabin yet, not one time... No burbles or anything. Instead I hear the dump valve / wastegate release noise in front of me when I release the throttle at lower revs with the radio off. I kid you not... ASD masks it all! The sound of my EU spec M2C is horrible, what a disgrace.

Now lets move to the engine and gearbox combo. The set up is a fail in my opinion. Throttle response in efficient (Yes, efficient not comfort) and Sport is not good enough. In Sport plus it is decent in lower speeds and lower gears, but as soon as you are in a gear too high it is pretty crap. Overall, it has a lazy behavior all around. Same as I experienced on the press trip in the manual. Same shit, different toilet.

The gearbox has hardly any feedback on throttle loaded shifts. On full throttle and shifts at 5K rpm the shifts are so seamless I feel like I am driving a McLaren or a Nissan GT R. Epic if you have a Supercar with a decent speed potential, but this is pretty rubbish.

The problem is now that since there is no sound whatsoever on full throttle, no interesting gearbox feedback and no engagement you focus on how fast or shall I say how slow the M2C is. You are like it is fast, but mwah this is not really fast. Speed climbed nicely and the engine wants to rev but the experience is one of the most boring I have ever had in a M product.

If it is seamless than it needs to be lightning fast, if it is not lightning fast then it needs to be engaging. The M2C is neither of this and therefore it is in my opinion pretty damn boring in this spec. Yes, the handling is better and it steers better, but I am talking about the engine, gearbox and exhaust combo.

I am pretty much stunned how crap it is. Never thought it would be this bad in the DCT, but it is horrible. This car needs a massive tune, exhaust and maybe even downpipes to make it engaging to drive. Right now it feels immensely linear, seamless and all the engine/shifting fun we had in the OG M2 and the ferocious behavior from the M4 is completely gone.

Damn it

MR
In more positive news, Señor Marc has now handed the car over to me so I'm going to drive it to it's run in service on Thursday and then over the weekend I will do a a full B2B with my modded OG M2, be it modded I haven't touched the engine except for a sport cat from akrapovic so the test should be relatively fair... I've driven it for 45 minutes this morning, and initial reaction is ..... it feels like it's lost it's DNA....

But I won't say anymore, I will write a full review with no bias on Sunday evening

Thanks

Kris.
I'm waiting for this B2B comparison. MR has caught a lot of flack for his observations from several pretty harsh M2C buyers. It will be interesting to read another enthusiast/owner review and see if MR's observations are corroborated.

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 07:26 AM   #171
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
I'm waiting for this B2B comparison. MR has caught a lot of flack for his observations from several pretty harsh M2C buyers. It will be interesting to read another enthusiast/owner review and see if MR's observations are corroborated.
Slight delay, tomorrow night I'll post it.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 07:49 AM   #172
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
I’m sure the car will be walking in on crutches with so much promise but crippled through the mistakes of bureaucracy and marketing forces. Then a mystical hand will be waved over it. Then praise Jesus it has come to life. Hallelujah. It is restored. Praise the lord. A miracle!
Appreciate 4
COChris888.50
M-Pilot4859.00
Robin_NL8716.00
Craig335d152.50
      10-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #173
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indypro View Post
I have mine. About a month now. Sportplus is sweet...gear change and pull all elements. mdm traction control button is a very nice feature so you can pick and chose your fun at any setting.
Congrats on the M2C.

Where are you at in Indiana? I hope you were able to avoid Dreyer.

One of the things I am wondering about is how some have reported changes to the way the DCT shifts gears - aka, not as aggressively. Are you experiencing the same sort of thing?
      10-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #174
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Congrats on the M2C.

Where are you at in Indiana? I hope you were able to avoid Dreyer.

One of the things I am wondering about is how some have reported changes to the way the DCT shifts gears - aka, not as aggressively. Are you experiencing the same sort of thing?

With a DCT, there are effectively 3 different things you can configure to either comfort, sport, or sport+.

1. Throttle response
2. Steering
3. Transmission

Thus, if you have transmission in comfort mode, the shifts are buttery smooth. You don't even notice when you shift gears. If you have transmission in sport+ mode, you feel the shifts big time.

(Technically, it's called S1, S2, and S3, as opposed to comfort, sport, and sport+ but whatever...)

Hope that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 12:01 PM   #175
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspin View Post
Thanks for that.

Was the epas change on your OG M2 just a coding change or a complete reflash/upload?

I'm wondering if the same strut bar additions would make any difference to the OG M2
Mr Spin,

I drove GWM2's OG M2 with M2C ePAS coded in, OEM MPSC2 and AST coilovers - in isolation the front end was great but compared to my OG M2 [MPerf coilovers/OEM MPSS/OEM -30min camber correction hubs and zero ePAS coding] it came 2nd place to mine. I think GWM2 will attest to as he drove mine whilst I drove his.

Albeit only 15-20mins drive, it showed that adding front camber [from -1.5 to -2 deg] had a marked positive effect on the helm !!!

I cant comment on M2C steering etc compared to my car, as not driven one yet but no doubt will meet up with GWM2 at some point very soon and maybe a get a chance to drive his new toy !!!

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 12:05 PM   #176
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
With a DCT, there are effectively 3 different things you can configure to either comfort, sport, or sport+.

1. Throttle response
2. Steering
3. Transmission

Thus, if you have transmission in comfort mode, the shifts are buttery smooth. You don't even notice when you shift gears. If you have transmission in sport+ mode, you feel the shifts big time.

(Technically, it's called S1, S2, and S3, as opposed to comfort, sport, and sport+ but whatever...)

Hope that makes sense.
I have an F80. so I understand how it's supposed to work.

My question was aimed at trying to determine if the US owners are experiencing a less aggressive shift from the DCT in the M2C vs. the OG M2 or other F8X cars.

A few folks with M2Cs have commented that the shifts appear to be less aggressive than the OG M2's DCT operated....