BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Not feeling MPE. What am I missing?

02-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #45
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I decide to sell my MPE is anybody is interested. Titanium Tips.

Has fantastic sound, fits the character of the car. Send me a PM.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 04:31 PM   #46
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
So picked up my second hand M2 yesterday came w MPE.

MPE sounds fantastic from the outside. Has a nice growling rumble at parking lot speeds - watching the tech take my car for a test drive around the dealer.

But... from the inside it sounds blah. I thought it was the ASD, so I coded it off. This is windows up of course.

1. You dont really hear any good sounds. Just a loud tone, almost "drony". Its like trying to listen to a movie in another room with the doors closed. Just muffled exhaust noise.

2. Around 2500 to 3200 RPM its kinda drony. Gives me a headache. I thought it was the ASD but its actually the MPE! In previous cars, getting on the gas from 2k to 4k RPM would always produce some fun sounds.... not the case here just kinda bland.

My test drive was a 18 w no MPE. There was nothing w MPE to drive.

I had the install checked by a BMW tech, he said it looked correct. Although he knew nothing about the M2 or MPE, so he was pretty useless.

On a positive note, the cold start was not as loud as I thought it was going to be.

Anyways... is there an adjustment? Bad install? Something I'm missing? Any tricks to getting the MPE to sound good INSIDE the cabin? Or atleast get ride of the drony noises, especially on the highway.

I'm sure i"m missing something. Hopefully it better than this... thanks guys
OP, I agree, exhausts are very subjective, but inside the cabin windows rolled up not the best sound. I think more people will like the MPE than not, in fact passengers comment on the sound, but reading your post, I feel the same way. I thought it was just me.... haha.

In a parking lot windows down it is glorious. The loud drone noise ~ 3000 rpm is not something I like, but again other people love it.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #47
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
It's critical where resonator is mounted. From your picture it's a little upper than original place. How does that serve you?
Does using the stock resonator work? I have mine. Does a dealer put it on or a shop? I had my MPE installed at dealer. TIA!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #48
NellyRod
Rep
Drives: M2

I have the MPE, and coded ASD off. I prefer the ASD off. I do hear slight droning at highway speeds. I ordered the Akrapovic catted DP, so hopefully that adds a better in-cabin sound. If it doesn't help with the droning, then I'll go with the full Akra exhaust instead. I'm also going Dinan stage 4 in two weeks, so that might also affect engine sound slightly.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:06 AM   #49
gtaM2
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGM2 View Post
But is there any way to reduce the 3k drone? Or "it is what it is". I think I read in another thread the MPE removes the resonator? If so maybe that's the issue.

You need to add the stock resonator to the MPE

has anyone with MPE tried to add their stock resonator? does it remove the drone? hopefully someone has tried this, i don't have my stock exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 09:03 AM   #50
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaM2 View Post
Quote:
But is there any way to reduce the 3k drone? Or "it is what it is". [COLOR="Red"]I think I read in another thread the MPE removes the resonator? If so maybe that's the issue.[/COLOR]

You need to add the stock resonator to the MPE

has anyone with MPE tried to add their stock resonator? does it remove the drone? hopefully someone has tried this, i don't have my stock exhaust
I would like to know as well.
Also can the stock resonator be purchased separately?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #51
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

I am quite disappointed in the MPE - Fabspeed SporCat combo. The car is almost undriveable between 2800-3200rpm...at least for me anyway. I find myself having to be in gears higher than I usually would be (i.e. 4th instead of 3rd) just to keep the rpms below 2500 to avoid the horrible drone. I am waiting for the weather to break so that hopefully there will be a local meet where I can listen to what other guys have done -
different systems/combos/etc. There must be something out there that sounds better...maybe once I get past break in it will be better?? Hindsight tells me I should have stuck with stock exhaust and just purchased a different aftermarket system.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2018, 02:24 PM   #52
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep

Real oem shows the part number for the resonator.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...;q=18307854718

It can be found for around $350 USD

Question is who's going to be the first to try.

Location of the resonator is likely important.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #53
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep

Just spoke to a knowledgeable gentleman by the name of Aron from Vibrant Performance in Ontario. Was told that adding a resonator would likely be helpful as the drone at a certain engine speed is due to the vibration frequency of this long exhaust tube.

As for positioning he did say that if the drone is at lower frequency like we see 2800-3000 RPM, then the resonator is placed closer to the front (the cat).
Which corresponds to where the stock resonator lives.

Do we know the tubing diameter of the MPE?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #54
gtaM2
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
Just spoke to a knowledgeable gentleman by the name of Aron from Vibrant Performance in Ontario. Was told that adding a resonator would likely be helpful as the drone at a certain engine speed is due to the vibration frequency of this long exhaust tube.

As for positioning he did say that if the drone is at lower frequency like we see 2800-3000 RPM, then the resonator is placed closer to the front (the cat).

hmm thats an interesting take that the drone is caused by vibration, looking at the oem diagram of the stock exhaust from that link you posted the stock exhaust comes with a "vibration absorber" piece, i wonder if the MPE utilizes this, or if the MPE exhaust can be further stabilized to prevent vibration and reduce drone
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #55
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Long Beach Blue M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
I am quite disappointed in the MPE - Fabspeed SporCat combo. The car is almost undriveable between 2800-3200rpm...at least for me anyway. I find myself having to be in gears higher than I usually would be (i.e. 4th instead of 3rd) just to keep the rpms below 2500 to avoid the horrible drone. I am waiting for the weather to break so that hopefully there will be a local meet where I can listen to what other guys have done -
different systems/combos/etc. There must be something out there that sounds better...maybe once I get past break in it will be better?? Hindsight tells me I should have stuck with stock exhaust and just purchased a different aftermarket system.
Genuine question... Why would you be in 4th at that RPM for an extended amount of time (that the drone would get annoying)? I ask, since the M2 is the first car I drive with a manual transmission, I've been sticking to the recommendations of the computer, which keeps the revs down around 1.5k.

Of course, if I'm driving aggressively, I don't pay attention to that, but then the drone wouldn't be an issue and I wouldn't need to keep there for long.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #56
Philb65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Why does choosing comfort make the drone so bad, at 3k rpm it's terrible? In sport or sport+ I don't think there's much drone at the 3k rpm point. Certainly doesn't bother me. Is it something to do with ASD? I drive in sport+ and it's fine, whether it would be with a sports cat I can't say.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #57
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
hmm thats an interesting take that the drone is caused by vibration, looking at the oem diagram of the stock exhaust from that link you posted the stock exhaust comes with a "vibration absorber" piece, i wonder if the MPE utilizes this, or if the MPE exhaust can be further stabilized to prevent vibration and reduce drone
I don't recall much of my physics but AFAIK drone is caused by resonance. The longer your unobstructed tube is the higher the likelihood that the sound waves travelling back and forth that tube will resonate at some frequency.

All the resonator is doing is breaking up the wave so to speak. The resonator is basically a perforated tube with some fibreglass packing around it. That's my understanding anyway
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:13 PM   #58
AGM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB 17

Quote:
Quote:

Very good so that maybe is the missing LINK
To fix this issues

After zoom my pic I can see the Rubber Mounting
Is there so no that is not he FIX
Attached Images

Last edited by AGM2; 03-15-2018 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #59
gtaM2
Driver
Rep

Quote:
I don't recall much of my physics but AFAIK drone is caused by resonance. The longer your unobstructed tube is the higher the likelihood that the sound waves travelling back and forth that tube will resonate at some frequency.

All the resonator is doing is breaking up the wave so to speak. The resonator is basically a perforated tube with some fibreglass packing around it. That's my understanding anyway
hmm so stabilizing the pipe might not do anything since its more of a sound wave on the inside...makes sense to me.. im sold on the idea ill probably end up trying to add a resonator in a month or so, be nice if someone tried it sooner
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #60
gtaM2
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Very good so that maybe is the missing LINK
To fix this issues
hmm i wonder if the MPE uses that vibration piece
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #61
AGM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes!! see my last 2 pic the never took out that piece
Appreciate 1
gtaM2390.50
      03-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #62
AGM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes!! see my last 2 pic the never took out that piece
Guys, I drive my car with the flappers close
And the sport On & sport + the drone is minimum
And sound more that the stock with flapper Open..
you try that?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #63
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh_kross View Post
Genuine question... Why would you be in 4th at that RPM for an extended amount of time (that the drone would get annoying)? I ask, since the M2 is the first car I drive with a manual transmission, I've been sticking to the recommendations of the computer, which keeps the revs down around 1.5k.
I actually like to keep the RPM between 2500-3000 when "cruising" (i.e. not shifting from gear to gear) so that the car is always ready to go as it is at the start of the power band...if I was to cruise with it down at 1500, I would need to downshift (possibly twice) to get the car to GO! I believe the manufacturer recommends driving at these low rpms as this is the only way the car will make the advertised MPG km/100L numbers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Interested to see if the resonator will help the situation.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #64
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
lol you do realize if you want it THAT loud inside you'll have actual drone.

clearly from the outside it sounds good so who cares what it sounds like on the inside? you're not driving a v8/10/12 soooooooo roll down the windows or listen to some good tunes.

#firstworldproblems
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 06:36 PM   #65
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
soooooooo roll down the windows or listen to some good tunes.
Says the guy who lives in San Diego, lol.

Some of us have temp of -2C/30F degrees bud. Like today. ...and it's March 15th!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:15 PM   #66
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep

This is the best video I've seen on YouTube today LOL

Appreciate 1
///Mē281.00