BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > New MPE exhaust options

05-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #45
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

The 150 M2 M Performance Edition comes with MPE.

Does it feature the new design red button too ?
      05-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #46
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Dynamic View Post
This is kind of absurd if you ask me. The point of the Bluetooth control module is to open/close the valve. Now you're just making people get in and out of the car twice before driving; Kind of a ridiculous design IMO.
Yes... while your car is warming up before your track run, you can open the boot and press the button while you walk around the car checking tire pressures, etc.

I am sure they had to do this to be 'more' compliant for some country.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 10:58 AM   #47
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
This is kind of absurd if you ask me. The point of the Bluetooth control module is to open/close the valve. Now you're just making people get in and out of the car twice before driving; Kind of a ridiculous design IMO.

Can anyone confirm any other change besides this stupid red button? I've had the old MPE for about 8 months now and have loved it the whole time due to the versatility the Bluetooth module brings. It completely changes the car open/closed. I love being able to change the attitude of the car on the fly. At red lights I can open it and it brings the animal out it's kind of insane that they did this.

Any change to the sound the MPE provides now? No fix to the rattle? All they did was add a button that makes you get up everytime you drive now? Whatttttttt the fuuuuhhhh??
I thought the opposite: absurd I could go in TRACK mode with the click of a button. Anyways, I won't complain. I love my MPE.
      05-02-2017, 10:59 AM   #48
M2Dynamic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
Quote:
Yes... while your car is warming up before your track run, you can open the boot and press the button while you walk around the car checking tire pressures, etc.

I am sure they had to do this to be 'more' compliant for some country.
Yeah I get what you mean. Probably has to do with rules and all that it just sucks cause the whole point of the Bluetooth valve button is to open and close. Why add another button to activate the button that opens and closes the valve lol. It's kinda redundant but hey I'm glad I have the original MPE. I've loved it since day 1.

I just really want to know if they changed anything else such as sound.... seems like they made a new one just to add this button probably to comply like you said.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 11:00 AM   #49
M2Dynamic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post
Quote:

Can anyone confirm any other change besides this stupid red button? I've had the old MPE for about 8 months now and have loved it the whole time due to the versatility the Bluetooth module brings. It completely changes the car open/closed. I love being able to change the attitude of the car on the fly. At red lights I can open it and it brings the animal out it's kind of insane that they did this.

Any change to the sound the MPE provides now? No fix to the rattle? All they did was add a button that makes you get up everytime you drive now? Whatttttttt the fuuuuhhhh??
I thought the opposite: absurd I could go in TRACK mode with the click of a button. Anyways, I won't complain. I love my MPE.
The click of a button is the Bluetooth button? That's the whole point. It's closed until you double click the button... idk to each his own. I love the MPE like you I'm not complaining lol
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 11:33 AM   #50
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsches Blut View Post
That's nuts!!! What would the reasoning be behind this revision?
Highly likely for legal reasons. Public roads vs. track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
Why can't this be a button on console like Porsche end of story?
Because Porsche is Porsche.

Just wondering whether the exhaust noise produced when pushing the exhaust icon button in Porsche, Jaguar, etc. also meets the regulations for being street legal.

Akrapovič may like the BMW MPE upgrade.
      05-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #51
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
The click of a button is the Bluetooth button? That's the whole point. It's closed until you double click the button... idk to each his own. I love the MPE like you I'm not complaining lol
Yes click of BT button only. Like you I love my MPE (I think their value just increased!!! )
      05-02-2017, 11:51 AM   #52
Artemis
Rep

Summary: BMW added a 'red pimple' in the boot in the 2017 version of the M2 MPE:
  • to activate 'track mode' with the original MPE version (2016): once you've started the engine just double-click the remote control;
  • to activate 'track mode' with the updated MPE version (2017): once you've started the engine you gotta get out of your car, open the boot, push the red button, close the boot, get back inside the car and subsequently double-click the remote control.

05-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #53
Darekme
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

It shouln't be a big deal to move this button inside the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #54
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

All I have to say is thank goodness I got the original MPE. what a hassle. I was hoping they could fix the annoying cold start vibration. Haven't brought it in yet as it's pretty irrelevant as we're talking seconds but still... a $3500 exhaust shouldn't do that.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #55
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Summary: BMW added a 'red pimple' in the boot in the 2017 version of the M2 MPE:
  • to activate 'track mode' with the original MPE version (2016): once you've started the engine just double-click the remote control;
  • to activate 'track mode' with the updated MPE version (2017): once you've started the engine you gotta get out of your car, open the boot, push the red button, close the boot, get back inside the car and subsequently double-click the remote control.

What does a single click of BT controller do?
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #56
M2Dynamic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
Quote:

What does a single click of BT controller do?
It doesn't do anything. Double click opens valves. Double click then closes valves.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #57
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

CompetitionMotorsport Does the 2017 M2 Performance Edition that you took delivery of last month have the red button in the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #58
Deutsches Blut
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i E92 M Sport / 2008 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinsan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsches Blut View Post
That's nuts!!! What would the reasoning be behind this revision? Is that the only change? I'm wondering if the exhaust sounds the same (as old) otherwise? Is the drone eliminated? Sounds like the rattle at start up is still present. So many unanswered questions.
1. The reasoning for the revision is to protect BMW as far as I can see .

The exhaust in track mode is super loud and aggressive and definitely not legal in the noise emissions in the U.K.

This allows them to sell it to you and not have to make it quieter !

2. Drone is still there at 3000 rpm even in comfort mode with flaps closed

3. Rattle of tips on cold start still present

Hope that helps answer your queries

Finally despite these points I love this exhaust and definitely recommend it as once you have driven it in track mode there is no going back it is insane .

I came from a M4 competition with M performance exhaust and it is was nowhere near as good as this
Thanks for the clarification. I agree, I love the MPE. I'm in Canada and the dealer had me sign a legal waiver regarding use of track mode outside of the track. I have a MY17 with the old style exhaust; thank god.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 04:24 PM   #59
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Guys, after being utterly annoyed for a couple days about this new feature I realised that this problem should have an easy fix to it

We have stuff like TechnicPNP harness for ASD around which sounds like something which required far more R&D than a fix to a button..

If there is any company with the expertise reading this, please realise this is a significant market gap that you should exploit. There's no doubt 9/10 people are not happy about this new feature and would instantly pay for a more user friendly solution!
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2017, 04:42 PM   #60
Artemis
Rep

My MPE (2016 - original version) also features a master switch.

Though under the boot cover, so a hassle to reach if you got luggage inside the boot.

Does that master switch still exist in the 2017 upgrade ?

05-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #61
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
My MPE (2016 - original version) also features a master switch.

Though under the boot cover, so a hassle to reach if you got luggage inside the boot.

Does that master switch still exist in the 2017 upgrade ?

Think the red button replaces this switch
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 05:56 PM   #62
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lop00 View Post
Think the red button replaces this switch
If that would be accurate, then the difference: master switch of the original 2016 version remains active (regardless whether the car engine has been switched off) till manually switched off + more difficult to reach when transporting luggage (because located under the boot cover).
      05-02-2017, 06:06 PM   #63
Deutsches Blut
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i E92 M Sport / 2008 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
I don't really understand why nobody sees the reason they did this. It is to stop people from opening it on the street at random.
Based on my understanding of the process, you still can. You just have to push the red button after starting the vehicle and use the BT to put it into track mode when you wish.
Appreciate 1
Dav3948.50
      05-02-2017, 06:45 PM   #64
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Quote:
Guys, after being utterly annoyed for a couple days about this new feature I realised that this problem should have an easy fix to it

We have stuff like TechnicPNP harness for ASD around which sounds like something which required far more R&D than a fix to a button..

If there is any company with the expertise reading this, please realise this is a significant market gap that you should exploit. There's no doubt 9/10 people are not happy about this new feature and would instantly pay for a more user friendly solution!
I'll charge you $100 + shipping for my 'defeater' harness. It will bypass the red button meaning the '17 model works like the '16 model. PM me for details
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 07:15 PM   #65
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
Quote:

I'll charge you $100 + shipping for my 'defeater' harness. It will bypass the red button meaning the '17 model works like the '16 model. PM me for details
Seriously, mine is the old version, I want it open and close via factory driving experience button. Possible?
      05-02-2017, 08:30 PM   #66
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
I might even take your sarcastic offer
Appreciate 0