BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > The M2 and the 'soda can crunch noise' issue: compilation of some experiences

08-19-2018, 05:00 AM   #309
danm2
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberwalk View Post
Do not assume the clicking noise is minor. Took my M2 in for the same issue and it was a busted strut that needed to be replaced. I was afraid it might be as I hit a really bad pothole a couple of weeks earlier and the steering was feeling a tad loose though it was hard to tell. The invoice is in my glove box, but will update later with the actual diagnosis. I do remember the price though $1321 parts and labor. Ouch!
Interested to see this.

My car has been doing this ever since I lowered the car on eibach springs... the front clicks when turning and the back has constant clunking noises whilst driving that i've not been able to get to the bottom of.

I'm going to have to take the suspension off again and see if there is something there causing the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 06:43 AM   #310
Saberwalk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 RWD DCT M2

So I think that the clicking noise may be indicative of several issues with the front end perhaps due to the acoustics from the engine compatment For the M240, I took it in twice for that sound and the first time it was road debris in the rotor shield. Second time the dealer indicated it was either loose lug nuts or bad wheel bearings. This time, they traced the noise to:
"LF strut and upper bearing. Noted bearing and strut assembly damaged due to recent road impact. Replaced strut and upper bearing due to internal damage. Noise eliminated."
The difference between this instance and the earlier one on the m240 (aside from the car, of course) is that I could not hear the clicking at high speeds in the earlier instances. I could with the window down on the M2. Moreover, the car was clearly out of alignment. Hope this information is useful.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #311
MovingChicane
Been there and back...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Four inc. a '21 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
I heard it once in 1600 miles that I have put on the car. I was backing out out my driveway and I thought I scraped an exhaust tip on the ground as there is a slight incline to my driveway. But when I got out to look there were no marks on the tips. I had no clue this was an issue until I just saw this.
Happened this morning in my new (~120 miles) 2018 M2 with DCT. Pulling out of a parking lot with a sharp right decline... I think one of the tires might have "spun" or been in the air and that's when this occurred. Drives fine still.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #312
shsolus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F87 LBB MT / 21 G01 x30i

I also heard metal scratching noise yesterday driving at lower speed (I was driving in my subdivision so only about ~25mph/40kph), it became more obvious when turning. Then the noise was gone after a couple of minutes. and I could no longer duplicate it.

The noise did not return today.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #313
biomechaniod
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I want to add my recent experience in case it's helpful to anyone...

I took delivery of a 2020 M2 Comp in August. Right away I noticed a significant metallic ping, creak, or tick sound coming from the front suspension. It would happen when entering my driveway or articulating the front suspension but also when turning the steering wheel while maneuvering into a parking spot. It was not a repeating rotational noise associated with the front wheels turning or related to applying the brakes. It sounded like something was loose or shifting whenever a load was applied.

They checked out the calipers and tried the shim fix between the hub and disc. The dealer eventually diagnosed it as a problem on the upper front strut. They ordered new guide supports and washers (basically the upper mounting of the strut where it bolts to the frame) and replaced both driver and passenger side parts.

It appears to have fixed the problem so far...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #314
Boxter'97
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boxter '97 5 Speed

Angry Same here - soda crunch noise in a M2 Comp 2020

I had an M2 2017 that I took delivery in Oct. 2016 with the same issue, front left side plate scratching the rim...
And now I have an M2 Comp 2020 that I took delivery on June 2019 and same thing, front left side plate is scratching the rim...
It looks that these BMW guys have a problem not resolved for the last 3 or 4 years???
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 08:01 AM   #315
Boxter'97
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boxter '97 5 Speed

Soda Can crunch noise

Thanks AriesF80piston71,
I'll get in touch with my dealer and hope to have this resolved one more time.
Keep driving!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 07:36 AM   #316
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoBow View Post
my DCT M2 @2300KM have this sound 5+ times almost at very low speed.
it sounds like my exhaust fall off and dragging in the surface but it just less then 1 sec. sometime it have second noise but quieter. the sound is really loud when the windows is open. I assume outside is much louder because when it happen everybody in the street looking at me.
This is the best description of what I just experienced for the first time driving around 8000km on a MY17.

Thought it was the exhaust scraping the ground for about 10 seconds and eventually it came to a stop when there was a fairly loud thud (had assumed something had fallen off the car!).

Does that thud mean the potential rock/pebble has now come out?
After reading pages of this thread - I'm still not sure if I need to do anything specific to address this other than at a minimum to pull at the brake shield to remove any potential debris stuck there?

Does not seem conclusive that replacement new shield parts address the problem and from what I have read in this thread that the MY17s supposedly have the revised shields anyway?
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2021, 05:39 AM   #317
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

I have some noises that can be heard when pressing down on the clutch at slower speed. It’s as if the clutch or transmission is disengaging or the some exhaust pipes are vibrating a little. 6MT. Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 08:22 AM   #318
LLB-M2
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
I have some noises that can be heard when pressing down on the clutch at slower speed. It’s as if the clutch or transmission is disengaging or the some exhaust pipes are vibrating a little. 6MT. Is this normal?
Have sometimes the same noise. Believe this is normal.
Appreciate 0