BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > NEW RELEASE: Dinan S1 F87 M2 -- Exhaust, Intake and Tune

09-09-2016, 05:58 PM   #67
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Finally got some product photos done as we finished our first bulk run of M2 exhausts (50 units). In stock and ready to ship immediately.

Now you can see a better look at what is ultimately happening going on with the Dinan exhaust and the power of a single valve.

Name:  D660-0056-BLK_1.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  149.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 06:27 PM   #68
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

Nice!! Can't wait to have it installed. ETA on the new intercooler??
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 06:44 PM   #69
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer28312 View Post
Nice!! Can't wait to have it installed. ETA on the new intercooler??
Sample cores are due in early next week so we can officially build the first couple prototypes for testing and potential tune development. Once those are solidified and the bugs are ironed out the bulk order for cores will take place. Looking at an end of October / early November public release most likely.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 07:20 PM   #70
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Finally got some product photos done as we finished our first bulk run of M2 exhausts (50 units). In stock and ready to ship immediately.

Now you can see a better look at what is ultimately happening going on with the Dinan exhaust and the power of a single valve.

Attachment 1490280
Looks fantastic! Do you guys offer any other tip options? I really am not a huge fan of black exhaust tips? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 07:49 PM   #71
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD_F87
Quote:

Attachment 1490280
Looks fantastic! Do you guys offer any other tip options? I really am not a huge fan of black exhaust tips? Thanks!
Black is the only option on the M2. Given the uneven exhaust flow (valve is nearly always open) any other tips would become dis colored quite quickly.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 07:16 AM   #72
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Black is the only option on the M2. Given the uneven exhaust flow (valve is nearly always open) any other tips would become dis colored quite quickly.
I hear you, LOL, my passenger side ones get coat with exhaust crap more than the drivers side. I almost always have the car in Sport plus. The chrome is tough to keep clean.

I have black tips on my RS6.

I am waiting for the Stage 2 setup for the M2. And can you clarify the warrantee. I have read it several times, and it appears to state that if the engine has a failure related to the fact that the Dinan upgrade has been used ( and no evidence of abusive driving) then Dinan pays for all the repairs. I hope that includes the transmission????

Thank you

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 07:57 AM   #73
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
I hear you, LOL, my passenger side ones get coat with exhaust crap more than the drivers side. I almost always have the car in Sport plus. The chrome is tough to keep clean.

I have black tips on my RS6.

I am waiting for the Stage 2 setup for the M2. And can you clarify the warrantee. I have read it several times, and it appears to state that if the engine has a failure related to the fact that the Dinan upgrade has been used ( and no evidence of abusive driving) then Dinan pays for all the repairs. I hope that includes the transmission????

Thank you

Mike
There won't be a stage 2... potentially be a stage 3 (intercooler) and there will definitely be a stage 4 (intercooler/big turbo) but there will not be a stage 2. Just FYI.

Transmission is included. If BMW NA determines that a failure of an OE/Dinan part is due to a Dinan component and thus rejects the warranty claim it will then be passed along to Dinan to cover (parts/labor) during the factory new car warranty (4YR/50k).
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #74
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Why would I choose one vs. the other?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 09:03 AM   #75
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Warranty currently. They will yield the same end result power wise on a stock trim vehicle.

In the end the non-SPORT unit will provide more flexibility and power from hardware upgrades (intercooler, big turbo) so it has a higher ceiling then the SPORT unit. Drivability in general is also better on the full warranted product as it is not relying on the factory DME to auto correct related values. The vehicle is not reactionary.
Appreciate 1
omasou2079.50
      09-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #76
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Warranty currently. They will yield the same end result power wise on a stock trim vehicle.

In the end the non-SPORT unit will provide more flexibility and power from hardware upgrades (intercooler, big turbo) so it has a higher ceiling then the SPORT unit. Drivability in general is also better on the full warranted product as it is not relying on the factory DME to auto correct related values. The vehicle is not reactionary.
Just noticed there was an embedded link comparing the two on the product page...

http://www.dinancars.com/the-evolution-of-power/
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #77
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
The DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 for BMW F87 M2 recommends "dealer" install.

Is that really necessary?
Does it affect Dinan or BMW warranty?

If I later purchase the intercooler, etc. I read that the app allows users to "enable" purchased upgrades.

Do new features or updates require a Dinan dealer visit?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:18 PM   #78
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
The DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 for BMW F87 M2 recommends "dealer" install.

Is that really necessary?
Does it affect Dinan or BMW warranty?

If I later purchase the intercooler, etc. I read that the app allows users to "enable" purchased upgrades.

Do new features or updates require a Dinan dealer visit?
It can be self installed if you like. We would just ask that you have a code scanner/clearer on hand in case an installation procedure is not followed exactly and the car exhibits a host of faults related to that. In some cases those faults need to be cleared before the car can be run again. Warranty is unaffected by someone else doing the install with the caveat of if a problem occurs as a result of improper installation by a non-authorized dealer it would not be covered by warranty.

The app will allow you to switch stages for the further upgrades when they become available (stage 3 and 4) but would require a dealer visit to install/unlock those additional stages.

Updates would require a dealer visit at present but that is being worked on to be included in the next gen app for the full DINANTRONICS system. Slow going but thats the goal at least.
Appreciate 2
omasou2079.50
bim2er223.50
      09-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #79
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
There won't be a stage 2... potentially be a stage 3 (intercooler) and there will definitely be a stage 4 (intercooler/big turbo) but there will not be a stage 2. Just FYI.

Transmission is included. If BMW NA determines that a failure of an OE/Dinan part is due to a Dinan component and thus rejects the warranty claim it will then be passed along to Dinan to cover (parts/labor) during the factory new car warranty (4YR/50k).
Please keep us informed as time progresses about your earlier prediction that Stage 4 will be available in December. I now have an actual car coming (with an actual production number, praise be) so I'd like to keep up with my options when it arrives!!

Last edited by BruceM; 09-13-2016 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 03:59 PM   #80
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Please keep us informed as time progresses about your earlier prediction that Stage 4 will be available in December. I now have an actual car coming (with an actual production number, praise be) so I'd like to keep up with my options when it arrives!!
Intercooler pieces are in the shop and a prototype piece is being built this week for testing (were waiting on cores). Turbos are already here and are just waiting stage 3 / intercooler testing to be finished before proceeding. Chances are most of the development at least will be finalized before SEMA (Nov 1st.).
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 04:18 PM   #81
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Intercooler pieces are in the shop and a prototype piece is being built this week for testing (were waiting on cores). Turbos are already here and are just waiting stage 3 / intercooler testing to be finished before proceeding. Chances are most of the development at least will be finalized before SEMA (Nov 1st.).

Great. Sounds like it's still on track. Keep it up!!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #82
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
What is the expected final HP/Torque for the full stage 3 package?
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 07:14 PM   #83
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
What is the expected final HP/Torque for the full stage 3 package?
Not even sure if there is going to be a dedicated stage 3 package. May not be enough of a delta with the stock turbo to bother with a dedicated stage. Won't know till stuff gets on the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 07:20 PM   #84
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

I've already upgraded my intercooler and intake. If I go with your bigger turbo and tune, would the warranty still apply?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 11:08 PM   #85
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Not even sure if there is going to be a dedicated stage 3 package. May not be enough of a delta with the stock turbo to bother with a dedicated stage. Won't know till stuff gets on the car.
Well, what I meant was the big turbo and supporting mods....
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 11:53 PM   #86
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
I've already upgraded my intercooler and intake. If I go with your bigger turbo and tune, would the warranty still apply?
Warranty would still apply but we would not cover any claims related to the intercooler or intake. Not going to warrant potential issues with other brands goods after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Well, what I meant was the big turbo and supporting mods....
So stage 4 then... =) I think we all expect the same numbers as the big turbo M235i as it is the same motor and turbo afterall. The intercooler is larger and some other minimal factors so we are hoping for more but realistically its probably going to be in the same vein as the M235i big turbo numbers which were 445 HP / 455 TRQ.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 12:00 AM   #87
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Warranty would still apply but we would not cover any claims related to the intercooler or intake. Not going to warrant potential issues with other brands goods after all.

So stage 4 then... =) I think we all expect the same numbers as the big turbo M235i as it is the same motor and turbo afterall. The intercooler is larger and some other minimal factors so we are hoping for more but realistically its probably going to be in the same vein as the M235i big turbo numbers which were 445 HP / 455 TRQ.
And that's to the wheels, on 91? Which represents what increases over baseline measured hp and torque?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 12:16 AM   #88
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
And that's to the wheels, on 91? Which represents what increases over baseline measured hp and torque?
To the crank on 93 actually--- same as every measurement we have ever done (for the past 25 years at least). Measured stock numbers were 360/404 so to 445/455 would be an 85/51 jump at the peak. Chances are the max gains in the super high end end (6k+) will be closer to triple digit deltas.

Numbers talk is getting way ahead of yourself though. This is all just speculation at this point and what we think will be reality. Fact of the matter is we are wrong quite a bit with what we think will be the case and what reality actually is so until an actual big turbo is bolted to the car and it begins its tuning process the numbers talk is pretty meaningless.
Appreciate 0