M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > DIY brake ducts

09-30-2019, 06:40 PM   #89
backmotor
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral gray M2 DCT

Garage List
I found the scoops at a place called N.E.R.P. LLC in South Bend, Indiana. They are for a Mini Cooper V2. Phone 574.303.6377. (sales@NERP.BIZ).
The opening is about 2" x 6", and is for a 2.5" hose, part number MPOOLSOZN, and was priced at $45 USD each.

The M4 backing plate fit the M2 perfectly, but they were rather pricey.

If I were going to do this again, I would just use this with a 2.5" hose. I would cut a 2.5" hole in the stock backing protection plate and rivet a 2.5" aluminum flange to it. Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Co. has all kinds of flanges for 1" to 3" hoses. 2.5" flange was about $10.00 USD each. Their phone number is 877.477.7823.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #90
backmotor
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Try this:

https://new.minimania.com/part/NMB40...Mini-Cooper--S
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #91
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

I found some slick 3D printer designs for brake scoops elsewhere on here and will be fabricating them at work starting tomorrow. Total cost for materials should be less than ten bucks.

I’m going to also be doing some testing with the Porsche scoops to evaluate airflow to the brake rotor, including the use of two GoPro cameras. If I decide to use them, I will try to capture relevant temperature data as well.

I normally hang out in the F80 subforums, but you guys & girls are a step ahead with the cooling developments.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #92
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Double post

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 10-05-2019 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 02:59 PM   #93
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Triple post

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 10-05-2019 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #94
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Could u pls share said designs with us that have 3D printers?

I have to say the OEM brakes are pretty decent with aftermarket pads.

I want to make some modified brake shields, have all the parts but no time
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #95
backmotor
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Keep in mind, the air quality under the car is not as good as the high pressure air at the front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 07:19 AM   #96
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

OK, so I did some airflow observations with a normal wheel well and then the Porsche ducts installed to observe the difference.

As you would expect, there is a lot of turbulent air in the wheel well. I taped bits of yarn to the control arms so I could observe the airflow and they get thrashed around pretty good. At low speed there appears to be a suction effect near the tire's leading edge, but it dissipates quickly as you go faster. There is also a channel of slightly more laminar flow running out from the radiator and along the interior edge of the wheel well (maybe because of the Coanda effect). The yarn in this area definitely followed the curvature of the wall, even with the Porsche duct installed.

I then installed a Porsche air deflector with bits of yarn attached. The video clearly shows the air being collected and very little spilling over the top. The spillage is mostly along the inner edge where the radiator outflow is and a bit over the top. The last photo shows the yarn pointing in the general direction of the flow observed in the video.

Because of the hub carrier shape, I recommend heating and curving the tip of the deflector to allow a little more "scoop" action and for clearance. I see some of you have already done that, though.

My next test will involve modifying the backing plates with some 2.5" flanges to accept hoses from the LCA scoops I had 3D printed. I can't really observe them working with yarn in the airstream, though.

Megator The scoops are here, courtesy of MagnusT

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3566812

Any ideas how I can objectively compare the cooling effects between the Porsche scoops and the 3D printed ducts?

So far, my only idea is to go on a deserted portion of the autostrada at night with one cooling solution on each front corner and Go Pro cameras mounted in the wheel wells. I can get the brakes really hot and sync the videos to see which rotor cools more quickly.
Appreciate 3
DrKevM52262.00
blitzyo53.00
      10-05-2019, 07:49 PM   #97
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
OK, so I did some airflow observations with a normal wheel well and then the Porsche ducts installed to observe the difference.

As you would expect, there is a lot of turbulent air in the wheel well. I taped bits of yarn to the control arms so I could observe the airflow and they get thrashed around pretty good. At low speed there appears to be a suction effect near the tire's leading edge, but it dissipates quickly as you go faster. There is also a channel of slightly more laminar flow running out from the radiator and along the interior edge of the wheel well (maybe because of the Coanda effect). The yarn in this area definitely followed the curvature of the wall, even with the Porsche duct installed.

I then installed a Porsche air deflector with bits of yarn attached. The video clearly shows the air being collected and very little spilling over the top. The spillage is mostly along the inner edge where the radiator outflow is and a bit over the top. The last photo shows the yarn pointing in the general direction of the flow observed in the video.

Because of the hub carrier shape, I recommend heating and curving the tip of the deflector to allow a little more "scoop" action and for clearance. I see some of you have already done that, though.

My next test will involve modifying the backing plates with some 2.5" flanges to accept hoses from the LCA scoops I had 3D printed. I can't really observe them working with yarn in the airstream, though.

Megator The scoops are here, courtesy of MagnusT

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3566812

Any ideas how I can objectively compare the cooling effects between the Porsche scoops and the 3D printed ducts?

So far, my only idea is to go on a deserted portion of the autostrada at night with one cooling solution on each front corner and Go Pro cameras mounted in the wheel wells. I can get the brakes really hot and sync the videos to see which rotor cools more quickly.
Wow, that is some dedication. You must have a sailing background because this is the technique they use to see how the sails are going, bravo.

At any rate, I thin vids will be helpful to show airflow, but temperature strips should help as well. Available on amazon.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 03:12 AM   #98
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
Wow, that is some dedication. You must have a sailing background because this is the technique they use to see how the sails are going, bravo.

At any rate, I think vids will be helpful to show airflow, but temperature strips should help as well. Available on amazon.
Thanks. I’ve got an aviation background, but the disciplines have similarities.

I tried shooting videos last night, and even several repeated stops from 200kph barely registered a color change on the rotors. Clearly, both solutions are working, and my tires aren’t generating enough grip in the low temperatures to really stress the brakes.

I have the temp strips ready to go on, but not until I can get things much hotter.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #99
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I’ve got an aviation background, but the disciplines have similarities.

I tried shooting videos last night, and even several repeated stops from 200kph barely registered a color change on the rotors. Clearly, both solutions are working, and my tires aren’t generating enough grip in the low temperatures to really stress the brakes.

I have the temp strips ready to go on, but not until I can get things much hotter.
Temp strips would be my next move but they are expensive!

Maybe this is an idea https://www.banggood.com/TM902C-LCD-...r_warehouse=CN

Get 2, super glue the thermocouple to the top of the caliper and film each display.

Thanks for the links to his ducts, I think I will end up with a solution like this as the M2C ducts are too close to the tire to effectively use.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #100
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Or let a pair of RejsaRubberTrac do double duty. The thermo cameras are not really ment for such high temps but are supposed to go to around 900 celsius although not calibrated that high up. Maybe not the most serious suggestion but I have actually been thinking on aiming a pair of my RejsRubberTracs towards the brakes to see what I'll see :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 04:46 AM   #101
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusT View Post
Or let a pair of RejsaRubberTrac do double duty. The thermo cameras are not really ment for such high temps but are supposed to go to around 900 celsius although not calibrated that high up. Maybe not the most serious suggestion but I have actually been thinking on aiming a pair of my RejsRubberTracs towards the brakes to see what I'll see :-)
Your project is very cool but maybe a bit too complex for this?

I might follow my own advice and take a wheel off to see if this idea works.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #102
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Yeah, a bit overkill for this hehe
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 04:51 AM   #103
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Has anyone tried using the Porsche front scoops on the rear of the F8X? The rear suspension sits a bit lower and they look like they’d be ideal for routing cold air directly at the caliper. I did a notional fitment with the set I trimmed for the from of my M3 and they look like almost a perfect fit (just a little too long). I’d love to direct air directly at the caliper because I distorted the dust boots previously and this would give me a little more margin.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #104
Tano
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep

Quote:
Has anyone tried using the Porsche front scoops on the rear of the F8X? The rear suspension sits a bit lower and they look like they’d be ideal for routing cold air directly at the caliper. I did a notional fitment with the set I trimmed for the from of my M3 and they look like almost a perfect fit (just a little too long). I’d love to direct air directly at the caliper because I distorted the dust boots previously and this would give me a little more margin.
Yes, it fits. Some of us already applied this on the rear.
      10-20-2019, 08:01 AM   #105
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have a post on the installation of the Porsche scoops in the f87. Look it up in this section of the forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 08:46 PM   #106
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xchange43 View Post
I m resurecting this post but does anyone have tested this solution :
http://www.revozport.com/f8x/rzp-bra...it.html#popup1

looks great but not sure if compatible :
The GT3 ducts are more practical, but damn this one gets me excited
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 06:58 AM   #107
iBrakeLate
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Does the M4 GT4 backing plates fit as the replacement of M2C's backing plates since it has larger rotors?

Last edited by iBrakeLate; 06-03-2020 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 01:54 AM   #108
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

New updated version with larger air intake. Now clears both 18" and 19" wheels and also both the original smaller brake calipers and the larger Competition brake kit on full lock.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4436752
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      06-08-2020, 09:34 AM   #109
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Looks awesome MagnusT! This is likely the option I will go with when I decide it's time to address my brakes, especially because it's not a complete hardcore ducting kit that goes all the way to the front which I think would be higher maintenance to deal with for a daily driver (I think long horizontal tubing may cause rain water, etc. to build up and potentially routed to the brakes).

Dumb question. What are you guys doing about your cooling setup when track season is over (mine's a daily that sees snow/salt in winter)? Take it all apart and swap the old backing plates back in? Plug the scoops/backing plates?

MagnusT, I'll also need to go back a few pages and see which backing plates you're using, or if you've modified the stock ones.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #110
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

I drive with the scoops and everything in place year around. If we get deep snow I might take off the scoops and hoses but no reason to swap back the backing plates.

There is a point with the hose going at a 90 degree angle up from the scoop. I first used Lightweights kit with their scoops where the hose goes out straight out of the back of the scoop. I ended up with leaves and crap stuck in the hose with that setup. Have not had that problem at least yet with my own scoops.

I do still use the backing plate from Lightweight but it's pretty easy to make your own by making a hole and welding on a short 60mm tube on the original backing plate to connect the hose to.
Appreciate 2
gphung193.50
dcmac438.50